Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The revised beginners friendly linux list (2016 version)

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#46 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:43 PM

Posted 21 May 2016 - 02:53 AM

Brian, if you like VirtualBox, chances are you'll love VMware Workstation Player, no rules to create to attach devices upfront, even USB sticks that hasn't been used on the install before, as well as native BT connection out of the box. 

After download, right click & under Properties > Permissions, just place a check in the box to allow to allow executing file as program. Both Linux & Windows download are on this page & when installing, skip the page for key entry, as this is free. 

https://my.vmware.com/en/web/vmware/free#desktop_end_user_computing/vmware_workstation_player/12_0

To start the graphical installer in Terminal (two simple steps after the Permissions tab).

cd Downloads

Next step after the Terminal quickly shifts to Downloads is to copy/paste this command & enter password when requested.

sudo ./VMware-Player-12.1.1-3770994.x86_64.bundle

The graphical install wizard should start in a few seconds, skip the entry of key, being this is free software, follow any remaining prompts, and VMware Workstation Player is installed!  :)

Be sure to update the Tools upon request, which will require your sudo password 6-8 times. as it installs the tools for several types of OS's.

Now you're ready to experiment with both, and can then make an informed decision as to which is best. For example, VirtualBox only allows for 128-256MB VRAM, while VMware Workstation Player allows for up to 256MB-2GB, that's an 8x max increase in VRAM for virtual W10. :guitar:

Yet don't just take my word on it, download & install the Winaero WEI tool in W10, and run it, the scores will be higher in VMware than VirtualBox, meaning better performance. Since I've began running VMware Player in Linux Mint, have never looked back at VirtualBox. 

http://winaero.com/comment.php?comment.news.220

VMware also offers free tools, like to regain the OS from otherwise 'dead' computers, another Windows machine will be required to run the 'disk2vhd' app on the drive, both the system & 'C' partitions has to be retrieved, Recovery partition is optional & usually not needed, as VMware uses it's own drivers. Meaning the OS can be ran for as long as supported as a VM, on either Linux or Windows. That's also why one can create a VM and use so little drive space, the drivers evidently requires more room as the updates, have W10 & Office 2010 on mine, and still under 20GB used. :)

Of course, that's also assuming there's power under the hood, my W10 install has 4 CPU cores & 8GB RAM, of which 2GB is lent to VRAM. was running 12GB RAM, then VMware wanted more Swap space, had already increased to 4GiB & wasn't being used, so don't know why the software wanted more. With 32GB RAM, I see Swap as useless under any normal conditions, though if I also had both my W7 & XP Media Center VM's running, could see a bit of swapping going on, as the host OS would be down to 12GB total RAM left. 

Thought I'd let you know about the other option available, the Pro version of the same offering is costly, per year. Businesses uses VMware Workstation Pro for one employee to perform the work of 4 XP workstations, on high powered PCIe SSD's that were available lone before thought of in the consumer market. Even a 5 year old one that holds up to 1-2TB goes for $1,500-2,000 (down from $3500 just a couple of years back), secure erased with a certificate & ready to install in one's workstation. The only issue will be booting, a 3rd party card may be needed, or can simply use to host high powered VM's w/out compromise. 

Consumer grade SSD's aren't built for this type of workload, and though guaranteed for 10 years, will burn through the 150 TBW (which overrides the 10 year period) in a couple of months at best. Running 4 OS's on the SSD at once, plus the host OS, the writes will pile up fast, that is, if the SSD doesn't first succumb to the heat. :)

That's why I run root on SSD and /home & Swap on HDD. I'm aware of the limitations of these drives, hibernation, if used, is like one huge massive write, no consumer grade OS can withstand this type of continual usage. One must purchase a SanDisk commercial SSD for these uses, they're getting ready to release a 16TiB SSD for workstation use, the current limit, unless already changed, is 8TiB. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#47 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,078 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 AM

Posted 21 May 2016 - 04:52 AM

N, that is an inspirational site for both beginners and those al;ready using Linux.......for those wanting an introduction to Linux......go and have a look !!

The
about" page reads....."

My name is Umair and I am student of computer science (Specialized in Networks). We are online since 2011 and helping Linux community, you guys may know about http://www.NoobsLab.com that project is backed by us.

The idea behind this new project (OSboxes) is to provide ready to use Unix/Linux virtual machines, so anyone can easily download and use it regardless of host OS,

there are some reasons that other OS users may want to try Linux before they migrate to it,

some users simply don’t want to dual boot their system or they have some kind of hardware issue (like locked BIOS and so on),

and some people (like me) use Linux but also work on other distributions at the same time.

• We offer free help to the Linux community via our sites.
  •  
  • Fastest growing network.

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#48 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2016 - 05:23 AM

some users simply don’t want to dual boot their system or they have some kind of hardware issue (like locked BIOS and so on),

That's the beauty of running VM's, one can try as many OS's wished and:

One doesn't have to reboot to run another, regardless of OS. :)

That's how I've assisted many Windows users, straight from Linux Mint, I keep W10, 7 & XP MCE VM's for when needed. and can duplicate of assist with an issue in many cases. Though there are a few that still required a dual boot, or to another machine. The latter is rare, other than drivers. most issues can be solved w/out dual booting, or running on another machine. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#49 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 PM

Posted 31 May 2016 - 07:34 PM

Puppy doesn't seem to get very good press in some places.

Re: Puppy Linux: don't like dogs. Also, l can handle a full distro, don't need to go lightweight.

Nowt to do with full distro vs lightweight. Puppy is a full, lightweight distro. With a decent-spec machine, Puppy absolutely screams. You've no sooner thought about doing something than its already done, and Puppy's charging ahead, half-way through the next task...

This thing is so fast it's unreal. I'm running this on exactly the same hardware that used to struggle with Ubuntu's Unity 3D requirements, and freeze up as often as not. With the 'buntus, it was sluggish. With Puppy, light-speed is much nearer the mark..! And this is a 10-yr old system, for crying out loud; far from modern, although it was top-tier for its time. (It was a throw-out from my sister, when she bought a new one with Win7 pre-installed, as so many 'non-techies' do.)

There's got to be a way to say: "Oh, you have 3 OSes, what name do you want to call each on the menu? OK, now l'll list them, so that if you click one, it boots into that one".

With Puppy, that's exactly what you get. Puppy uses a specially-tweaked version of Grub4DOS, otherwise known as Grub Legacy. And while some folks say 'Don't use it; it hasn't been maintained for an age', that might well be correct for the publicly available version.....but Puppy's version is maintained by the community, and is as secure as anything you'll find.

I run XP, and eight Puppies, spread across 2 internal drives. After you've installed everything you want to, simply run Grub4DOS, and tell it which drives to search. It'll locate everything you've installed, and then it'll give you the choice to re-name every single entry to whatever you want. Then just 'OK' to install.....your 'menu.lst' goes onto sda1.

When you boot, you get a nice big clear list, with all of the names you yourself have just put on there. You select, you hit 'Enter'.....it boots. Couldn't be simpler. Grub4DOS will recognise absolutely anything you install, no matter what the OS might happen to be. It's an equal opportunity boot-loader!

And Puppy attracts a lot of Windows refugees; far more than you might credit. Absolutely everything is accompanied by wizards and tool-tips, which guide you through the process. My 98-yr old grandmother could install and use this thing, even if she'd never used a computer before in her life.....it's that simple.

Dual booting should be easy its Microsoft that makes it hard by needing to be installed first then trying to lock you down with UEFI, And its Microsoft that breaks grub and your ability to boot into Linux after some updates,

Have to agree with Nick, here. Though on the Ubuntu Forums (I used to belong to it, so I know whereof I speak) they make a mountain out of a molehill, when they get queries about 'Why can't I find Windows?' after a dual install of Ubuntu. What should be a two minute explanation gets dragged out into about 5 or 6 pages, each and every time. And they do love to make it sound so bloody complicated..!

No, it's Puppy for me, every time. I don't even look at the others any more.....and I've tried Mint, Zorin, PCLinuxOS, Debian, Fedora, Manjaro, OpenSuse, etc., etc. Even tried Haiku...(wouldn't even install, never mind boot!) It's easy to install; easy to run; easy to backup & and recover (a simple copy/paste operation!); it does everything I could ask of it (and then some.) My distro-hopping days are well & truly over. I'm a satisfied 'Puppy' user.....and I'll sing its praises as loud as I can, everywhere I can. I want to convert people to Puppy.....'cos the thing is a minor miracle of Aussie engineering, and the current bunch of developers deserve way more credit for their work than they're ever likely to get!

Mike.  :thumbup2:

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 31 May 2016 - 07:48 PM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#50 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,538 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 AM

Posted 31 May 2016 - 08:20 PM

'Why can't I find Windows?' after a dual install of Ubuntu. What should be a two minute explanation

sudo update-grub 

Fixes that.

Installing along side Windows with UEFI is easy, and there is no need to turn off secure boot.

#51 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,406 posts
  •  

Posted 01 June 2016 - 03:48 AM

I know that, you know that, Nick. And while I'll not deny that the UF are the place to go for help with Ubuntu, they do have this habit of looking down their noses at everybody else, even now.....

And I thought the days of 'RTFM' were over for good. (*sheesh*)  :huh:

(Ignore me.....I'm having one of those days..!)

Mike.  :P

Edited by Mike_Walsh, 01 June 2016 - 03:50 AM.

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#52 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2016 - 05:06 AM

Installing along side Windows with UEFI is easy, and there is no need to turn off secure boot.

Unless one is installing Windows 7 in that dual boot, then Secure Boot has to go. I know this from first hand experience. For whatever reason, Microsoft won't support their gold mine & largest group of users, yet they'll support (for $99) a Linux distro. No, I'm not going to pay $99 for a shim for a Windows 7 on my computers, yet even if I did, it still wouldn't work. 

Linus Torvalds should had stuck with his initial guns in this matter, and he had some very, very sharp & nasty words for the distro maintainers that first accepted this offer (I believe Red Hat was among the first). 

Furthermore, Microsoft should had taken care of their own paying customers (up to $319, depending on W7 edition) before outsiders, regardless of brand of OS dual booting with. We take care of our own families before others, they should had done the same. 

This is really so funny it makes me wonder what's going on. Linux users doesn't like the 'sniff test' of Ubuntu being on Windows computers, on the other hand, doesn't mind their distro forking over $99 to Microsoft when they can advise anyone who wants their distro to disable Secure Boot. If you don't like Microsoft's policies, then stand your ground. Which I've done long ago, and as a service to anyone who I assist, will perform this simple, painless task for them. Secure Boot does not block (or intercept in real time) Malware or infections, period, if so, I'd love the idea. Rather, it takes one's computer, and performs the equivalent of handcuffing from behind. I can't find the article any longer, yet it was Nick himself who posted a long & humorous article (& truthful) that's the status quo today. While some folks will concede, I won't. We can stand for something, or fall for anything. 

Plus they load vPro & other technologies in their CPU's (at least AMD's is open source), so even if one is running a OEM computer w/out Windows period, unless changes are made in the UEFI to disable network boot, there's a huge backdoor wide open for the OEM, Intel, Microsoft & the NSA to reach into the computer anyway. While on notebooks/other portables, there's little we can do, on the other hand, we should build our PC's & be our own OEM to stop the bleeding, Simply replacing the MB with a retail model that's compatible with one's CPU & RAM will accomplish the same, and Windows can be reactivated easily (if installed). 

I have to admit, while Apple is generally a small user base, they're the richest tech corporation in the US, and have shown in recent months that they're not afraid of the US government. Microsoft gave away their rights many years ago, as the first large corporation to join PRISM. Apple will leave if pushed any further, they're being asked to install back doors in their computers, tablets & in particular, smartphones. This is a direct violation of our Constitution, as far as privacy goes, and the actions of a few shouldn't change policies for the masses. 

So the above quote depends on what OS one is dual booting Linux with. 

Cat

#53 Linux_User

Linux_User

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2016 - 12:37 PM

Then you list Arch ? .. Where's Gentoo or LFS ? ;)

Okay so it says "Not for beginners" .. so what's it doing in the list which is clearly labelled "beginners friendly" ?

And whether you personally like Mint or not doesn't come into it (or shouldn't) .. it's widely regarded as "user friendly", WAY more so than Arch for goodness sake, but also than Debian/Fedora/Manjaro/Mageia .. and dare I say it Cinnamon is more Windows user friendly (if only because of its layout) than even MATE.

IMHO that is a very strange list indeed .. but then again it's all purely opinion right.

Edited by Linux_User, 07 July 2016 - 12:42 PM.

#54 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2016 - 04:06 AM

Linux_User, you raise a point! :)

What may not be 'beginners friendly' to one, may be so to another, just depends on how one catches on. The more skill the better, though anyone whom desires can run the distros, including the ones you brought up that was left off the list. User friendly of an OS is subjective, as are other choices in life. Some likes steaks & fine wine, others likes grits & eggs instead, washed down with another beverage. There's no 'one size fits all' here, and to be honest, this revised list is based on personal taste, rather than real world usage. 

Some may want the harder ones for the experience. After all, it's been stated on this forum if one can run Puppy (by that I mean well versed), then one can run most any Linux distro. Whether or not that's true, I have no idea, because I boot into FatDog64 to diagnose computers, not to learn the OS. 

Cat

#55 Linux_User

Linux_User

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2016 - 07:55 AM

Agreed, but my point was that the OP titled the topic

then added

6: Arch: for those willing to look up documentation and instillation guides and want to learn the nitty gritty, NOT for beginners but has a awesome wiki

Which is a bit confusing don't you think ?

Then in further postings states Linux Mint isn't user friendly because they no longer (illegally in some countries) install the restricted codecs out of the box .. erm, like everyone else on his list <scratches head>

Edited by Linux_User, 09 July 2016 - 07:59 AM.

#56 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,538 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:43 AM

Posted 09 July 2016 - 05:12 PM

I liked most of your post but this part. I'm telling it how i find it. If you find it different, good for you :) But please don't tell me to go to MS :'(

I don't think Nick was meaning as you should actually go to MS, so I wouldn't take it literally

What I said is

Dual booting should be easy its Microsoft that makes it hard by needing to be installed first then trying to lock you down with UEFI, And its Microsoft that breaks grub and your ability to boot into Linux after some updates, Maybe you should take that up with M$.

And I meant it,

It is Microsoft that insists its first in the boot order, It is Microsoft that makes dual or more booting hard, It is Microsoft that breaks Grub after some updates forcing the end user to repair it.

So yes you need to complain to Microsoft about the way they operate 

There's a big ethical question around quadrupedal booting, let's not go there

Ethical?

#57 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2016 - 03:55 AM

@ NickAu

"Dual booting should be easy its Microsoft that makes it hard by needing to be installed first then trying to lock you down with UEFI, And its Microsoft that breaks grub and your ability to boot into Linux after some updates, Maybe you should take that up with M$."

@ cat1092,

Nice response, but one criticism: It seems a bit excessive to attack Zorin just for asking for donations. They're geared for total newbs coming from Windows, and big deal if they're out for some money although l'd say that they should make it clear that what they're offering is free software. I've never used Zorin. Maybe users get something back that they don't get with other OSes.

As to the first part of your post, you may be surprised to find that many has. Yet these 'feedback' options of Windows 10 falls on deaf ears. It'll take a class action lawsuit on behalf of all Linux users to make Microsoft change their policies. Actually they're flirting with being broken into smaller corporations, like Ma Bell of the early 80's. :P

I'd be ticked pink to see that happen & so would many consumers, it's time for a shakedown (or breakdown) of Microsoft, who feels they can do as they dang well please, and are doing a good job of that. All it would had taken years ago a judge who had viewed the facts rather than his personal opinion, and Microsoft would by another Yahoo or AOL today, struggling to make ends meet. 

As to the second part, the answer is simple. You purchase a Professional OS, you expect 24/7 support, just as Microsoft, Apple, Google, Canonical & others provides. That's all that I expect of the paid editions, is to support their 'donors'. Zorin OS hides behind 'donations' so that they don't have to provide support. Plus if they were a US based corporation, the founders would be in prison for just cause. They're not an approved site for deductible donations, though they make themselves appear as such. Bottom line, a donation is deductible, no matter the amount, they're hiding behind international law & will refuse to answer emails as to what you'll get for your donation. Not even PayPal can force them to come off the goods. 

Though if I truly wanted the latest Zorin OS Pro, I'd have it within minutes. There's nothing that (at the moment) can stop redistribution of free software & it can be found off-site. If the devs were more honest folks, Zorin OS would have huge potential. Taking free software & reselling is an outright fraud, and on US soil, these devs would be shut down & prosecuted. If they won't answer email in regards to their OS, that tells a lot about the folks at Zorin. 

Cat

#58 Linux_User

Linux_User

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2016 - 05:57 AM

Comment removed .. as a waste fo time.

Edited by Linux_User, 10 July 2016 - 06:54 AM.

#59 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2016 - 01:45 AM

Re: Linux Mint 17 being the best (Post #17) - it's nothing compared to Mint 13 (which is still supported, Long Term Release / Support). Erm, I mean, at least you can fully shut down an external drive, as in park the discs, on Mint 13. Mint 17 can at least disconnect the external drive every time (unlike Windows any-version), but you still hear the external drive humming. Mint 13 kills it dead, just as Windows does, except usually Windows is unable to disconnect the external drive.

One fix that may not apply to all (only owners of WD drives) is the Ultimate Boot CD, (aka UBCD) boot into it & go to HDD section, there's a WDIDLE option. Type (or copy/paste) w/out quotes 'wdidle3 /d' The '/d' meaning that parking, which causes the start/stop cycles to appear more than the actual hours of use of the WD drive(s) in the system in some extreme cases, is now disabled. Therefore the hours in use will increase, and the start/stop cycles (spindown) will stop until the computer is actually shutdown or rebooted. Which in turn affects drive life big time. Hours running doesn't in itself cause harm to HDD's, it's stop/start cycles that does. 

As a less aggressive measure, one can alter the power plan not to stop drives for say, 5,000 minutes, but whether or not the OS respects your decision is another discussion. It's best to simply physically disable parking using the wdidle3 /d option, this is in the firmware of the HDD, not in a root folder of any OS. One can use the same tool to make changes. And regardless of what any articles saying this is about WD 'Green' Drives, it applies to all current SATA based WD drives, even the Caviar/Scorpio Black, as well as the RE4 & especially RE4-GP (the trick turns the 'GP' (aka Green Power) model into a traditional & powerful RE4). The GP is a sales gimmick at the expense of later premature hardware failure, as is Fast Boot with later versions of Windows. The newer the HDD at time of tweak, the better, preferably right out of the box. 

The older Linux MInt versions (such as 13) has this power option to select as a default (to disable spindown). Plus these OS's did shut down when the command was given, and not 3-5 minutes later. While in part this may be caused by the many 'tweaks' of today, I have doubts about this, as most of these are geared towards SSD owners, which by chance aren't WD HDD's. Many of today's speed tweaks weren't even published then, though a few were, one in particular ended with me drowning in issues (was either TMPFS or Preload, or both). 

Yet there's a lot of truth in your quote, in some ways, Mint 13 LTS was a better OS than 14,15,16 (these are now unsupported) & 17/18 LTS. I notice the stall of boot even with Linux MInt 18, just have no idea of what's taking place during this time. If too long, will force shutdown the computer. Thing is, on a SSD, shutdown should occur before I can get my arm lifted from the power button. Why it doesn't on an untweaked Mint 18 is totally baffling, and leaves a lot more questions than answers provided today. :(

Cat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users