Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

No Grub2 Disk Failure

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
No replies to this topic

#1 DanieI

• Banned
  • 109 posts
  • Local time:03:13 PM

Posted 19 May 2016 - 07:37 PM

I installed CDBurnerXP, burned the ISO file of Linux Mint 17.1, booted up the DVD, and there was no option to install the OS "Alongside Windows 7" so I read a quora and I was recommended to switch to Legacy DVD instead of UEFI. I did that, and then the option was there, so great, I installed Linux, blah blah blah.

I reboot Linux Mint 17.1 "Rebecca" Cinnamon 64-bit after installation, which I was prompted to do, and it says "No boot disk or disk has failed" - I switch to UEFI, and Windows boots. I decided to plug in the DVD back, that had the iso, which is what I'm typing from right now. So Linux Mint 17.1 only works from the DVD. The "Install Linux Mint" icon is still there on the desktop, meaning it failed to install.

When I was installing Linux Mint 17.1, I created a partition that had 73 GB on it, and after installation, when I went on the DVD and went into file manager to explore, I saw that the 73 gb partition was filled with Unix directories, so I was at the right place.

Maybe it messed up my boot loader or something. I don't want to have to switch my BIOS settings each time I go into Linux - I'd have to disable UEFI, and put in the DVD. Considering I left my DVD in my dekstop forever, which I'm fine with, then I'd just have to press F10 each time I booted up my PC and turn off UEFI.

I still don't even have a user on my live DVD, which it said it created during the installation. I just wait 10 seconds and it logs in to the "mint" user, I guess the default user, or maybe the root.

Please help me! I don't know what's gone wrong with my Windows bootloader... My partition is filled, I have Linux, except the Install icon is still on my Linux desktop! It installed all the files but somehow it doesn't consider itself installed, and when I did "sudo update-grub2" in my Terminal in Linux Mint 17.1 (from the Live DVD) it says "failed to get canonical path of /cow" - I have no idea what that is...

I have no idea what all of this means, and I've never dual booted before. If you click my name and view my profile, in my "About Me" page my computer specifications in extreme details are listed there. There's a link that you have to click on. I used a program called Speccy to upload my specs to the Internet.

Someone on this forum told me that Linux would not boot from UEFI - I need a way to boot my HDD from Legacy Boot Sources, and have Grub2 menu. Any ideas?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users