Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Unmountable Boot Volume - wish to retrieve data

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 XML2005

XML2005

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:17 PM

Posted 20 May 2016 - 09:44 AM

Trying to help a friend with an Asus Notebook Windows 7 Home (don't even know if it's 32-bit or 64-bit) that got an Unmountable Boot Volume. Caused a BSOD. Unfortunately, she has no repair or reinstall disks, and no backup! We cannot get into safe mode. I tried running startup repair, but it ran 3 days and never finished. I could not get into diagnostics. Is there any way I can retrieve her data for her? Would Paragon Rescue Kit work. That is, do I need to have prepared it before the notebook failed, or can I prepare it now (without knowing if 64-bit or 32-bit)? 

Thank you for your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2016 - 05:21 PM

Although I've never used it, it looks like Paragon Rescue Kit should be able to access her data - if the hard drive is still OK.

But, the only easy way to find out is to try it.  You can prepare a bootable disk on another computer and then attempt to boot from it in the Asus laptop.

Once the data is recovered (or if you can't recover it), then try these free bootable hardware diagnostics (start with the hard drive test):  http://www.carrona.org/hwdiag.html

Don't worry about the 32 vs 64 bit right now.

You will have to worry about it if you plan to reinstall Windows.

If reinstalling Windows - does the system have a readable Windows 7 product key on the bottom?

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 XML2005

XML2005
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2016 - 09:40 AM

I tried Paragon Rescue Kit and Stellar Phoenix, with no results. So I bought a little Sabrent USB Sata/IDE hard drive converter. I removed the hard drive and hooked it up via the converter to my desktop. My desktop recognizes the now external drive, and I hear it whirring; but when I try to open the drive or run a chkdsk on it, I get the error "Invalid Parameter". Anyone know of any possible solution for this? Thank you.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 31 May 2016 - 10:53 AM

Despite it's appearance, the Sabrent type devices are delicate and sensitive.  Ensure that everything is plugged in firmly.

Also, it may be that the drive has died, so you can't access it.

Try downloading/installing a copy of W10 (no need to activate it) on the SSD (without the HDD connected).

If that works, then you'll have to find a copy of W7 and a way to extract the product key.

FYI - I use GetDataBack for data recovery ( http://www.runtime.org ).  It's free to see what it can recover - then it's $80 (US) to actually recover the data

There are other free tools (pcinspector.de is one), but they're very complicated to use.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,517 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:17 PM

Posted 31 May 2016 - 11:03 AM

I can suggest what has worked for me in the past: Puppy Linux on usb or dvd boot and copy off the desired folders/files onto any external media.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#6 XML2005

XML2005
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2016 - 10:13 AM

Thank you so much, RolandJS! My friend needed this data for a big home project she's starting in July. This weekend, I finally bought a Sabrent adapter and burned a copy of Slacko Puppy Linux to CD, as per your recommendation. Her hard drive was very compromised, yet I managed to get back all her important files, and about 95% of all her files!

My friend and I both thank you so much. I'm so glad I learned to do this.

#7 XML2005

XML2005
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 129 posts
  •  

Posted 21 June 2016 - 10:14 AM

Clarification: I bought the Sabrent a while ago, but it didn't help till I got Pupply Linux!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users