Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Transfering hard drive to another computer...possible??

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
12 replies to this topic

#1 allstock

allstock

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:10 AM

Posted 19 May 2016 - 12:32 AM

I've researched this for a while and have come up with mixed results. Put simply; all things being equal except for CPUs, is it possible to transfer a HDD from one laptop to another and have it function properly? Any of you experience this? Thanks for reading!

Should add that it would have an active OS on it.

Edited by allstock, 19 May 2016 - 12:42 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Vijaye

Vijaye

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 PM

Posted 19 May 2016 - 01:59 AM

I don't recommend it, but if you decide to, be sure to back up any important data before you do it. https://askleo.com/can_i_move_my_old_computers_hard_drive_to_my_new_computer/

#3 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 389 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 PM

Posted 19 May 2016 - 02:12 AM

For two identical laptops the hard disk drive will transfer & it will work properly - the operating system on the hard drive however may well not work correctly & if it is Windows it will not be activated in the replacement machine. A Windows OEM licence as supplied with most laptops is tied to the original machine (motherboard) so you would not be able to legally re-activate on the replacement machine.

Edited by rqt, 19 May 2016 - 02:13 AM.

#4 allstock

allstock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2016 - 02:31 AM

Yeah, I saw that ask Leo article. He gave me confidence unfortunately I think all modern laptops and desktops that do have Windows makes the OS tied to the motherboards like rqt said. Shucks!...... ....But wait! what is this?? What is SYSTEM PREP....? All of you guys using Windows need to know this. There are a few important stipulations before doing this. It's still brilliant. This is what Microsoft won't tell you I've read. I guess I answered my own question. I'm pretty sure I meet the criterion so this should work hopefully. Thanks guys

Here's a link to explain. I'm sure this will help many even the most seasoned. http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/135077-windows-7-installation-transfer-new-computer.html

Edited by allstock, 19 May 2016 - 02:37 AM.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:10 AM

Posted 19 May 2016 - 10:46 AM

As previously post, that OEM operating system is tied to the motherboard of the computer it was installed in originally.  

The sysprep can be used to generalize the operating system so that the previous identifiers which Windows recognizes will be removed and Windows then can recognize the identifiers of another motherboard.  But you will not be able to activate this other computer because the Windows operating system is tied to the original motherboard.  Something else you should be aware of, if you have updated from say Vista to Windows 7 the sysprep will not work.  The same is true if you have Windows 8 and update it to Windows 8.1.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 allstock

allstock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2016 - 07:15 PM

As previously post, that OEM operating system is tied to the motherboard of the computer it was installed in originally.  

The sysprep can be used to generalize the operating system so that the previous identifiers which Windows recognizes will be removed and Windows then can recognize the identifiers of another motherboard.  But you will not be able to activate this other computer because the Windows operating system is tied to the original motherboard.  Something else you should be aware of, if you have updated from say Vista to Windows 7 the sysprep will not work.  The same is true if you have Windows 8 and update it to Windows 8.1.

My OS is the original non upgraded. 

The entire thread that I linked was dedicated to transferring your OS to a new computer. If system prep wouldn't work in that case then the thread and to an extent system prep would be pointless. 

The motherboards are identical except for the CPUs. I'll be tackling this over the weekend and will come back to report. And yes I will mirror before I attempt. Thanks

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2016 - 10:37 AM

Because the other motherboard has a different CPU Windows will recognize this and may not allow the computer to be activated.

Windows becomes non-genuine after some hardware changes to prevent you from taking a copy of Windows tied to one computer’s hardware and move it to a new computer.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#8 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2016 - 11:02 AM

Will this route help thread starter?  http://product.key-downloader.com/

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#9 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2016 - 11:25 AM

No.

#10 allstock

allstock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2016 - 12:47 PM

Thanks dc3. Here I come again full circle. That's why you're the pro. Didn't even try after I reread the forum link.

The take away....Buy the retail version and enjoy all the freedom of hopping from one HDD/SSD or motherboard to another. Looks like another visit to used computer stuff land for me.

Here are some rules(copied from somewhere on the web, don't remember):

With windows 7 OEM the license is tied to the first motherboard it's installed on.With Windows 8 you can move it to another build when you are done with this one , but only one computer at a time.With Windows 8 0EM you can change all the hardware you want including the motherboard.

OEM versions of Windows 7 are identical to Full License Retail versions except for the following:

- OEM versions do not offer any free Microsoft direct support from Microsoft support personnel

- OEM licenses are tied to the very first computer you install and activate it on

- OEM versions allow all hardware upgrades except for an upgrade to a different model motherboard

- OEM versions cannot be used to directly upgrade from an older Windows operating system

Microsoft.com ^

OEM vs. Retail

OEM Windows 7 comes preinstalled on computers. This is the cheapest way to buy windows. Large PC manufacturers like Dell, HP etc. (collectively called royalty OEMs) install windows on millions of such PCs. The main characteristics of such systems are:

The license agreement and support agreement is between you and the PC maker, not MS.

Activation by the end user is not required. Windows is preactivated at the factory by the OEM using images and standard SLP keys.

Your copy of windows is locked to that PC. The license is not transferable.

OEM system builder is what you get when you buy from say Newegg or from a local "white box" vendor. It too has the characteristics of Royalty OEM windows. Although it is possible for an individual to buy a System Builder copy, the license requires that the software be installed using the OPK (OEM preinstall kit) and then resold.

Retail version is what you buy from a retailer like Amazon or Bestbuy. Its a full price version that comes packaged in a retail box with a retail product key. It has to be activated online via MS servers using the key on the box, it is not tied to the PC it was first installed on, though it can only be used on a single computer at a time. And, MS directly provides the support for it. It is also more expensive than OEM copies.

As far as functionality is concerned, theres no difference between any of the versions above, given any specific edition (i.e. between OEM pro and retail pro, or between OEM ultimate and retail ultimate).

sevenforums.com

Windows 8 OEM is a whole different ballgame.

License agreement for the transfer of a Windows 8 license
http://personaluselicense.windows.com/en-US/default.asp...

Edited by allstock, 21 May 2016 - 12:59 PM.

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2016 - 02:47 PM

The bottom line here is that your copy of Windows is tied to the OEM computer.  What you are attempting to do is to circumvent the existing copyright or security measures of a Microsoft product.  This is against the Forum Rules here at Bleeping Computer.

No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures. If a user persists and/or the activity is obviously illegal the staff reserves the right to remove such content and/or ban the user. This would also mean encouraging the use or continued use of pirated software is not permitted, and subject to the same consequences.

#12 allstock

allstock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 120 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2016 - 03:50 PM

Seeing this as a circumvention of copyright rules is perfectly acceptable to me if that is your perspective. To me, I'm trying to get my system going with the means possible. If you saw it as a breaking of a forum rule and the copyright laws then what you should do is report me right then and there. If I were revoked from this particular forum It really wouldn't bother me. What I think bothers me more now, is communicating in the same group that share your ideology, dc3. I think the reality of it is that no one really cares what your or my beliefs are. This is a public forum and it's everyone's decision on what rules to follow and see through any consequences. The context of my posts are mine and and if you or anyone else here would like to prohibit me of asking certain questions or responding in any fashion then that is your right as well. If you feel it is the right thing to do, keep on. If you need to appease the administrators and stay within social and legal lines than do it. The bottom line from this utilitarian user of computers and this forum is - people like you disgust me. You or anyone here can try to rationalize things, but I think that would just be hypocrisy. You either fear rules or are particular to them; this is the web dc3 and a forum.

#13 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,904 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:10 PM

Posted 21 May 2016 - 04:11 PM

I was planning on being more courteous and explanatory, but the last two posts go too far.