Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

No boot options at all

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 LH47

LH47

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:29 AM

Posted 20 May 2016 - 07:46 AM

(I'm sure this discussion must exist already, but I can't find any search feature ....does it exist?)

I have a white box (Asus mobo) desktop that just plain won't boot Win 10. But I can't get into any boot options at all -- no f8, no DEL for BIOS,. no Shift + f8---nuttin', so I can't access command prompt, rescue disk, etc. I've tried most every key combo, I think.

Is it bricked?? :unsure:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,110 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2016 - 09:02 AM

Look on the ASUS support website for their UEFI invocation technique.  Generally it is a repeated key press when booting up, but what key that is now varies pretty widely by manufacturer.  On my HP laptop it's ESC.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#3 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,667 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 20 May 2016 - 10:25 AM

Which Asus? I have an Asus and it is repeated pressing of the delete key right after I power up. It works for me.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#4 LH47

LH47
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2016 - 11:30 AM

It's supposed to be DEL on this one, too. Just not working.

And actually, now the computer is booting again. I read somewhere that the boot options will only appear when the PC won't boot. It did work on a friend's HP laptop with a dead hard drive.

"UEFI invocation"  ! (Sounds like a rite of passage. "I have to go out and buy a dress for my UEFI Invocation....")  :graduate:

Thanks for that. I could never think of the correct term to google!

Edited by LH47, 20 May 2016 - 11:31 AM.

#5 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,110 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2016 - 12:23 PM

It's supposed to be DEL on this one, too. Just not working.

And actually, now the computer is booting again. I read somewhere that the boot options will only appear when the PC won't boot. It did work on a friend's HP laptop with a dead hard drive.

"UEFI invocation"  ! (Sounds like a rite of passage. "I have to go out and buy a dress for my UEFI Invocation....")  :graduate:

Thanks for that. I could never think of the correct term to google!

Actually, while I can't say that the statement about boot options only appearing when the PC won't boot is never true, it has never been true in my time working with PCs since the mid-1980s.   In order to change anything like boot order and a wide array of other things you need to be able to invoke UEFI during any perfectly normal boot. See my thread on an HP UEFI boot (with screen shots!!) in this very forum.

Just like you had to be able to bring up BIOS back when BIOS was BIOS you now have to be able to bring up UEFI if you even want to get to the BIOS part of it, and that's at any boot time.

Edited by britechguy, 20 May 2016 - 12:28 PM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

~ Austin O'Malley

#6 LH47

LH47
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 31 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2016 - 12:04 PM

Before Windows 10, I used to think that things were pretty uniform among different models and makes. But I can't seem to make this white box desktop boot to UEFI no matter what I do. It won't boot to a CD, or even to a USB Win 10 install disk.

Is it because I upgraded from Win 7 Pro? Or is it because Win 10 is completely ...um....well......ahem.......FUBAR?   :smash:

#7 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,110 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2016 - 07:48 PM

Something that just hit me, because it's been discussed over the last day on another group I haunt, is that you could be encountering this issue because Fast Start is enabled (and has been, by default, since Windows 8 - there's nothing 10 specific about this at all).

When Fast Start is on when you use "Shut Down" to do what you think would be a complete shutdown of the computer it doesn't really shut down, but instead goes into a specialized form of hibernation.  When it's turned on again it does not boot from scratch but instead reads the hiberfile, and the usual early boot steps do not take place.

You can get around this in one of two ways.  You can turn off Fast Start by going to the Power Settings, "Change what the Power Button does," link and when that dialog opens there will be a link at the top that says something like, "Enable options that are not currently available," which, when clicked, will cause all the checkboxes that are stippled out at the bottom of the dialog, including the one for Fast Start, to become accessible.  Uncheck it and then when you shut down you actually shut all the way down.

Another option, if you prefer to keep Fast Start enabled, is to do a Restart.  Oddly enough (to me, anyway) Restart does a full shutdown and automatically restarts the computer which then loads everything from scratch.  If you start hitting your UEFI invocation key after the screen goes black and keep hitting it about once per second as the restart proceeds you'll get your UEFI menu screen.

Of course it won't boot using optical media or bootable USB because in order to tell it to do this you must first access the BIOS options, which look pretty much just like they always did, via your UEFI menu.  You're in a catch 22 because things changed post Win7 and you've not gone down this path (yet) for the first time.  There is nothing so constant as change.

Edited by britechguy, 21 May 2016 - 07:50 PM.

~ Austin O'Malley

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users