Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Intel 4790 (non-k) temps—should I worry?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Generator22

Generator22

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 AM

Posted 20 May 2016 - 07:41 AM

Hi, everyone, noob question here. My CPU temp is 45°C when idle, up to the higher 80s when gaming, and up to 95° when encoding video. After reading some articles, I see that this is definitely above normal (which is around 30° idle and 50° when gaming). My question is if these temps are something I should actually worry about—especially if there's a chance they will shorten my CPU's useful life—or if this is a case of "lower would be better, but it's ok and it won't kill your processor."

Edited by Generator22, 20 May 2016 - 08:01 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,346 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 PM

Posted 20 May 2016 - 08:32 AM

What CPU cooler? If stock, then that's normal.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,393 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 AM

Posted 20 May 2016 - 11:42 AM

80c to 95c most certainly is not normal.

What is the make and model of this computer?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Generator22

Generator22
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 AM

Posted 20 May 2016 - 12:17 PM

Hi, thanks for your reply. This computer was custom built at a store and these are the specs:

Intel Core i7-4790 @ 3.60GHz

ASUS Z97M Plus Motherboard

16GB RAM

AMD Radeon R9 280x

256GB SSD
2TB HDD
Win7 Pro 64-bit SP1

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,393 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 AM

Posted 20 May 2016 - 12:41 PM

The motherboard is a micro ATX form factor, is the case a full size ATX or a Micro ATX?

You GPU is going to be capable of generating a fair amount of heat if this is a Micro ATX case.  

You listed everything except the make and model of the PSU, please provide this.  The manufacturer suggests a minimum of a 750W PSU.

In order to inspect the inside of the case you will need to remove the side panel.  Touch the metal of the case to discharge any static electricity before you touch anything inside the case.

Have you checked the fan and heatsink on the CPU to see if it needs to be blown out?  You should check the fans on the GPU as well.  If these are dusty purchase a canned Duster and blow them out.

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download. 

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Edited by dc3, 20 May 2016 - 12:43 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,346 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:54 PM

Posted 20 May 2016 - 01:15 PM

i7-4790K with stock cooler running prime http://i2.wp.com/www.ocdrift.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/4790K-stock.png

So 95c is quite normal during video editing or similar heavy use. Reason for high temps is crappy stock cooler, it looks like that http://imagescdn.tweaktown.com/content/6/4/6486_06_intel_4790k_devil_s_canyon_s_spec_sr219_cpu_overclocking_report.jpg

Also bad paste under HS cause higher temps. This is Intel's so called "quality".

Hi, thanks for your reply. This computer was custom built at a store and these are the specs:

Intel Core i7-4790 @ 3.60GHz

ASUS Z97M Plus Motherboard

16GB RAM

AMD Radeon R9 280x

256GB SSD
2TB HDD
Win7 Pro 64-bit SP1

And cooler is stock cooler or "boxed" cooler? If yes, then switch to better one. If there is better than stock cooler, then you need to check that contact is OK.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users