Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HP Pavilion 15-ab157nr

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 5,988 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 PM

Posted 19 May 2016 - 05:10 PM

Just browsing computers that I might be interested in, and wondering why this one would only have one customer review?  Seems like a really good laptop for the money.  Should mention it was only 350.00 US at Office Depot right now, so thought I would look up some reviews on it.  I realize I will need to visit a few sites but sometimes there are things a noob like me don't see, what do you guys think of this one.

http://www.amazon.com/HP-Pavilion-Laptop-Natural-Silver/dp/B0178R7ACS/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1463689941&sr=1-1&keywords=hp+pavilion+15-ab157nr

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04756541#AbT0

Thanks pcpunk!

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DanieI

DanieI

• Banned
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2016 - 05:22 PM

I recommend the Dell XPS 13. It's a bang for the buck. It's $800, comes with a holy display, it's lightweight, and it's very durable. Instead of having a hard drive which gets damaged in 1-2 years (laptops only), this comes with 128 GB of SSD ... solid state drives do not have moving pieces, and so they are worth a lot of money, even 128 GB. Overall, if I was purchasing a laptop, I'd get the Dell XPS 13.

EDIT: Just so you know, pcpunk, this laptop will probably last you 10 years, and getting the HP Pavillion will probably last you 1-3 years, and it's only about 2x less money. So, if you're talking about the financial aspect of all this, the XPS 13 is still a better buy.

Edited by DanieI, 19 May 2016 - 05:23 PM.

#3 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,988 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2016 - 06:17 PM

LOL, yes I understand.  My financial situation is really poor right now and is why I'm looking at this one, it would be at the top of my budget, if at all.  Dell XPS 13, I am well aware of this one also, and think it is an awesome laptop, Dell is also at the top of my list as far as a new pc goes.  I like HP but the Dell is number one or two in the heap.  I think the newer HP's are not as good as I have been told but they are a good buy, and one can stick a SSD in there later if wanted.  I have an old HP from 2006 that I am on now and it is like an anvil.  I've practiced installing Linux and XP on it many times and it was a second hand pc for me even!  I've also worked on a few HP's and still think they are pretty good bang for the buck.  Yes would love a NICE Dell though. 

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#4 DanieI

DanieI

• Banned
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2016 - 06:46 PM

Maybe you could get an Alienware laptop? Expensive, but bang for the buck for SURE. Amazing software, so fast, so good. I see your computer specifications... an Alienware or Razer Blade laptop would be nice.

EDIT : For experimentations, I recommend an ASUS Chromebook. They are approximately $200 and you can get Linux on them, simply download a "crouton" file then press CTRL+ALT+T and type in "sudo sh -e ~/Downloads/crouton -t xfce" :D That's to get the XFCE desktop environment. Simply replace XFCE with "Unity" or "KDE" if you want. Both of those WILL work, I'm not sure about MATE or Cinnamon.

Edited by DanieI, 20 May 2016 - 06:59 PM.

#5 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,988 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2016 - 09:19 PM

Should mention it was only 350.00 US at Office Depot right now

This is what my budget would be, I'm sure the Alienware is way more than that, and what I'm running now is better than a chromebook.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#6 DanieI

DanieI

• Banned
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2016 - 12:23 PM

Look what I found for $450 - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CGGOZOW/ref=twister_B01DVD486E?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

It's only $100 more than yours, but will last years upon years longer - it comes with an SSD - In laptops, SSD vs HDD is the most important part, pcpunk.

Make sure you select the "128 gb SSD" option instead of "1 TB HDD" when you buy the laptop!

#7 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5,988 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2016 - 10:17 AM

That looks nice but the review rating is not so good.  I will have to login later and read some more, some of these new HP's are not that good.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#8 DanieI

DanieI

• Banned
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2016 - 11:37 AM

Kay.