Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Load Error, Can't Get Friend's Computer To Start

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 BallistikBombshell

BallistikBombshell

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 AM

Posted 07 August 2006 - 11:54 PM

My friend's computer shut off when she was halfway through playing a song downloaded from LimeWire which she hadn't scanned.

She tried turning it back on, and it would go to the screen with boot options (safe mode, normal, etc.), but no matter which option she chose, it would always think for a moment, flash a blue screen for half a second (the only word I could make out was 'corrupt'), the message covered the quarter top of the screen.

The computer is a Dell Dimension 4300 running on Windows XP Pro (a pirated version, with almost NO updates, no firewall, and the only time she ever scanned it (with Hijackthis) was after she was having problems with popups, and I got her to download it and send me the logfile to help her out. I was quite surprised at how few problems she had, considering her complete lack of protection.

So... should I try booting from disk? That was my first instinct but I didn't have any time, I'm going back tomorrow. I think I might just reformat her computer and install legitimate Windows XP. Is that my best option?

Is this a load error caused by a virus, or something else?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 -David-

-David-

• Members
  • 10,603 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:13 AM

Posted 08 August 2006 - 04:34 AM

Hey BallistikBombshell,
Welcome to BC :thumbsup:

I've read through your problem and I would be inclined to reformat and install a legitimate version of XP.
The fact this computer has virtually no updates shows the OS is illegal.
Reformatting with a legal version will ensure updates are possible and that this won't happen again.

I understand that you would probably want to salvage some documents/files of that computer,
You could boot from a disc and try running the PC in safe mode to copy some files.
The blue screen error with "corrupt" sounds very grim, and if this XP is illegal there will be no CD,
This rules out the windows repair facility - "sfc".

Without knowing what the exact error is it is hard to tell what caused it,
However, without updates/firewall etc it is likely a corruption caused by malware.
David

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users