Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Motherboard shuts down shortly after power on

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Cursed Chico

Cursed Chico

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:30 PM

Posted 19 May 2016 - 07:06 AM

My brother bought a new system. I tried to put them together. YOu can see in the picture. First, i put motherboard to case. then cpu, then cpu fan. then gpu. Then ram and then 12v 5v cables to motherboard, power to system fan and only power sw. Before putting power sw, i tried power led (i dont know if i put true place). THen i only put power sw. it has no + - , so i put in both ways and both ways made same. AS soon as i open from button in front, the lights of system fan appears for oen second and then disappears while system fan starts to run for a short time. I cant see any activity in motherboard, cpu fan for example. When i again press button, no activity, even system fan. When i shut down psu from button and again on and press button in front, all happen again. While putting cpu, it was hard to put. Can it be problem? Also gpu maybe is not fitted. They are all new. I hope i did not damage. what tests should i do? Removing ram gpu and run. if not, removing cpu and putting cpu fan to see if cpu fan can get power? i did not reset bios battery. I did not put hdd led or other things because i wanted to see if it is working. i would put after it. and blue usb3.0 i put to mobo which is coming from front. Psu was inside case, i did not put it. my cable to psu is old, can it be problem?

I think i figured out. It has windows 8 and it cant boot into that. My migrating from p4 to q8300 was successful, i am using still that windows but for that computer, i think i have to install again.

i have windows 8 and 10 from dreamspark student account. If i install 8 or 10, which one can keep old files?

i fiound usb win8 32 bit boot (the windows inside 32 bit despite old system was 64) and put it. again it hanged so i enabled gpu but it is same. i enabled disabled hdd only usb but it shows windows logo then it stacks. Why can this be, ram?

Attached Files

Edited by Cursed Chico, 19 May 2016 - 12:36 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Cursed Chico

Cursed Chico
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2016 - 01:43 PM

Update, i tried win10 with usb ( win 10 usb is working, i tried it in p4 system and i could see the menu)

and it is still same. it hangs. with hdd without hdd. and i have to restart by pressing for 6 seconds and repopen because soemtimes nothing comes to screen like ram is faulty. It cant event show bios.

should i take off mobo from case and put ram there and test without putting case or taking off bios battery, what can be problem?all parts are new. 

this time gpu was on.

#3 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 795 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:30 AM

Posted 19 May 2016 - 02:37 PM

Your description matches a faulty CPU to heatsink problem (CPU overheats and shuts down, quite fast); but, you don't have the auxiliary power plugged into the video card (it's the black, 8 pin socket on the top of the card) You should have a cable coming from the power supply that fits it (yellow and black wires). Even if that cable is only 4 or 6 pins, try it; the video card is not getting enough power.
Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#4 Cursed Chico

Cursed Chico
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2016 - 02:57 PM

Your description matches a faulty CPU to heatsink problem (CPU overheats and shuts down, quite fast); but, you don't have the auxiliary power plugged into the video card (it's the black, 8 pin socket on the top of the card) You should have a cable coming from the power supply that fits it (yellow and black wires). Even if that cable is only 4 or 6 pins, try it; the video card is not getting enough power.

there is no shutting down. i shut down. i also put power to gpu later. i explained it.

i did not put thermal paste. and i check temperature. gpu is hotter than cpu.

also this gpu needs 2 x 6 pins.i put 2 x6 pins. psu doesnot have any more. only one 4 pin

also i tried wonboard but same.

usually i have to restart 3-4 times to see bios.

#5 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 795 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2016 - 03:23 PM

No matter what, you'll do him a huge favor to take out the video card and use the onboard until after you have installed the O/S. That way, he'll be able to go back to the onboard if the add-on ever gives problems.
So do that. Take out the video until it is all the way working.
The fact that you get the video once in a while would have me suspecting the power supply and that is reinforced by the fan behavior. Without the video card, any old desktop power supply should run it just fine. Do you have another power supply you could use for testing?

#6 Cursed Chico

Cursed Chico
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2016 - 04:14 PM

No matter what, you'll do him a huge favor to take out the video card and use the onboard until after you have installed the O/S. That way, he'll be able to go back to the onboard if the add-on ever gives problems.
So do that. Take out the video until it is all the way working.
The fact that you get the video once in a while would have me suspecting the power supply and that is reinforced by the fan behavior. Without the video card, any old desktop power supply should run it just fine. Do you have another power supply you could use for testing?

yes i have but 300w or 350. is not it low?

psu comes inside case embedded.

without gpu also it is giving those problems too.

#7 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 795 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2016 - 04:20 PM

Take out the GPU and, with it not installed, you only need about 100 watts.

You need to test with another power supply; but, you don't need the gpu to do so.

Edited by DavisMcCarn, 19 May 2016 - 04:21 PM.

#8 Cursed Chico

Cursed Chico
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2016 - 01:21 AM

Take out the GPU and, with it not installed, you only need about 100 watts.

You need to test with another power supply; but, you don't need the gpu to do so.

I first ran again with gpu, the fans were working. so i took of gpu but after it no power comes to motherboard when i power on, no fans are turning or lights.

so i took of ram and still same. i put my 300 watt old psu (only 12 and 2 pins i put, no harddisk). but same.

How did i ruin this computer :(

#9 Cursed Chico

Cursed Chico
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2016 - 02:32 AM

Update: i put back all again, now it can take power but still no vga puıtput lazy.png  i tried with hdd, without hdd, with gpu, without gpu, with gpu but onboard, without gpu onboard.

motherboardshas debug led. i can see first cpu, then dram(i think ram) and then vga red powers shine in row. But why cant i see output? yesterday i could see, i could go into bios?

#10 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 795 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2016 - 07:41 AM

Is there any chance your monitor does not like the video resolution its trying to use? Its not that common; but, I have seen monitors that hated some resolutions.  Unplug the power cord for the monitor for one full minute and try it again.

A great big rats is that I can't find any real reference for what the EZ Debug lights mean.  They can blink, stay off, or stay on; but, just what each means is nowhere to be found.

Again; though, I would not even put the GPU card into the PC until after the O/S was installed.  That way, the onboard video will work if the GPU ever has a problem which is very helpful.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users