Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The revised beginners friendly linux list (2016 version)

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Members
  • 3,275 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 AM

Posted 19 May 2016 - 01:46 AM

So its 2016 and times are a changing for linux.

With Linux Mint 18 no longer going to offer codecs/ multimedia playback by default it its not longer going to be recommended by me to new users so now the game has changed... what is the new easy to use linux for beginners and those totally new to linux?

Well here is my revised list of what distros to try and what order to do them in.

1: Ubuntu Mate 16.04: 

Ubuntu Mate is a impressive and surprisingly enough easy distro to work with for new users.

It offers loads of customization options and while its default UI has two separate panels it will be easy enough to get into.

With great features such as the Welcome screen and its incredibly awesome software boutique it would be more upfront to new users who may not have a clue what to do.

Its ubuntu base offers loads of info and makes it easy to work with

https://ubuntu-mate.org/

2: Manjaro Linux: Yes after some deliberation Manjaro linux is now my second place distro for beginners for the time being.

Currently there are only a few reasons why I would rank Ubuntu Mate higher, yes Manjaro offers multimedia playback by default but its in a transition period on its main website but once its wiki is back up expect to see it as my number 1, its two main editions offer many good options for those are fresh from Microsoft windows.

https://manjaro.github.io/

3:  Fedora: Fedora offers a great community forum and while I think its installer rather bad it does offer a nice system for those willing to take some learning.

https://getfedora.org/

4: Mageia: this offshoot of Mandriva offers a very solid distro, stable and reliable.

The only reason why I rank it lower than fedora is the fact its not as big as some of the others, sure Manjaro is community driven too but it has its arch linux base.

https://www.mageia.org/en/

5: Debian: the ol reliable of Linux, while not beginner friendly it does offer a massive amount of packages and is very stable

http://www.debian.org/

I have my roots in debian, these days i am kicking Manjaro as my main distrro but debian still holds its place in my heart.

6: Arch: for those willing to look up documentation and instillation guides and want to learn the nitty gritty, NOT for beginners but has a awesome wiki

https://www.archlinux.org/

Edited by MadmanRB, 19 May 2016 - 03:57 AM.

You know you want me baby!

Proud Linux user and dual booter.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Condobloke

Condobloke

Outback Aussie @ 54.2101 N, 0.2906 W

• Members
  • 6,107 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 AM

Posted 19 May 2016 - 02:25 AM

Linux Mint 18.......not for beginners..??...too hard...??

As the release date for Linux Mint 18 approaches, project announcers have reported that they are no longer shipping live CD images with embedded codecs. Furthermore, they also are dropping support for OEM images with codecs. These changes bring Mint in line with most other distros, which also feature codec-free images. This also means they can release new versions of Mint faster.

At first glance, this may seem to be a case of the developers putting their needs ahead of their users', but in actual fact, the impact on end users will be minimal. The new flavor of Mint will come with several simple ways to include codecs during or after installation. (It will require an Internet connection to download the codec packages.)

Including the codecs at install time is a simple matter of ticking a check box.

Even if the user misses the check box (with a bad case of dialog box blindness), the codec option still will be visible on the welcome screen. And, there's also an option in the main menu to install the codecs under Sound and Video. Of course, users confident with the console may prefer to use apt-get.

This information from HERE

Condobloke ...Outback Australian  fed up with Windows antics...??....LINUX IS THE ANSWER....I USE LINUX MINT 18.3  EXCLUSIVELY.

“A man travels the world in search of what he needs and returns home to find it."

It has been said that time heals all wounds. I don't agree. The wounds remain. Time - the mind, protecting its sanity - covers them with some scar tissue and the pain lessens, but it is never gone. Rose Kennedy

GcnI1aH.jpg

#3 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3,275 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2016 - 02:31 AM

No mint is  just another buntu spin now, with a bad update process from version to version and nothing to make it stand out from the crowd.

Even cinnamon can be used on other distros by now

A tick box is not the issue, most new users dont even know what a codec is so having a tick box is not effective in luring in potential new users.

Mint is now just a junk bin distro, I would rank it among the likes of PClinux and openSUSE 42.1

Edited by MadmanRB, 19 May 2016 - 02:32 AM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#4 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 8,031 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 PM

Posted 19 May 2016 - 03:09 AM

A tick box is not the issue, most new users dont even know what a codec is so having a tick box is not effective in luring in potential new users.

Most new users won't know what "ubuntu restricted extras" are either, yet having a tick box to install them seems to be effective.

#5 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3,275 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2016 - 03:33 AM

Still I do find the welcome screen in Ubuntu mate far more useful for new beginners

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#6 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,691 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 AM

Posted 19 May 2016 - 07:06 AM

With Linux Mint 18 no longer going to offer codecs/ multimedia playback by default it its not longer going to be recommended by me to new users

We will just have to remind users to install restricted extras like we do to turn on firewall.

#7 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3,275 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2016 - 07:11 AM

Perhaps but i still rather not point to Mint, Mint has not been the same since the hack and its been going down the tubes for a while.

Its only saving grace is cinnamon but even that is not really that exclusive anymore.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#8 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,691 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 AM

Posted 19 May 2016 - 07:34 AM

Mint, Mint has not been the same since the hack and its been going down the tubes for a while.

How so? Why?

The server was hacked and the ISO replaced, The Mint team quickly rectified that situation and thats the main thing, and that should in no way reflect on Linux Mint as a good operating system for a novice.

These things happen and nobody and nothing is 100% immune, as we have seen lately with all sorts of places being hacked, The script kiddies of the past are being replaced by a new breed of hacker who knows their stuff, and its only going to get worse because there is big money in it, The more users Linux gets the more attention the bad guys will pay. 

And remember at the end of the day they only hacked forum software, Anybody who owns a site or runs a site will tell you, some of that software can be a nightmare to lock down.  

#9 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 AM

Posted 19 May 2016 - 11:24 AM

I'm with Nick... in what way has Mint been terrible after getting their site hacked and the ISO replaced? They responded pretty well in my opinion. Better than bigger companies have to hacks if you ask me.

I wouldn't put Fedora anywhere in that list honestly. Fedora can be a royal pain in the *** and I wouldn't recommend it to new users. If anything just the absolutely horrible install process should put anyone off. I used Fedora for a decent amount of time, I like the distro don't get me wrong, but I wouldn't put a new user on it.

Also the fact that it is much easier to find solutions to something Debian based (usually Ubuntu). I know cause I was there. Trying to search for things related to Fedroa, that had the commands I needed to run in Fedora, was difficult. I knew linux and had been using it for a bit, but when it came to more commands with the terminal it was difficult to get the ones I needed. Know if I get something that is Debian based I can usually translate it to RedHat based... but that takes time.

OS - Ubuntu 14.04/16.04 & Windows 10
Custom Desktop PC / Lenovo Y580 / Sager NP8258 / Dell XPS 13 (9350)

#10 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3,275 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2016 - 12:36 PM

There are a few reasons why I think fedora is better than Debian in the difficulty bell-curve.

Firstly that while yes Anaconda is rather abysmal as a installer the debian installer is much worse.

I am not talking about synaptic, no synaptic is great I am talking about the installer on a debian disk image.

Secondly Fedora's documentation is top notch, debian seems very old fashioned in comparison

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#11 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2016 - 12:52 PM

I wasn't talking about Debian specifically, more the off shoots of Debian (Ubuntu, etc etc). Specifically more Ubuntu (which is 1 on your list). Its user base and forums are second to none in my opinion. Thankfully once you get to know linux, you can use much of that same knowledge that is geared towards ubuntu, to other distros as well.
I agree though, Debian's installer is horrible. I hated it so much I didn't even install it.

#12 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3,275 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2016 - 01:02 PM

Well I would recommend distros like solydXK or sparkylinux but they do have some drawbacks.

Same thing with deepin and Neptune.

That drawback is actually debian itself, for as much as I love and admire debian there are some drawbacks to using it.

Firstly there is the issue of debian stable, it is perhaps a little too stable for those wanting the latest and greatest.

Debian testing is good but you have to update your sources for when a new testing is out and it is a rather tedious process.

And unstable... is just that, unstable.

I actually find archlinux to be more stable than debian sid

Edited by MadmanRB, 19 May 2016 - 01:06 PM.

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#13 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2016 - 01:21 PM

Again, yes don't use Debian itself. Just like RedHat (acutal RedHat) it is meant to be a stable OS. It really isn't meant for single user use. More of server type use (which it is good at). If you want the latest stuff you use Ubuntu, Mint, etc etc.

ArchLinux is a great distro. Just way to complicated for most users. I haven't gotten around to to playing with it myself. Just don't have the time at the moment.

#14 MadmanRB

MadmanRB

Spoon!!!!

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3,275 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2016 - 02:15 PM

Well why do you think arch is on the bottom of my bellcurve?

The only reason why I mention it all is its awesome wiki, unbeatable in the linux community

Proud Vivaldi user.

xu847p-6.png

#15 DeimosChaos

DeimosChaos

• BC Advisor
  • 1,420 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2016 - 02:23 PM

Was never questioning as to why Arch is at the bottom/is on the list.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users