Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Super Anti Spy Ware Removal Tools

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 tcooper

tcooper

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 18 May 2016 - 09:55 PM

I use Super Anti Spy Ware and Malwarebytes Anti-Malware. I have scanned for the last week with Super Anti Spy Ware  and I have 229t threats (none in  Malwarebytes). I select remove and they go away. Then they come back. 

I have run the scan in Safemode and the same thing happens. They keep coming back, or not really going away. I have run the scans over and over again while updating and the same things happens. 

What's do I do next?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,288 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 AM

Posted 19 May 2016 - 05:13 AM

What type of threats were detected...were they cookies?

SUPERAntiSpyware will scan for cookies by default and show them as Adware.Tracking Cookies threat detections. There is no need to scan for them since cookies pose no significant threat (see here) and anti-malware scanners have more important things to look for. You can ignore scanning for cookies by changing the settings and disabling the option to "Search for cookies". Doing that will also decrease the amount of time it takes to perform a scan.

Malwarebytes intentionally does not search for and remove cookies.

We do not detect or remove cookies as they are not considered a malware threat to your system. There are plenty of 3rd party programs to remove or you can even have most browsers automatically remove if you like.

Malwarebytes forum, Post #2 by AdvancedSetup (Root Admin)

If they are not cookies, then you may want to start a new topic in the Am I infected? What do I do? forum for further assistance with malware removal.

OR follow the instructions provided in the Malware Removal and Log Section Preparation Guide starting at Step 6.
  • If you cannot complete a step, then skip it and continue with the next.
  • In Step 6 there are instructions for downloading and running FRST which will create two logs.
When you have done that, post your logs in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum, NOT here, for assistance by the Malware Response Team.

If you choose to post a log...after doing that, please reply back in this thread with a link to the new topic.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 tcooper

tcooper
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 23 May 2016 - 04:36 AM

Just Cookies. 

I omitted that from the scan and it is clear. 

So cookies are ok? 

I guess I need a new idea & solution for my poor computer performance. 

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,288 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2016 - 06:14 AM

As I noted in the other topic....as long as you surf the Internet, you are going to get cookies and some of your security programs will flag them for removal. Anti-malware scanners have more important things to look for, so I would recommend disabling the option to search for cookies which will also decrease the amount of time it takes to perform a scan. You can minimize the number of cookies which are stored on your computer by using tools like SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol’s Cookie Manager and Ghostery, a browser tool which allows you to block beacons, trackers, advertising, analytics, widgets and cookies.

If you have not done so already, you may want to read: Answers to common security questions - Best Practices for Safe Computing

#5 Itguy2016

Itguy2016

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 AM

Posted 23 May 2016 - 12:55 PM

I beg to differ on Cookies.While cookies don't pose a malware risk directly, they've been shown to increase threat surface, compromise privacy and potentially be 'used' with malware. I value products that scan for cookies, like Norton/Symantec, and always felt it was too soon to abandon cookies as a risk.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/2013/12/11/latest-snowden-revelation-nsa-uses-google-cookies-against-targets/

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,288 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2016 - 06:11 PM

As noted in the link I provided above...I said that cookies are NOT a "threat" in the typical sense we think of malware infection. I also provided information in regards to new research disclosimg that cookies can be used to allow remote attackers to bypass a secure protocol (HTTPS) and reveal private session information. The point, is that anti-malware scanners have more important things to look for. Cookies can be dealt with separately.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users