Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

seagate vs western digital hard drive

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 LiamP5

LiamP5

• Members
  • 330 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 AM

Posted 19 May 2016 - 11:12 AM

As i post about my bios didnot find hdd problem after that i thought to buy 500gb hard disk and i have got two option to buy one seagate 500gb released july 25 2011 and second western digital 500gb released june 11 2011. In weight western digital much lighter than seagate hard disk. I know that seagate is new in that of western digital hard drive but also seagate has record failure over two-three year so i am confuse which to buy please help me out?
To achieve something first try
to get the knowledge about it.
Be happy, always try
for it
.......................Lets do it and learn from bleepingcomputer.com Never feel alone

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,527 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:41 AM

Posted 19 May 2016 - 11:19 AM

You're buying one of these from your local computer store, correct?  If yes, ask which drive appears to have the best manufacturer warranty.  I've had a couple of WDs fail over the last few years.  HDs are a business gamble as to how long any one will last.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,402 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 AM

Posted 19 May 2016 - 12:39 PM

1TB hard disks generally offer much better capacity/price ratio and are much faster.

#4 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 846 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 AM

Posted 19 May 2016 - 02:43 PM

RETAIL (comes in a pretty box) WD drives generally carry a 3 year warranty and Seagate's carry 2 years.  OEM or bulk drives (comes in an antistatic bag or plain box) give you a one year warranty from that store.  So, what you buy and where you buy it matter.

Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#5 LiamP5

LiamP5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 330 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2016 - 08:01 PM

Drillingmachine i can only afford to 500gb hdd and i don't so much money to buy 1tb. So please which should i buy and another thing seagate have 7200 rpm speed whereas wd have only 5000 rpm speed.
Be happy, always try
for it
.......................Lets do it and learn from bleepingcomputer.com Never feel alone

#6 MajesticFailure

MajesticFailure

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 AM

Posted 19 May 2016 - 09:01 PM

In that case, for me it's a no-brainer: if Seagate = 2 years warranty, and WD = 3 years, but Seagate = 7200 RPM and WD = 5000 RPM, l'd go for the Seagate.

Disclaimer: check my ID name.

#7 LiamP5

LiamP5
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 330 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2016 - 10:59 PM

thanks majestic i will go seagate hdd now.
Be happy, always try
for it

#8 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,402 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 AM

Posted 20 May 2016 - 06:37 AM

Drillingmachine i can only afford to 500gb hdd and i don't so much money to buy 1tb. So please which should i buy and another thing seagate have 7200 rpm speed whereas wd have only 5000 rpm speed.

Really? Price difference is very small http://pcpartpicker.com/p/FVVMf7

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users