Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Best laptop for Linux Lite 2.6 plus a few other questions

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 CroMagnon

CroMagnon

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:33 PM

Posted 19 May 2016 - 11:42 AM

Hey I'm new here, probably won't be too vocal because I'm not much of a computer person, but I do want my time online to be as secure and efficient as possible. I'm hoping y'all might be able to help me with that. I hate both Windows and Mac, but I'm still used to using Windows 7 and similar-age systems, so I have my heart set on Linux Lite 2.6 as shown on the website. It comes with programs I like, has low system requirements, and isn't the newest version. I'm not overly fond of newer things. Likewise, I'm not looking for the newest laptop.

I'd rather not buy anything used, but I don't want warranties, customer support, a touchscreen, or any voice-activated whatnot. A 100GB SSD hard drive would be nice, SSD because I've read they're more durable, but most of my files are just stored on flash drives. An SD slot, at least 2 USB ports, and a disk drive are a must. I'd also love a keyboard in ABC order but I'm not sure those are a thing. Another problem I had with my last laptop, not sure what kind, was the charger port coming loose inside and not working, so I guess I'd prefer a laptop that doesn't have that problem. Hopefully there's something out there that fits these parameters under $500.

Basically want something efficient, user-friendly, secure, lightweight, and durable for occasional video/photo editing, maybe Sims, Zoo Tycoon, and Spore, but otherwise mostly just research and writing. All behind a stone wall of security and privacy programs. I've read that Linux "doesn't need" an antivirus because most malware is designed for Windows and Mac, but you can't ever have too many defenses.

That said, my few other questions: Does Linux really have no NSA backdoor? What good free antivirus/firewall programs work with Linux Lite? I've been using Comodo for Windows, but I'm not sure if it'd be compatible and I'd prefer something less complex. How about browers? Anything free, private, and user-friendly besides the usual Firefox, Chrome, or Internet Explorer? Are unwanted programs any easier to delete from Linux? Not like trying to remove IE from Windows? I hope this all isn't too much to ask. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,422 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2016 - 12:02 PM

Hi CroMagnon! Welcome to BC!

I might go a bit out of order on your questions, but I'll try and address them all.

I have my heart set on Linux Lite 2.6 as shown on the website. It comes with programs I like, has low system requirements, and isn't the newest version. I'm not overly fond of newer things.

I haven't used Linux Lite myself so I can't say too much on it. Should run on anything you buy though.

Basically want something efficient, user-friendly, secure, lightweight, and durable for occasional video/photo editing, maybe Sims, Zoo Tycoon, and Spore, but otherwise mostly just research and writing. All behind a stone wall of security and privacy programs. I've read that Linux "doesn't need" an antivirus because most malware is designed for Windows and Mac, but you can't ever have too many defenses.

I'll touch on the games first. You may want to dual boot (have both Windows and Linux installed) to play games. As far as I know those games will not work on Linux, or won't install natively anyway. Looks like you can use a program called "play on linux" to install some of the Sims games. Though a lot of the times, it doesn't work as expected and can be a pain to get it to do so. So again, all that to say you might want to dual boot. So I would consider that in your buying plans.

Another problem I had with my last laptop, not sure what kind, was the charger port coming loose inside and not working, so I guess I'd prefer a laptop that doesn't have that problem. Hopefully there's something out there that fits these parameters under $500.

The charger port coming loose can happen in just about any laptop. As long as you aren't unnecessarily plugging and unplugging it, and making sure you don't trip over the cord and yanking it out (those types of things) you should be fine with it not breaking.

There are loads of laptops for 500 and under. You just gotta search around and see what is out there. Start with a brand you like, work from there. You can always post in the hardware section on help with picking out a new laptop.

That said, my few other questions: Does Linux really have no NSA backdoor? What good free antivirus/firewall programs work with Linux Lite? I've been using Comodo for Windows, but I'm not sure if it'd be compatible and I'd prefer something less complex. How about browers? Anything free, private, and user-friendly besides the usual Firefox, Chrome, or Internet Explorer? Are unwanted programs any easier to delete from Linux? Not like trying to remove IE from Windows? I hope this all isn't too much to ask. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I can't tell you that the NSA doesn't' have a back door into a given Linux distro... though doubt they do. Lets be real though, the NSA could break into whatever they wanted pretty easily, especially a lowly user's network like me and you. Though I wouldn't' worry about it, we are too boring for them anyway.

Deleting programs off Linux is pretty simple. I won't get into it here, but yeah you can pretty much customize Linux down to the tiniest level.

I can't really comment on browsers, as I use Chrome, there are plenty out there though and I'm sure other users can comment on them.

I hope that helped you out!

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#3 CroMagnon

CroMagnon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2016 - 05:31 AM

Hi CroMagnon! Welcome to BC!

I might go a bit out of order on your questions, but I'll try and address them all.

I have my heart set on Linux Lite 2.6 as shown on the website. It comes with programs I like, has low system requirements, and isn't the newest version. I'm not overly fond of newer things.

I haven't used Linux Lite myself so I can't say too much on it. Should run on anything you buy though.

I'll touch on the games first. You may want to dual boot (have both Windows and Linux installed) to play games. As far as I know those games will not work on Linux, or won't install natively anyway. Looks like you can use a program called "play on linux" to install some of the Sims games. Though a lot of the times, it doesn't work as expected and can be a pain to get it to do so. So again, all that to say you might want to dual boot. So I would consider that in your buying plans.

Another problem I had with my last laptop, not sure what kind, was the charger port coming loose inside and not working, so I guess I'd prefer a laptop that doesn't have that problem. Hopefully there's something out there that fits these parameters under $500.

The charger port coming loose can happen in just about any laptop. As long as you aren't unnecessarily plugging and unplugging it, and making sure you don't trip over the cord and yanking it out (those types of things) you should be fine with it not breaking.

There are loads of laptops for 500 and under. You just gotta search around and see what is out there. Start with a brand you like, work from there. You can always post in the hardware section on help with picking out a new laptop.

I can't tell you that the NSA doesn't' have a back door into a given Linux distro... though doubt they do. Lets be real though, the NSA could break into whatever they wanted pretty easily, especially a lowly user's network like me and you. Though I wouldn't' worry about it, we are too boring for them anyway.

Deleting programs off Linux is pretty simple. I won't get into it here, but yeah you can pretty much customize Linux down to the tiniest level.

I can't really comment on browsers, as I use Chrome, there are plenty out there though and I'm sure other users can comment on them.

I hope that helped you out!

Thank you! I may have to forgo the games then, I don't want any of Windows' stuff on my computer. Never had anything but problems with it. But yeah I'll have to post about a new laptop, I wouldn't even know where to begin trying to find what I want.

#4 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,422 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2016 - 08:07 AM

Again you might be able to get some of the games to run. It may work easily or it may take a bit to get it to run. Hard to say, but if you are willing to try it make sure you get a PC with a graphics chip that can play them. The games you stated could probably play on a sub par card as well. Just look up the minimum specs and keep that into account as you are looking for a laptop.

If you do start a post in the hardware/buying section make sure you say the specifics on what you are wanting it for. Once you narrow the search down feel free to post back here in the Linux forum and we can tell you if one is better than another for Linux. Though typically anything you buy will be compatible with it.

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users