Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Networking help for a Non-Apple guy

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 outofluckchuck

outofluckchuck

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2016 - 02:12 AM

My landlord shares his internet connection with me and I helped troubleshoot his networking issues once.  I know basic home networking and this is what I advised:

• 2015 Before:
    • Ubee Cable Modem Gateway w/ DHCP Server connected to=>Airport Extreme 2nd Generation MB053LL/A with it's own separate DHCP Server
    • The Airport Extreme was connected to 4 Other Airport Express to wirelessly "extend" (repeat) the network, 3 of them were model MB321LL/A and one of them MC414LL/A.
  • 2015 After:
    • Ubee Cable Modem Gateway w/ DHCP Server => Airport Express MC414LL/Aas an extender.

When we did that, we found old iOS devices with old firmware that may have been causing network issues as well.  We upgraded all Mac computers, iPads, and iPhones and it seemed to have worked better.

In addition to that, the a DirecTV Wireless Genie that, when set to either static or dynamic, will still choose any random IP and cause IP conflicts, so we just decided to take it off wifi and forgo On-Demand.

That solution was working well, and then they started receiving more issues.  So they "fixed it" themselves.

Here is the current setup:

• Netgear C6300BD Cable Modem Gateway (w/ AC wifi, but unused) w/ DHCP Server connected to=>Airport Extreme 2nd Generation MB053LL/A but this time as a bridge (using a different SSID than the Netgear), using the Netgear's DHCP.
  • The Airport Extreme is again connected to 4 Other Airport Express to wirelessly "extend" (repeat) the network, 3 of them were model MB321LL/A and one of them MC414LL/A.

I am connected directly to the Netgear Wifi Gateway, set my devices to a Static IP, but I still sometimes receive several DNS issues even when specifying any DNS: local ISP, Google DNS, OpenDNS. 

On the Airport logs, you can see this happening on all the MAC addresses of the extenders:

May 18 18:54:57 5 Disassociated with station XXXXX
May 18 18:55:02 5 Rotated CCMP group key.
May 18 18:55:02 5 Deauthenticating with station XXXX (reserved 2).

I told my landlord:
  • the AC gateway ALONE will be better than running any of the older Apple Airports together
  • Using multiple extenders can cause issues
  • Using multiple extenders can reduce wifi bandwidth.  50Mbps on Netgear, 11Mbps on the extended network.
  • That it's not good to mix wifi draft-n, n, b/g extenders/routers.

As I mentioned before, my networking knowledge is limited to BASIC home networking.  

• Am I understanding this correctly?  
  • Am I correct that we should just be using the gateway if it can reach every corner of the single family home?  
  • Are there any other notorious Apple devices that may cause these wifi issues?
  • What else can I say to convince him to believe me?

I sometimes work from home and it has become nearly impossible to do that with such an unstable home network. TIA

Edited by outofluckchuck, 19 May 2016 - 02:27 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users