Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows updates to delete to avoid Windows 10

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 guit30

guit30

• Members
  • 244 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 PM

Posted 19 May 2016 - 03:55 AM

I deleted some windows updates a while back, to get rid of the Windows 10 icon which was on my toolbar, I realize they are probably in my hidden updates, but not sure which updates they are, I have a lot in there.

My neighbor has windows 7 home premium like me, she has had the win 10 icon on her task bar for awhile. This morning, after she turned on her computer, Windows 10 started installing itself on it's own. She said that it took about 2 hours to install. She told me that after it installed itself, she  was able to get it to go back to win7. It told her it would take about 2 hours to uninstall, she said it did not take very long. Could it still be installed on her computer or not enough room for both? Anyway,I wanted to try to stop it from happening again.  

Any help would be appreciated.

Jim

Eset Nod32 vs 8

Super Anti Spyware

Secunia 2.0

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,083 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 PM

Posted 19 May 2016 - 04:51 AM

Hi,

I have a script to uninstall some of the Updates here, right click on the file and select Run as Administrator

To block the Windows 10 install download GWX Control Panel and run the tool
0JeJmUzoR8I9rKfqBv6u91ZK8EdFzu.png
You can use the options:
  • Disable 'Get Windows 10' App (remove icon)
  • Delete Windows 10 Download Folders...
  • Prevent Automatic Windows 10 Upgrades
  • Change Windows Update Settings according to the instructions provided by the program
After this restart the PC.

Also make sure to install the latest Windows Update client because only the recent versions respect/install the Windows Policy created to stop the Windows 10 install offer.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#3 guit30

guit30
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 244 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2016 - 05:18 AM

Thanks so much, just installed this in my computer,tommorrow, I will put it in my neighbors computer .

Thanks a lot

Jim

Eset Nod32 vs 8

Super Anti Spyware

Secunia 2.0

#4 guit30

guit30
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 244 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2016 - 07:19 PM

Hi,
This program is working well on my computer. I have a couple of questions, I changed my settings from automatic updates to Download, but let me install updates. Also, in your blog you mention restoring hidden updates, I have some 10 updates hidden. Windows does not like my change in updates. Everything is working well though.

My neighbors computer is slow as all get out. Was able to install your program on her computer, she had a lot of 10 files on it. She has an anti-virus, I never heard of it, but we will see how the program works on hers.
JIm

Eset Nod32 vs 8

Super Anti Spyware

Secunia 2.0

#5 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,083 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2016 - 03:34 AM

Hi,
This program is working well on my computer. I have a couple of questions, I changed my settings from automatic updates to Download, but let me install updates. Also, in your blog you mention restoring hidden updates, I have some 10 updates hidden. Windows does not like my change in updates. Everything is working well though.

Its not my blog it belongs to the author of the program.

I'm not sure that I did understand your question about the hidden updates. If you don't clink on the button "Clean Windows Update Cache" the hidden updates will continue like that, sometimes they could appear again because Microsoft send them over and over.

My neighbors computer is slow as all get out. Was able to install your program on her computer, she had a lot of 10 files on it. She has an anti-virus, I never heard of it, but we will see how the program works on hers.
JIm

There are many reasons for a slow computer. Sometimes a malware check is needed if you think so post on the Am I infected? What do I do? section of the forum.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.

___
Rui

#6 guit30

guit30
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 244 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2016 - 04:28 AM

I didn't "clean the windows update cache". Can I just leave those updates hidden? They will just cause problems if I let them out.  I thought  the program was yours, sorry. Thanks for your help.

Jim

Eset Nod32 vs 8

Super Anti Spyware

Secunia 2.0

#7 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,083 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2016 - 05:00 AM

I didn't "clean the windows update cache". Can I just leave those updates hidden? They will just cause problems if I let them out.

Yes you can. Its your machine your choice, if you think the update(s) isn't needed for your case then you can hide them.

I thought  the program was yours, sorry. Thanks for your help.
Jim

No problem at all. You are welcome.

___
Rui

#8 vacuum tube

vacuum tube

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 PM

Posted 22 May 2016 - 05:45 AM

i just got a notice that win. 10 was going to upgrade in 2 days automatically,it did give me an option to cancel which i did. we shall see. on another note i ditched my lappie xp and now have a used deck top hp/win 7........for me it is like going from a pinto to a corvette.thank you again for all the past help and i hope your legal troubles have ceased....i donated

#9 mbald71

mbald71

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 AM

Posted 24 May 2016 - 01:31 AM

Hi,

In the beginning I was using a BAT file coupled with a VBS script to disable W10 prompts, but I've found that it often 'breaks' and the W10 prompt returns. With a little research I found Never10 from GRC, https://www.grc.com/never10.htm. I've used it on about 20 or more systems and have had much success with it!

#10 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2016 - 01:06 AM

- If you don't want to upgrade to Win 10 then remove or don't install Update KB 3035583.

- There's another problem in Win 7. When one shuts down one's system then Windows will ask what kind of action the user wants to perform. The default option is "Install Updates & shut down system". But when one uses that option then the user has no control over what updates are installed. Then simply all updates will be installed.

#11 vacuum tube

vacuum tube

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2016 - 08:04 AM

- If you don't want to upgrade to Win 10 then remove or don't install Update KB 3035583.

- There's another problem in Win 7. When one shuts down one's system then Windows will ask what kind of action the user wants to perform. The default option is "Install Updates & shut down system". But when one uses that option then the user has no control over what updates are installed. Then simply all updates will be installed.

i just did this removal ....thank you. be advised it took about an hour.....i was scared

#12 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2016 - 03:21 PM

- If you have used the "Disk Clean Up" tool to remove (obsolete) systemfiles then you won't be able to remove that one update. The you have to resort to the method described by "Sleepy Dude".

#13 vacuum tube

vacuum tube

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2016 - 04:01 PM

windows 10 upgrade icon is back as too the pop up ad to upgrade ........oh well

#14 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2016 - 04:20 PM

- Did you allow Windows Update to automatically install Updates ?

#15 vacuum tube

vacuum tube

• Members
  • 88 posts
  •  

Posted 28 May 2016 - 04:44 PM

yes.... do you think kb3035583 came back.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users