Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Will someone please explain why I have customer PC's upgrading to windows 10?

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 chalup

chalup

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 19 May 2016 - 09:19 AM

I have told everyone not to upgrade to windows 10 because it will take down their entire POS system, I had managed to get GWX control on most PC's but missed a few. Now this week alone Ive had 4-5 PCs upgrade over night and take down the entire system. At first I thought people knowingly did it, but we had a PC in our own office do it yesterday. Is this even legal? How is this happening?

Edited by chalup, 19 May 2016 - 09:33 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Humannpower

Humannpower

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2016 - 09:27 AM

Because Microsoft snuck it in again to force windows 7 and 8 machines to schedule the upgrade.

http://www.cnet.com/news/microsoft-windows-10-upgrades-get-more-sneaky-pushy/

This link shows the pop up that comes up and I can confirm that it's forcing it because I even have it set to inform me of updates and not download and install them. Luckily I caught the message and was able to cancel the upgrade. 

#3 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,612 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 AM

Posted 19 May 2016 - 09:30 AM

Additional Consumer Reports article

http://www.consumerreports.org/computers/the-night-my-laptop-updated-to-windows-10-without-my-knowledge/

windows-10-and-the-x-100661228-large.idg

http://siliconangle.com/blog/2016/05/18/microsoft-makes-one-last-extremely-deceptive-windows-10-upgrade-push/

Edited by JohnC_21, 19 May 2016 - 09:38 AM.

#4 Humannpower

Humannpower

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2016 - 09:32 AM

As far as legality goes it probably is because it's buried in the EULA somewhere.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,612 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2016 - 09:39 AM

Legal but unethical.

#6 chalup

chalup
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2016 - 10:00 AM

So it automatically schedules it as an update and you have to manually click on "click here" and stop it from upgrading?

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,612 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2016 - 10:04 AM

From what I have read, yes. Windows 10 became a recommended update instead of optional. Once downloaded you get the popup and have to decline or reschedule. If not you will get the Windows 10 install.

Edited by JohnC_21, 19 May 2016 - 10:04 AM.

#8 Humannpower

Humannpower

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2016 - 10:11 AM

Yeah mine was scheduled for today (5/19) so if I hadn't noticed it when I did I would've been in for a big surprise when I got home.

#9 Sabastiondoggie

Sabastiondoggie

• Members
  • 239 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2016 - 10:23 AM

please school me on how to set it so i dont get those pop ups< please.  If ive been lucky that im always at my pc and when im not i have it shut down but the pop ups are annoyinging and that icon on the taskbar is just annoying.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,612 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2016 - 10:25 AM

I believe GWX Control Panel will solve the problem. 

http://blog.ultimateoutsider.com/2015/08/using-gwx-stopper-to-permanently-remove.html

#11 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 6,830 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2016 - 10:45 AM

There is also Never10.

The switch to "recommended" update is what's hitting people now if they have their Win7 or Win8/8.1 systems with Windows Update set up to apply recommended updates and critical updates.

Never10 or GWX Control Panel makes the Windows Update settings irrelevant based on how they block Windows 10 Upgrade updates.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (my website address is in my profile) Windows 10 Home, 64-bit, Version 1709, Build 16299

Here is a test to find out whether your mission in life is complete.  If you’re alive, it isn’t.
             ~ Lauren Bacall

#12 Dragongirl

Dragongirl

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 PM

Posted 19 May 2016 - 03:24 PM

So basically have Never10 & GWXCP running full throttle and still have full automatic updates running on the machine ? Thid scares me as I have a lot of works in progress projects on this computer that I need to save and then shut down {which takes a while}

What Microsoft is doing is actually flat out wrong, but apparently still legal. Windows ten is a major step backwards and off a cliff or building. There IS a way to keep from getting it though, and to make Microsoft see the error of their ways here

Namely, time lost waiting on the install. Apparently a church on Good Friday had the automatic upgrade going without warning and they lost almost the entire day to wait for the EULA to show up so they could not agree and then revert back to seven, It was recommended to the person or another person via comments to sue microsoft in small claims court {basically the gist of it was if enough people sue MS over this for upwards of 500$ a claim for lost work time and court time/fees, Microsoft will rethink their strategy... maybe}

Either way, I put GWXCP on my laptop, and that of my parents laptop. So should I revery the windows updates to automatic or still do them manually ?

The kitten that used to be linked to here in this signature now has her forever home!! Thank you for taking the time to read this signature!

"This is the coolest place I've ever been, and I've only been alive for three days!" ~ Figment

#13 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 928 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2016 - 05:01 PM

Ever since MS has become more aggressive or perhaps unscrupulous concerning GWX most Win 7 users have their updates set  to "Check For Updates But Let Me Choose Whether To Download And Install". These are my settings and have been for some time.

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,612 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2016 - 05:16 PM

Off topic but from now on all fixes to Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 minus security updates will only be available as "roll-up" packages. In other words you will not get fixes as separate downloads. If the roll-up includes ones like KB3006137 or KB3153731 they will be a required download. 

Monthly Rollups

Also today we are announcing that non-security updates for Windows 7 SP1 and Windows 8.1 (as well as Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1, Windows Server 2012 and Windows Server 2012 R2) will be available as a monthly rollup (fixes rolled up together into a single update).  Each month, we will release a single update containing all of the non-security fixes for that month.  We are making this change – shifting to rollup updates, to improve the reliability and quality of our updates.

These fixes will be available through Windows Update, WSUS, and SCCM as well as the Microsoft Update catalog.  We hope this monthly rollup update simplifies your process of keeping Windows 7, and 8.1 up-to-date.

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/windowsitpro/2016/05/17/simplifying-updates-for-windows-7-and-8-1/

#15 Dragongirl

Dragongirl

• Members
  • 191 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:36 PM

Posted 20 May 2016 - 05:13 AM

It seems that MS truly wants people to use windows ten, honestly I dont want it, I tried it and it failed to lure me. Its flat, a huge step backwards from Seven. I understand they want to mixmash Seven and eight together in Ten, but honestly, removing Areo, Removing what made things easy to use {come on, GIVE US BUTTONS FOR EXAMPLE, dont make it so flat and deadlike!}

But yes, apparently they want us to use this crap. Windows Seven is supported until 14 January 2020, and windows 8 until 14 January 2023. I plan on using Windows seven until this computer dies on me completely. Not before then, I used windows 2000 Server for several years before migrating to XP Pro, then I used XP Pro 3 years after the extended support ended for it and seven was all the rave. Then I got Seven because I simply flat out WANTED windows seven, not windows eight, not windows ten, I wanted Seven because it reminded me of XP.

But if they try to sneak in windows ten crap, I got GWXCP running full throttle now, my old XP rig never got the update notices either

The kitten that used to be linked to here in this signature now has her forever home!! Thank you for taking the time to read this signature!

"This is the coolest place I've ever been, and I've only been alive for three days!" ~ Figment

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users