Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Uninstalling Programs on External Hard Drive (Win 10), Then Re-Use

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 wangson

wangson

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:15 AM

Posted 18 May 2016 - 03:15 PM

I had a working notebook until I installed a video driver causing my Win 10 to have black screen with no cursor. I tried working blind to get my computer working but no success.

So in the end I bought an external hard drive enclosure. What I am going to do is take out my notebook's hard drive and put in the enclosure and try to retrieve my files.  

Now here's my question: while my hard drive is in the enclosure, is there anyway to uninstall the driver software (maybe a uninstall software or just simply delete the driver folder in the c:/programs folder), and then re-put the hard drive from enclosure into my notebook and run it like normally (that way I don't have to re-install windows)?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,417 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 AM

Posted 18 May 2016 - 04:06 PM

You can use AutoRuns in offline mode to disable any video driver or Service by unchecking the box next to the entry.

http://www.howtogeek.com/school/sysinternals-pro/lesson6/all/

See the heading

Analyze an Offline System (As in Hooking Up a Hard Drive to Another PC)

Edited by JohnC_21, 18 May 2016 - 04:06 PM.

#3 wangson

wangson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2016 - 05:05 PM

You can use AutoRuns in offline mode to disable any video driver or Service by unchecking the box next to the entry.

http://www.howtogeek.com/school/sysinternals-pro/lesson6/all/

See the heading

Analyze an Offline System (As in Hooking Up a Hard Drive to Another PC)

So hook up the enclosure, run Autoruns, disable the video drivers, save the settings, then re-put the hard drive into notebook and hope it works again?

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,417 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2016 - 05:17 PM

Yes, If it works then you can uninstall the video driver normally and if the items you unchecked are still in Autoruns you can remove them by highlighting and pressing the red X.

#5 wangson

wangson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2016 - 10:45 PM

Yes, If it works then you can uninstall the video driver normally and if the items you unchecked are still in Autoruns you can remove them by highlighting and pressing the red X.

I tried Autoruns, But I can't seem to access my external hard drive. Even if I select System Root and User Profile as the external hard drive, The search results are still my main computer.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,417 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2016 - 07:10 AM

For System Root you browsed to X:\Windows where X is the letter of your external drive? And for profile X:\Users\<your name>? If you did that then I am not sure what the issue is. 

#7 wangson

wangson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 30 May 2016 - 08:20 PM

Thanks your for help guys. Unfortunately, in the end I just re-installed Windows.

SOLVED.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users