Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Drive 1 not found, Code 7 error

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ibleedart

ibleedart

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 PM

Posted 19 May 2016 - 12:39 PM

I am running Windows 7 on my Dell Dimension 5150.  A few days ago my computer was stuck in the "logging off" screen and I had to cold boot to shut it down.  When I restarted, I get a "Drive 1 not found: Serial ATA, SATA-2" error and an "error loading operating system".  I cannot boot into safe mode at all.  I ran hard drive diagnostics and get "Drive 0: Fail. Return Code: 7, Drive 1: No device".  I have tried just about every solution to this online aside from replacing the battery or hard drive.  I'm really hoping it's not the hard drive since I have a few files on there I cannot replace (most is backed up onto EHD).  I've checked all of the cables, tried boot to utility partition, tried rearranging the boot order, booted to a Win 7 installation CD (but I'm not sure what drive my OS is on, it gives me a RAW error with drive C: for chkdsk and it ran a chkdsk for D: but still won't boot up).  In setup, all drives are on (I tried turning off drive 0 at one point because it was giving me a "Drive 0 not found" at first but now that message is gone and I turned it back on).  I have no idea where to go from here.  Do I replace the hard drive cable to see if it's that?  Try replacing the power supply?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thanks!

Edited by ibleedart, 19 May 2016 - 12:42 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,002 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 AM

Posted 19 May 2016 - 01:04 PM

Code 7 on a dell indicates a failed or failing drive. If the drive is detected in BIOS you may be able to pull data using UBCD and an external drive. At the menu screen select Parted Magic and follow this guide.

#3 ibleedart

ibleedart
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 PM

Posted 19 May 2016 - 01:27 PM

Thanks for your help.  The drive doesn't say "not present" in BIOS, so I guess I'll try to get what data I can off of it and just replace the whole computer since I was going to upgrade soon anyway.  What guide where you pointing to?  The link just sends me to a google search page.  Thanks again.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,002 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 AM

Posted 19 May 2016 - 02:11 PM

Sorry, I gave the wrong link. 

http://fixit.litten.com/linuxfilecopy.html

#5 ibleedart

ibleedart
  • Topic Starter