Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Questions about Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ep2002

ep2002

• Members
  • 342 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 PM

Posted 20 May 2016 - 10:13 AM

Hi there,

So I just switched doing things from a laptop to my 2nd desktop & I have a few questions:

1. On my other desktop when I have a vid on pause on VLC, the computer never goes to sleep or back to the p/w login page.

On the new desktop it does. I don't understand this.

2. There are times when I'm talking on video on a site, & the computer tries to go to sleep. It's really hard to get the computer to stop that before I'm back at the login page & have to waste time logging in again while the other person is waiting for me.

I increased the time from lock computer time from 9 minutes to 14 minutes, but I really want it lower because when I step away from the computer I do want it to lock.

I'm not sure how to solve this problem while keeping my computer safe.

3. When the computer is asleep I move the trackball on my mouse, & it almost NEVER wakes the computer up. I have to use my keyboard.

On my first desktop with the same mouse & the same Win 7, I never have this issue.

4. Maybe it's because my first desktop almost always has a vid on pause, but I didn't realize that when the computer goes to sleep or back to the p/w login page, everything shuts down, that means if I'm downloading something or I have Skype on, they shut down.

Is this supposed to happen? Is there a way to stop that even though it goes to sleep?

When my laptop's screensaver turned on which is sort of a version of going to sleep, this never happened & if someone IMed me on Skype, I'd hear it. With this I can't.

Thanks in advance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:29 AM

Posted 20 May 2016 - 11:33 AM

You need to open the Control panel and select Power Options.

Click on Choose what the power buttons do.

Select what you want the Power and Sleep buttons to do.  I have mine set to Do Nothing.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 ep2002

ep2002
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 342 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2016 - 02:47 PM

Ok, I think that maybe helped as I see my Skype is still up, but I'll try to pause something on VLC & see if that stops the login p/b box.

Thank you :)

#4 DanieI

DanieI

• Banned
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2016 - 07:33 PM

Everything can be found in the Control Panel. You can look things up if you need to. Ease of Access versions of Control Panel can be installed.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2016 - 08:37 AM

Ok, I think that maybe helped as I see my Skype is still up, but I'll try to pause something on VLC & see if that stops the login p/b box.

Thank you :)

There is always the possibility that there is more than one problem.  Keep us posted as to what is now working or isn't working.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 ep2002

ep2002
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 342 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2016 - 04:34 AM

Ok, well the Skype & torrent is still working, so that's fine, but even when I pause a vid on VLC, it doesn't stop the computer from locking. It's not that big a deal, but I just don't understand why my first desktop doesn't do that & this newer desktop does.

I see some posts were deleted LOL

I won't even go into my rant about my Asus computer here, it's a NASTY review.

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2016 - 09:54 AM

If this is only occurring with VLC try uninstalling it, download and reinstall it again.  This could be file corruption in that application.

#8 DanieI

DanieI

• Banned
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2016 - 11:40 AM

If this is only occurring with VLC try uninstalling it, download and reinstall it again.  This could be file corruption in that application.

Agreed. If a program doesn't work, reinstall it, or simply try an alternative such as Windows Media Player (built in to your computer).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users