Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Desktop icons bugging out - Dell Inspiron i7559

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Matttpk

Matttpk

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:14 AM

Posted 18 May 2016 - 09:28 PM

I just got this computer today. Everything is working great aside from the desktop icons. I downloaded steam and a few other basic programs like Bitdefender, CCleaner, and MalwareBytes. After playing an older game on steam I noticed this happening with my icons. Any ideas on how to reverse this? Thanks!

Attached File  iconbug.jpg   26.6KB   0 downloads

P.S. I can provide an entire list of the programs I've downloaded if needed. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Cauthon

Cauthon

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 AM

Posted 20 May 2016 - 09:51 AM

I found your post because I am looking for a solution to a similar problem. My icons are not quite as scrambled as yours, but Windows installed 29,361 updates today and after that, all the icons were neatly arranged in a compact array at the left side of the screen, with those for spreadsheet programs, anti-virus, browsers, and various junk all randomly thrown together. So, I organized them into categories again, hoping for the best, but it may not be worth the effort if it won't last. So, I will be watching this thread to see if anyone suggests a way to explain to the demon in the machine that it should leave them alone. Surely in a proper, well-run world the user would be able to arrange the icons according to personal preference, but maybe not in the real world that we live in.

It's a little like working with spreadsheet programs, where you have stuff on various pages, and when you go from, e.g., A to B and then back to A, the page is moved around randomly so you don't see the data you were working with on that page until you navigate back to it. Or Windows Exploder, where you click on a sub-folder and the whole column moves up or down so that the file you are looking for is near or past the bottom of the screen and you have to explain that you want it back up where you can see it. I am fairly sure that all of these bugs were intended as features, but the software writers can't know enough about what the many users are going to want; and the results I have seen are so bad that I don't think the system is even doing what the writer intended; no human could be that dumb, it takes a recreant demon in the machine to be as mean as that :-)

#3 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:14 AM

Posted 20 May 2016 - 01:24 PM

It sounds like you need to go to the Display applet of the Control Panel and make the necessary adjustments.  Windows is just magnifying the screen image more that the space that's there.

Good luck.

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users