Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 ISO

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ibm8999

ibm8999

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 PM

Posted 18 May 2016 - 02:48 PM

Hi

I downloaded a Windows 10 ISO file from Microsoft.

I went to the folder where I saved it and found this file name:

Win10_1511_1_English_x32.iso.part

It is not recognised by imgburn.

I deleted the .part but then I wondered that before I went ahead to burn it, am I doing the right thing here?

File type is PART FILE

John

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 PM

Posted 18 May 2016 - 02:49 PM

The download was stopped before it completed. This file is not complete, hence the reason that it is not recognized.

You need a complete ISO image.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,989 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 PM

Posted 18 May 2016 - 02:56 PM

Just to reinforce what Rocky mentioned, any file you find with a .part extension is a partial (hence, part) download that didn't complete (or that's in the process of downloading at the moment).  You can catch part files "in action" during the period where a large download is in progress.  As soon as it successfully completes the .part extension is removed.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#4 ibm8999

ibm8999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2016 - 02:56 PM

Thanks for the prompt reply.

I am a little disappointed as it took 5hrs to download...........

Someone once said 'I'm going outside - I shall be sometime'

John

#5 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,989 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2016 - 03:58 PM

John,

Something was very wrong then, in one way or another.  The ISO shouldn't take nearly that long to download unless you're on dial-up.

Brian

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,421 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2016 - 04:00 PM

I would use a download manager with your browser. It the download stops for some reason you can continue where the file download stopped.

#7 ibm8999

ibm8999
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2016 - 05:26 PM

OK.

Believe it or not, I am on broadband but not that you'd notice!

My router synch speed is approx 2Mb/s with a following wind, (copper wire to the exchange - very antique).

The file was about 3.5GB if I remember and it was this afternoon when I downloaded. This time does not surprise me much. If only I could magic up some fibre....

I use Firefox and there is a download manager? an addon called video downloadhelper, I don't know if this is what you mean.

Perhaps you could suggest a download manager?

John

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,421 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2016 - 05:33 PM

I use Download them All. I use this but I am not sure it will pick up the Windows 10 iso download using the Media Creation Tool. If you use the direct iso download it will work.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench

#9 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 PM

Posted 19 May 2016 - 05:34 AM

OK.

Believe it or not, I am on broadband but not that you'd notice!

My router synch speed is approx 2Mb/s with a following wind, (copper wire to the exchange - very antique).

The file was about 3.5GB if I remember and it was this afternoon when I downloaded. This time does not surprise me much. If only I could magic up some fibre....

I use Firefox and there is a download manager? an addon called video downloadhelper, I don't know if this is what you mean.

Perhaps you could suggest a download manager?

John

Well man, that ain't broadband, not even close. Broadband here in the United States is defined as 25 mbps, and you ain't even close.  https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20160122/05203433402/senators-whine-about-fccs-25-mbps-broadband-standard-insist-nobody-needs-that-much-bandwidth.shtml

But even at your antique speed, a Windows 10 ISO should only take about 4 to 5 hours so I think that you should try again.

Good luck.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users