Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Restore Disc

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ibm8999

ibm8999

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 PM

Posted 18 May 2016 - 03:57 PM

Hi

I've got a Toshiba laptop, Windows 7, T5870 Core 2 Duo. Can I upgrade from W7 to W10 using a 64bit version of W10? The current W7 installed is 32bit.

Second question. Does the recovery partition get updated with Updates as well as the Windows folder?

The reason I ask is that Toshiba put software on the hdd when new that allows a recovery disc to be created. It would be nice to think that if I made a recovery disc now that it would include all updates released since the computer was new...........

John

Edited by hamluis, 19 May 2016 - 12:31 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Win 10 Discussion - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,291 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 PM

Posted 18 May 2016 - 04:03 PM

Yes, you can use 64bit and no it does not update the recovery partition. If you selected to do a factory reset you would have Windows 7 after the reset finished.

#3 ibm8999

ibm8999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 PM

Posted 18 May 2016 - 04:16 PM

Thanks JohnC.

If I download a Windows 7 ISO (God help me, with my internet connection speed) is it straightforward to slipstream updates into it?

John

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,291 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:40 PM

Posted 18 May 2016 - 04:30 PM

Reviewing your post again, you can't do a Windows 10 64bit upgrade on a 32bit system. You would need to do a clean install of Windows 10 64bit.

It is not very straightforward but you would need to mount the Windows 7 iso and then add the rollup update that Microsoft just released. Or just download the rollup update and after installing WIndows 7 run the update to bring it up to April 2016

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/windowsitpro/2016/05/17/simplifying-updates-for-windows-7-and-8-1/

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd744559(v=ws.10).aspx

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users