Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Limited Time Offer, Google Drive on Linux with Insync Plus Client!

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,015 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:09 AM

Posted 18 May 2016 - 01:49 PM

As described in Topic name, this is for those who uses Google Drive on Windows & wants to access these files on Linux! :thumbsup:

Insync is an unofficial Google Drive client available for Linux, Window and Mac. The application is not free (well, except for the next 51 hours): it costs $25 per Google account (one-time fee), along with plans for 3 Google accounts and business.

Actually the time is running less, just ran across the article, just over 18 hours remaining. Follow the simple instructions closely, a folder bearing your @gmail.com will be in your home folder. Have had this in the past, during a similar offer, normally this is a paid (Pro) app that costs $25, and can be used to sync up to three Google accounts. You'll be downloading a .deb file, which has to be installed before the process begins, and will have to give Insync permission to allow access to the account(s). 

Mine's syncing right now! :)

http://www.webupd8.org/2016/05/limited-time-offer-to-get-insync-pro.html

Tine is running short, so please act fast if wanted! :)

Good Luck with Insync Plus!

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Guest_hollowface_*

Guest_hollowface_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 22 May 2016 - 07:18 PM

I don't use Google Drive, but lots of people do. Thanks for letting us all know. :)

#3 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• Topic Starter

• BC Advisor
  • 7,015 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2016 - 04:06 AM

hollowface, you're welcome! :)

The cool thing I learned after installing the client (was disappointed at first because only on one PC), the Google account only needed to be activated on the first PC. On any more, all one has to do is install the Insync client, which is a downloaded .deb file. Glad that I found this out, I commented in the article in regards to this, and a friendly assistant of the project in Terence Pua advised me what to do to install on other computers. 

She also stated that an option for OneDrive (yes I know unpopular with many of the Linux crowd) will be added 'in the future'. While I could care less about W10, there is no Microsoft 'Special Forces',or 'SWAT' squad. While they do actively look for items of illegal nature & these will be removed & possibly be handed over to law enforcement, Google does the same. There are some who uploads files for downloading & a warning will appear that the file is inaccessible, a violation of Google's Terms of Service, or copyright infringement. So Microsoft is not the only one looking for illegal files that to folks like us, appears to be legit. 

What likely blows their cover, is not simply storing the files, rather providing links for download, if many are downloading the file, Microsoft & Google will also get a sample & see what it's about. If illegal, the account holder may or may not be given notice, and may be closed for violating the TOS. Neither site is designed nor meant to be for wide open Web hosting (or the case with the Free ones), there's other sites for cloud storage where the files will be safer, that are paid for, according to space needed. 

If one expects leniency from Microsoft or Google, one must cough up some cash for upscale plans, whether or not these are used in it's fullest, then may consider keeping the account open. They're like any other business, cannot survive off of charity accounts. Which is why I don't abuse the privilege, have never linked downloads from either, also wish to keep my Drive folder names confidential. :)

The free account works across all of your PCs. You don't need to re-redeem it on the 2nd PC. Just install Insync and login with the same gmail account and you should be good to go.

OneDrive is something we will be adding in the future.

That was great of her to respond to meet my need, and above the call of duty, considering the service is being licensed. :)

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users