Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Received Unwanted Upgrade to Windows 10

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 rlight

rlight

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 PM

Posted 19 May 2016 - 08:44 PM

My wifes computer received an unwanted automatic upgrade to Windows 10.  We declined and now her computer will not restart.   I also tried to do a System Restore in Safe Mode, but there are no restore points to use.  Do you have any suggestions?

Edited by rlight, 19 May 2016 - 10:07 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:46 AM

Posted 19 May 2016 - 09:09 PM

Do you have a backup to an external drive ?

What happens if you depress ctrl-alt-delete ...all at once...?

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#3 rlight

rlight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2016 - 09:33 PM

I do not have an external drive.   At what point would I press ctrl-alt-delete?  The computer will not start up.

#4 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,111 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2016 - 09:39 PM

my apologies....I assumed it was running and would not shut down and restart....

Is this a desktop or a laptop ?

....if you were to click on "follow this topic" .....you will receive email replies the instant a reply is made to your topic

Edited by Condobloke, 19 May 2016 - 09:58 PM.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#5 rlight

rlight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2016 - 10:07 PM

It is a laptop.  I also tried to do a System Restore in Safe Mode, but there are no restore points to use.

#6 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,111 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2016 - 10:29 PM

so....the laptop was running at some point, and you attempted a system restore....it didnt work/no restore points.....you shut the machine down, and it wont restart....yes ?

GcnI1aH.jpg

#7 rlight

rlight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2016 - 11:23 PM

The computer was running, then there was the automatic upgrade of Windows 10.  I declined the upgrade and after that we were not able to start the computer.  I attempted to do a 'repair' which did not help.  I attempted to do a System Restore, but there are no restore points.

#8 Condobloke

Condobloke

• Members
  • 6,111 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2016 - 11:31 PM

do you get a black screen....or an error message.....you push the "on" button, and what happens ??

GcnI1aH.jpg

#9 rlight

rlight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2016 - 12:21 AM

Initially on startup there is an error that 'windows has detected an an error and will shut down'  then that goes away and and System Repair starts up.  This has already run four or five times and does not repair anything.

#10 CmmTch

CmmTch

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 AM

Posted 20 May 2016 - 09:17 PM

You haven't said whether you want to stay with Win10 or revert back to the previous OS, here are a couple links to tenforums tutorials to at least get started doing something.

First one is to install from USB, second one is to revert back to previous OS.

Sounds like the only choice you're left with is booting from USB and installing W10, once that's done then you can keep W10, or revert back to the previous OS. Right now it won't boot into anything so it's stuck, even if you don't want 10 at least you can create a bootable USB, install W10, then you'll have the option of going back.

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2376-usb-flash-drive-create-install-windows-10-a.html

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4097-windows-10-go-back-previous-windows.html

Steve

#11 rlight

rlight
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 257 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2016 - 09:54 PM

The problem is that Microsoft upgraded the laptop to Windows 10 and I was not sure if this was a legitimate upgrade or some scam.  So, when they upgraded the laptop, the old OS was replaced.  When I declined the upgrade the message was that the laptop would be reverted back to the original OS.  Which did not happen.  So, I do not have a problem with Win 10, but I can only start the laptop in Safe Mode.  I can not do a system restore or any kind of repair. 

#12 bc0306

bc0306

• Members
  • 193 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:46 PM

Posted 21 May 2016 - 11:28 PM

actually Microsoft is giving out until July 10 windows 10 for free, they're goal is to acquire 1 million users using windows10, its no scam

Don't even think about it if your not sure

#13 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,293 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2016 - 12:21 AM

Well without a external hard drive there is little to do right now but I would first get a external hard drive, a pendrive, and make use of your other computer to help in the recovery process

Edited by MadmanRB, 22 May 2016 - 12:22 AM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#14 CmmTch

CmmTch

• Members
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:46 AM

Posted 22 May 2016 - 10:18 AM

Please follow the instructions in post #10 to create a bootable USB flash drive, you've stated that the laptop won't boot into normal mode.

First thing (you'll have to do this from another computer) create a bootable USB flash drive with the W10 ISO from the first link I posted, plug that flash drive into a USB port on the laptop in trouble and reboot.

While it's booting up there are "F" keys, or combination of other keys that will allow you to choose a one time boot option. This is not the BIOS, this is a different screen. When it's booting up repeatedly press the F2, F8, F12, or whatever key it is on your laptop until you get that one time boot option choice.

Figure out either by trial and error, or manufacturers documentation, which key(s) give you a choice of where to boot from, you'll need to choose USB.

After you boot from the USB then allow it to upgrade/install on the laptop from the W10 bootable USB flash drive you created. That flash drive is also useful for a repair install since it has the iso and doesn't depend on the computers hard drive to start up.

P.S. to the best of my knowledge W10 will be free up to and including July 29th 2016, it was made public that it was free for 1 year after RTM which was July 29th 2015.

P.P.S. when the computer is upgraded to W10, there is folder named "windows old" that has the previous OS, it is deleted after 30 days. If a person decided they wanted to go back to it they have up to 30 days to revert back. Some have had difficulty reverting, IMO it's partially due to MS doesn't want users to go back, they want everybody on W10.

Edited by CmmTch, 22 May 2016 - 10:25 AM.

Steve

#15 cmptrgy

cmptrgy

• Members
  • 1,704 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2016 - 08:54 AM

In case things don’t go well (you are at a dead end) try the following to return back to your previous OS.

Shut the computer down. Start it back up.

Do the same at least a 2nd time. On a couple of computers I had to do that up to 4 tries.

This article explains that procedure and it mentions that Windows 10 is supposed to boot up into Advanced Startup Options after two consecutive unexpected shutdowns that occur within two minutes of boot completion.
How to Boot to Advanced Startup Options in Windows 10

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/2294-advanced-startup-options-boot-windows-10-a.html

If that procedure works for you, create a System Restore point as well as a system image backup onto an external hard drive.

You can get back to Windows 10 afterward by controlling the upgrade depending on the method to use.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users