Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internet access blocked while on VPN

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jmorrill89

jmorrill89

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 PM

Posted 19 May 2016 - 09:45 PM

Hello All,

Windows 7 professional

I'm a software developer but when it comes to network type stuff I struggle.  Anyway, here's my problem.  When I'm logged on to my client's Virtual Private Network (VPN) I lose access to everything outside their firewall.  According to them, they are not actively doing anything to block my access outside the firewall to the internet.  Also, a coworker of mine (who uses the same VPN profile) has no issues browsing outside the firewall while he's on the VPN.  This leads me to believe it's something on my computer that is blocking access.  I've read that "split tunneling" can have something to do with this but again my coworker and my settings are the same in this regard. 

I'll apologize in advance if I haven't given near enough info for someone to immediately diagnose what the issue might be.  I talked to the network team at my client that they are completely uninterested in helping me solve the problem.  They feel that since I'm just a consultant who's using a personal laptop that it's not their problem.  Any advice on what this might be would be greatly appreciated and I'm willing to provide as much info about my system in order to help diagnose, just let me know what you might need to help get to the bottom of this.

Thanks much in advance!

Edited by hamluis, 20 May 2016 - 08:40 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Networking - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jmorrill89

jmorrill89
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2016 - 09:49 PM

Also, one other thing to add, this access WAS working initially for a couple weeks but then abruptly stopped early last week.

#3 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 AM

Posted 20 May 2016 - 09:40 AM

Your pc needs to be allowed through the firewall.  They had to have changed something at their end.

#4 jmorrill89

jmorrill89
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2016 - 10:04 AM

Your pc needs to be allowed through the firewall.  They had to have changed something at their end.

Thanks for your response!

So when you say "your PC" is this controlled by the PC Name?  Again, my coworker who sits right next to me has no issues, we have the same type of laptop, same wireless settings, using the same proxy server, and the same VPN profile yet for me all internet access is blocked while on the VPN, his access is wide open.

#5 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 AM

Posted 23 May 2016 - 05:57 PM

Most likely filtering on your network cards mac address.  Talk to IT about this to see what they say.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users