Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Latest version of Firefox is really slow and getting lots of script errors

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Ubiq

Ubiq

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:19 AM

Posted 19 May 2016 - 04:04 AM

Anyone else experiencing this? None of the usual seems to work for me, safe mode etc.

Thanks.

ETA: Here is a pic of the error I'm getting on every page. Sometimes it says something a little different, but its usually chrome related.

Firefox-May2016-ScriptErrors_zpsznkwxyhb

Edited by Ubiq, 19 May 2016 - 04:31 AM.

Machine: Toshiba Portege r705-P41, Dual Boot: MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit; Ubuntu 15.04
CPU: Intel Core i5 460M @ 2.53GHz Arrandale 32nm Technology,
RAM: 4.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 532MHz (7-7-7-20), Motherboard: TOSHIBA Portable PC (rBGA1288 Socket)
Video Card: Intel HD Graphics Revision 2 1720 MBytes

Speccy

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 johnmeehan

johnmeehan

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 AM

Posted 19 May 2016 - 09:35 AM

I am using Firefox vers. 28 and Palemoon.  I refuse to upgrade to the pile of feces Firefox has become.  Of course that is just my opinion and does not reflect the opinion of the forum providers or other users.

#3 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2016 - 02:03 PM

I'm running Firefox 46.0.1 on several computers running everything from Vista to 7 to 8.1 to 10 and not having any problems.  You should check your add-ons.

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#4 Ubiq

Ubiq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2016 - 02:19 PM

Lol, well it would take more reading through Mozilla forums than I have time for right now in order to figure out how to roll Firefox back that far.

I think its version 44 that is causing the problem.
Right now, I'm booted into the Ubuntu side of my hard drive so I can get some work done and I have version 40 installed. Its super fast and efficient, with no errors. On this side I get a polite little message telling me I'm using an older version and asking if I would like to update.
On the Windows side, I get a little screen when I try to start Firefox telling me to wait while it updates. I don't know how that got switched or if I can switch it back. The Windows side is also used by my room mates and for my online classes.

I dunno what's going on but I need to try and fix it before one of my roomies tries.

Machine: Toshiba Portege r705-P41, Dual Boot: MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit; Ubuntu 15.04
RAM: 4.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 532MHz (7-7-7-20), Motherboard: TOSHIBA Portable PC (rBGA1288 Socket)

Speccy

#5 Ubiq

Ubiq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2016 - 02:28 PM

Niweg,

Isn't "safe mode" running with the add ons disabled?

Speccy

#6 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2016 - 10:53 AM

Niweg,

Good question.  I'm running Windows 10 and it doesn't have a safe mode like prior versions did.  Safe mode disables a lot of stuff, but I can't say about add-ons.  I'll say this about Firefox, if you start about 10 tabs it will gobble up RAM like crazy.  I just noticed it taking 1.4 GB.  :(

#7 Ubiq

Ubiq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2016 - 05:46 PM

So, this is still a problem for me.

46.0.1 is my current version. 

I have a suspicion that ads on websites have changed lately; the pages seemed to battle with the various ad blockers I tried. But disabling the ad blockers seems to cause ads to try to load that aren't able to do so for some strange reason.

However that is just purest speculation on my part.

Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

Edited by Ubiq, 02 June 2016 - 05:51 PM.

Speccy

#8 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2016 - 01:09 PM

Try Chrome or Internet Explorer.  I take it you're not running Windows 10 where you could also try Edge.

Good luck.

#9 Ubiq

Ubiq
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 253 posts
  •  

Posted 05 June 2016 - 02:08 PM

Chrome also has problems on some pages; script errors and Flash crashes. It seems to be ads on some sites, some of which I can avoid and some I can't, for work and school. I can't imagine a scenario where I would try Explorer - are they still releasing that?

Anyway, I don't have any problems on pages without ads, so does anyone have suggestions?

And no, I won't have W10 on this lappie. Its too old and would barely be able to handle it. When I have enough dough to replace this dinosaur though...

Speccy

#10 MoxieMomma

MoxieMomma

• Members
  • 471 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 AM

Posted 05 June 2016 - 04:46 PM

Niweg,

Niweg,

Good question.  I'm running Windows 10 and it doesn't have a safe mode like prior versions did.  Safe mode disables a lot of stuff, but I can't say about add-ons.  I'll say this about Firefox, if you start about 10 tabs it will gobble up RAM like crazy.  I just noticed it taking 1.4 GB.   :(

I think there might be some confusion.... :unsure:

"Mozilla Safe Mode" is a reversible, diagnostic/debugging test to troubleshoot issues in Firefox.

It is not the same thing as "Windows Safe Mode".

And, yes, the Firefox Standard Diagnostic does indeed start with testing Firefox in *Mozilla* Safe Mode

This link at Mozilla.org also contains troubleshooting advice.

Having said that, if you're having issues across multiple different browsers, then the problem may not be something directly related to Firefox.

More likely, it's something related to your system: hardware, software conflict, networking issues, connectivity, etc.

Hope this helps,

MM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users