Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New motherboard, which drivers do I need and how to install?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Lazee

Lazee

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 PM

Posted 18 May 2016 - 05:07 PM

Hi. I just replaced the motherboard in a Samsung NP300V5A-A05UK and didn't realise it would need new drivers. The replacement is a Scala3-15/Petronas-15 Rev 1.5 whereas the original is a Rev1.1.

To complicate things it also has a new hard drive, as the old one failed just before I took the old motherboard out. The new hard drive is a WD, loaded with a backup from when we first got this laptop a couple of years ago, a fairly clean Windows 7. Don't have a more recent backup. I know. Don't ask. It's the wife's computer >:-(  

It opens into BIOS, the BIOS recognises the HDD and the CDD, but won't boot into Windows. I tried a different HDD from another Samsung laptop, different model, and it boots into Windows but with limited graphics, and no LAN capability.

So I'm assuming I need drivers. (WD say their HDD use the drivers in the OS so I'm slightly concerned as to why this won't boot into Windows.) Samsung has 50 drivers for this model listed at http://www.samsung.com/uk/support/model/NP300V5A-A05UK, but how do I know which I need? And is installing them straightforward? I have a Windows 7 Repair Disk which appears to have the capability to move files, and will read from the new hard drive.

So I need to know

1. which drivers do I need

2. how to install them

Many thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 843 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 PM

Posted 19 May 2016 - 03:00 PM

I don't think your problem is driver related; but, the usual part numbers for that board are BA92-09190A, for example, and they are on a barcode sticker on the memory socket.  What are the numbers on the old and new boards? 

And, did you try Safe Mode?

Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#3 Lazee

Lazee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 PM

Posted 22 May 2016 - 03:45 AM

Thanks Davis, I think you're right about it not being a driver problem. I've tried a number of repair options, Startup Repair from the Win 7 Repair disc, but it can't repair it. I've also replaced the HD backup with a clone of the original (faulty) HD and it gives the same error messages on startup repair. So I think I'm looking at a clean install. Thanks for the input.

#4 Fascist Nation

Fascist Nation

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 23 May 2016 - 08:17 AM

Two BIOS settings to check are if the SATA controller is set to AHCI mode and not IDE Emulation.  And the Secure Boot is disabled, and EFI is set to include a legacy mode for Windows7.

I agree, it is unlikely to be a driver situation unless the MB revisions actually changed significant chips.  Usually a chip may have changed but rarely is it something that completely blocks function systemwide.

The easiest test without doing a clean install is to boot up a copy of Linux (but don;t install it).  Select the run in memory option.  This bypasses the boot drive and well, you guessed it, runs in memory.  If it works then you know the issue is with the boot drive, or what is on it (OS, drivers, startup apps, services). 

If it doesn't work then you know it is a hardware issue.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,595 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:37 AM

Posted 23 May 2016 - 11:00 AM

What happens when you try to open the BIOS?

You made a backup image when this computer had the previous motherboard, and then you installed the backed up image on the new hdd and the computer will not boot into Windows.  

The problem basically is you made an image of Windows while it is in the computer with the previous motherboard.  When Windows 7 is installed it looks to see what drivers are going to be needed at startup and these will be loaded at each startup.  When you put this image on the new hdd and then booted with the new motherboard Windows would immediately realize that the drivers used previously will not work with the new motherboard and will not boot.  If Windows would boot at all you might get away with using sysprep.exe to generalize the hdd.  This would allow the operating system find the needed drivers to use for the startup.  But if you can't boot into Windows you will probably need to reinstall Windows.

You new motherboard should have come with a CD which contains the chipset driver and other drivers for that motherboard.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users