I know this isn't a Steam forum and that this site is generally used for Windows related problems, but I am honestly running out of ideas. I have already gone through Steam support. For those that don't know, Steam is a gaming platform/library program made by Valve.
So this issue has been happening for 4-5 months now and I am at a loss at what to do. Basically Steam just stops working and crashes sometimes, fairly randomly. It can be in game and crash or out of game and crash. The program just becomes non-responsive and turns white and crashes. There are only 2 things that I have found to be semi-consistent:
- Most of the time there will be multiple Steam icons in my taskbar. This is not every time, though, so I'm not sure if it actually means anything.
- If it hasn't happened for awhile, it probably won't happen at all. It seems to happen in quick succession if it happens once.
I have tried the following things to try to pinpoint the problem:
- Disabling Steam overlay (not really helpful since it happens out of game as well as in game anyway)
- A semi-Steam reinstall to save my data as well as a FULL Steam reinstall including wiping the registry entries
- Running virus and malware protection
- Uninstalling random programs and disabling many programs at startup just in case there is any interference
- Clearing Steam cache
I am just not sure what else to do. Since I have done a full reinstall, it would indicate to me that it's something on my computer causing the crash, but Steam is the only program I have any trouble running. This also never happened before just around New Years and I have been using Steam for a long time. I am looking for any help I can get on this issue, thanks.