Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Live Mail sending spam of its own accord

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 awm2412

awm2412

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:10 AM

Posted 20 May 2016 - 10:38 AM

Hi

I would really appreciate some advice on how to remove an infection from my computer.

The issue started about 4 weeks ago when I received a heap of emails advising me that messages sent from my account had not reached their intended destination. Of course, these were messages sent by the virus/malware and not me. 

I ran Norton Antivirus and it found and removed the same virus (W97M.Downloader) from 2 files. (Interestingly Malwarebytes did not find anything.) The problems seemed to go away for about 10 days but then the issue repeated itself. Again I ran Malwarebytes which found nothing and Norton which discovered the same virus in 4 email backup files.  These were again removed.  Another 10 days passed and I thought all had been solved but then the same issue has occurred again today.  This time neither Malwarebytes nor Norton have been able to find any issues.

The Malwarebytes version is from a fresh install today from a link in a similar post in this forum. Rootkits scanning was enabled.

My system is running Windows 10 Home and I use Windows Live Mail for email.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Andy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Humannpower

Humannpower

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:10 AM

Posted 20 May 2016 - 10:51 AM

It may be someone or something that figured out the password for your email account and is sending them from somewhere else. I recommend that you change your password and security questions. 

#3 awm2412

awm2412
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2016 - 11:06 AM

It does seem as though the spam emails are being sent when the computer is switched off which could indicate (to someone inexperienced in these matters like me) that they are being sent externally.  However I did change my password after the second time this happened so I think that I probably do still have a problem with my computer.

I will though change my password again to be on the safe side.

Thanks.

#4 Humannpower

Humannpower

• Members
  • 136 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2016 - 12:03 PM

It does seem as though the spam emails are being sent when the computer is switched off which could indicate (to someone inexperienced in these matters like me) that they are being sent externally.  However I did change my password after the second time this happened so I think that I probably do still have a problem with my computer.

I will though change my password again to be on the safe side.

Thanks.

Change your security questions as well. 

#5 awm2412

awm2412
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2016 - 12:08 PM

Already done!

#6 awm2412

awm2412
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2016 - 03:21 AM

Hi again,

Spam email was sent from my account again last night even though my password and security questions have been changed. My computer was on this time - running an Adware anti-virus scan.  Norton, Adware and Malware bytes scans are still all clear.  Does anyone have any advice of any further measures or steps that I could take?

Andy

#7 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Staff Emeritus
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here

Posted 22 May 2016 - 07:36 AM

1) Are the mails in your SENT folder?

2) It is possible that your email address is being spoofed. This means that someone is sending out mail using YOUR email address without physically signing in to your email account. Normally they won't use a spoofed email address for very long. In your case, that is not true since it is still happening.
When someone does spoof the address, they send mail to numerous addresses. If an email address does not exist you get the bounce message.

3) Malware could be the culprit, which is what is now being explored as the reason it is happening.

#8 awm2412

awm2412
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2016 - 08:29 AM

Thanks for responding.  No, I don't see the emails in my SENT folder.  However the messages do get sent in bulk and it looks like the only recipients are people that I have interacted with before via email.

Andy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users