Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Once again I need help!

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 HalfBreed

HalfBreed

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:44 PM

Posted 20 May 2016 - 06:11 AM

I have windows 8.1 on my PC with Fire Fox. I made the mistake of refreshing it because it said I would not lose any info. Well so much for not losing anything. I lost my Bookmark list. I have the file on my Desktop that says old Fire Fox data but have tried everything they say to get my Bookmarks back, but I guess I'm not smart enough to understand their instructions. Can someone tell me how to get them back so a old man can under stand. Thanks in advance for any and all help.

HalfBreed

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,318 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2016 - 06:27 AM

Try importing. Open Firefox > click on Bookmarks > click on Show All Bookmarks > Click on Import and Backup

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 HalfBreed

HalfBreed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2016 - 07:19 AM

By starting at the old firefox data icon onDesktop

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,318 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2016 - 07:41 AM

Don't click on the old Firefox data. You want to open Firefox and then follow the directions I gave.

What was the reason for refreshing Firefox?

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 HalfBreed

HalfBreed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2016 - 07:50 AM

I was trying to speed up my Comp at start up, stupid huh!!!

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,318 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2016 - 08:49 AM

You may have a bunch of programs in startup that you can disable. Generally, Firefox would not be in your startup.

If you would like, install CCleaner and post the THREE lists using the directions below for a second opinion.

Use CCleaner to remove Temporary files, program caches, cookies, logs, etc. Use the Default settings. No need to use the

Registry Cleaning Tool...risky. Pay close attention while installing and UNcheck offers of toolbars....especially Google.

After install, open CCleaner and run by clicking on the Run Cleaner button in the bottom right corner.

CCleaner - PC Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download

Post the three lists mentioned below using CCleaner.

Open CCleaner and click on Tools. Choose Startups. On that page you will see a list of Windows Startups and at the top tabs for each browser and Scheduled Tasks.

At the bottom right of that page you will see a button when clicked will allow you to Copy and Paste the list of Windows Startups and Scheduled Tasks into your next

post. Please do that.

Open CCleaner and click on Tools. Choose Uninstall. On that page you will see a list of programs installed on your computer and at the bottom right of that page you

will see a button when clicked will allow you to Copy and Paste that list in your next post. Please do that.

#7 HalfBreed

HalfBreed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2016 - 09:02 AM

well I followed your instructions and got to the export to HTML & still no Bookmarks, I guess they're just gone. I keep running into a file that says bookmark back up and when I click on it I get to a Jasonl4z file. I've tried notepad, word pad and 2-3 other programs to open it, even googled how to open and it states that Firefox or any of the other I've tried should open a jason file but I can't get it to. Thanks for trying to help, I bet I don't do something stupid like this again. I have to head to bed soon I have to work tonight but I will get to the cc cleaner as you suggested and post it so you might can help.

#8 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,318 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2016 - 09:13 AM

IMPORT....not export.

Yeah...you are doing something wrong. Once you hit import does it list the backup on your desktop along with other locations such as

another browser?

#9 HalfBreed

HalfBreed
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2016 - 09:26 AM

Tried import, and no it does not. Thanks, but don't get frazzled over my stupidity. I did follow your instructions to the letter but still nothing, Guess I'll just start over again.

Thanks for your time, & I will get back with the other list soon as I can, since I have to work all wkend & that's 14hrs a day with the travel.

Halfbreed

#10 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,318 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2016 - 06:54 PM

See if you can use the info in this link for copying and pasting files from the old profile (the one on your Desktop) to your new profile folder.

I suggest exploring the saved profile info on your Desktop to be sure you can recognize the Bookmarks file first.

Recovering important data from an old profile | Firefox Help

EDIT:

Note: Your old Firefox profile will be placed on your desktop in a folder named "Old Firefox Data". If the refresh didn't fix your problem you can restore some of the information not saved by copying files to the new profile that was created. If you don't need this folder any longer, you should delete it as it contains sensitive information.

The above Note copied from...Refresh Firefox - reset add-ons and settings | Firefox Help

Edited by buddy215, 20 May 2016 - 06:58 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users