Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HDMI, DVI won'nt work, VGA fine

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 marlow77

marlow77

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 PM

Posted 20 May 2016 - 11:15 AM

Received a new monitor today, a 27" Iiyama job. When first connecting through DVI or HDMI the screen just remained black but a mouse cursor was there, on my windows 7. Graphics are up to date, GeForce GT 240, motherboard is all dvi/hdmi compatible.

Did some windows and java updates, rebooted tried again. This time they come up with just the windowns logo with quite a thick black perimeter. I have googled it to death to no avail.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Humannpower

Humannpower

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 AM

Posted 20 May 2016 - 12:44 PM

Try downloading the drivers for the monitor.

#3 marlow77

marlow77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2016 - 12:54 PM

no such thing according to google.

#4 Humannpower

Humannpower

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2016 - 12:55 PM

Have you tried this with any other monitor?

#5 marlow77

marlow77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2016 - 01:18 PM

no previous monitor had VGA only...

#6 Humannpower

Humannpower

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2016 - 01:29 PM

Does your motherboard have an HDMI or DVI port on it?

#7 marlow77

marlow77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2016 - 02:01 PM

if it didn't have the ports how would I be able to connect a cable?

#8 Humannpower

Humannpower

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2016 - 02:05 PM

Ok so you did try plugging the DVI cable into both the Graphics card DVI port and the Motherboard DVI Port?

#9 marlow77

marlow77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2016 - 02:42 PM

omg I didn't realise there was one on the grpahics card aswell DOH!!! lol thanks I found it now. But I have to ask why is there two of the same connection? it's vga and dvi into the grpahics, then dvi vga AND hdmi further up the tower. There's no hdmi in the graphics, so how do I connect via hdmi?

#10 Humannpower

Humannpower

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2016 - 02:45 PM

Well Your motherboard seems to have an integrated video card but you always want make sure you're using the ports on the graphics card. DVI and HDMI are the same thing so you don't have to use the HDMI on the graphics card if you're using DVI.

#11 marlow77

marlow77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2016 - 03:13 PM

but hdmi sends the sound through yet I'm not receiving sound thru the monitor speakers on DVI? Also I have the standard motherboard set up with grpahics card plugged in at the bottom of it. And then there's more vga and dvi outputs hihger up just under the PSU, this seems to have been the standard on any pc I've bought. only those top two outputs seem redundent..?

#12 Humannpower

Humannpower

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2016 - 03:17 PM

Well it depends if the monitor you bought has speakers in it. You always want to use the video ports on the graphics card itself because that's where your going to get the best quality. If you use the video ports on the motherboard than the video card is useless.

#13 marlow77

marlow77
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2016 - 03:23 PM

dvi doesn't carry sound, google says.

well if the ports are on the motherboard then surely they should work? What's the HDMI port there for it does nothing?

Edited by marlow77, 20 May 2016 - 03:29 PM.

#14 Humannpower

Humannpower

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2016 - 03:29 PM

Yeah DVI doesn't carry sound but HDMI does. The only thing is though is that even though your monitor has an HDMI port doesn't guarantee that the monitor has speakers in it to get sound through the HDMI cable.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users