Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

i really want to do this.

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 Sabastiondoggie

Sabastiondoggie

• Members
  • 239 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:43 AM

Posted 18 May 2016 - 12:36 PM

Several question if you please

1.  I really want to put linux mint on both of my xp machines ones a compaq and the other is a dell and i really need a iso burn prorgam so i can make bootable disc  anyone have anyone suggestions where to get one without having to going CNET to getting one so i dont have to fight with all those malware and adware contained files?

2.  and if anyone of you Linus users play games on emus and roms if so can you recommend a site that anyone successfully donwloaded and used linus based ps 2, psp and ps programs?  thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,883 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 PM

Posted 18 May 2016 - 12:54 PM

anyone have anyone suggestions where to get one

I recommend freeisoburner. That's what I used to use before I started using Linux.

You can find a link to the site and instructions on how to use it here:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/527392/with-xp-ending-what-are-your-alternatives/

#3 Sabastiondoggie

Sabastiondoggie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 239 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2016 - 01:26 PM

thank you sir. and one last ? the linux internal link you directed me and im grateful would that be the cinnimon desktop/os.  i found about that from another link suggested to me from another awesome user/employee(?) bleeping butterfly they was most awseome when my vista decided to die.

Edited by Sabastiondoggie, 18 May 2016 - 01:35 PM.

#4 Naught McNoone

Naught McNoone

• Members
  • 308 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2016 - 02:11 PM

I can also suggest http://infrarecorder.org/.

It an open source CD/DVD burner.

Cheers!

Naught.

#5 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,883 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2016 - 02:28 PM

thank you sir. and one last ? the linux internal link you directed me and im grateful would that be the cinnimon desktop/os.

You're welcome. Here's a link to download Mint. The Cinnamon desktop version (with codecs) is at the top of the list.

https://www.linuxmint.com/download.php

I would go for 64 bit if the computer has 4GiB of RAM or more; otherwise choose 32 bit.

Edited by Al1000, 18 May 2016 - 02:30 PM.

#6 Sabastiondoggie

Sabastiondoggie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 239 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2016 - 04:02 PM

so now that i have it on my compaq xp or ex xp...lol   your a about to be my new friend...lol.   i was wondering does linux mint has to be booted from the dvd i made each time i shut down or can it be download to the hard drive and if so how please.  and can it run google or google chrome cause i love me some google.  and as im writing the ? i looked over and see on the desk stop its got a icon that says install linux mint did i just answer one of my questions?...lol

#7 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,883 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2016 - 04:40 PM

You have to boot from the DVD each time until you install it. Yes, you install it by clicking on that desktop icon and following the prompts. It's easier and quicker to install than XP is.

You will find options to both wipe the hard drive and install Mint, or to install Mint "alongside" Windows which means you'll have a dual-boot system where you would choose to boot into Mint or XP from a boot menu, with Mint being the default choice. If you go for the dual boot system, installation will probably take longer as the installer will more than likely have to shrink your Windows partition.

Once Mint is installed, you can easily install Google Chrome.

Edited by Al1000, 18 May 2016 - 04:47 PM.

#8 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,883 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2016 - 04:43 PM

2. and if anyone of you Linus users play games on emus and roms if so can you recommend a site that anyone successfully donwloaded and used linus based ps 2, psp and ps programs? thanks!

I'm not much of a gamer. I play Command and Conquer Red Alert 2 on XP a few times a year, and that's about it.

You will find tons of games in Mint's software centre though, and installing them is just a matter of clicking "install." :)

#9 Sabastiondoggie

Sabastiondoggie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 239 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2016 - 05:01 PM

me and my curiosity..i clicked  on the install icon and let it run and of coure i picked fresh install without xp  so i wouldnt boot i placed the cd back in its place changed the boot sequence and all i have now is a blinking - darn it!

#10 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,415 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 PM

Posted 18 May 2016 - 05:22 PM

2.  and if anyone of you Linus users play games on emus and roms if so can you recommend a site that anyone successfully donwloaded and used linus based ps 2, psp and ps programs?  thanks!

I think what you would need is an emulator How to Play Your PSP Games in Ubuntu 14.04/14.10 | UbuntuHandbook

#11 Sabastiondoggie

Sabastiondoggie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 239 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2016 - 05:28 PM

mr. nick i have emulators all 3 on my emachine windows 7  since ill be using my xp to run only psp and ps cause ps2 wont on nothing that old unless that on heck of a machine.  i just didnt want to us my emachines resorcese to play my games i rather use that energy for my game client games...lol.  if im making sense?

#12 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,415 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 PM

Posted 18 May 2016 - 05:44 PM

You have a Windows 7 machine? In that case you do not need a 3rd party ISO burner, Windows will do it for you.

How to burn ISO image using Windows Burn Disk Image.

Notice:  This applies only to Windows 7 and Windows 8, earlier versions do not have this.

1.  Place a blank CD or DVD in the tray of your optical drive and close the tray.

2.  After you have downloaded the ISO image you want to burn right click on the Start orb, then choose Windows Explorer.

3.  When Explorer opens click on Downloads in the left pane.  Scroll down till you find the ISO file you want and double click on it.  Click on Burn Disk Image.

4.  In the image below you will see Disk burner:, this should be set to the optical drive you want to use.  Click on Verify disc after burning if you want to Windows to verity the disc image after burn.  Click on burn.

burndiskimage1_zpsb502b181.png

5.  In the image below you can see that the green progress bar, when the image is finished burning the bar will be filled.

burndiskimage2_zps17a9d6ff.png

6.  After the image has completed being burned click on Close.

#13 Sabastiondoggie

Sabastiondoggie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 239 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2016 - 06:01 PM

looks like im gonna need to take out a loan to buy a crap full of dvds cause i have a ton of rom files from emuparadise for all my emulators ive been busy and like ive said i love to game!

by the way i got my linux desktop going again ii wont click on nothing unless somebody tells me it ok....lol   for real so friend me if yall need to!

Edited by Sabastiondoggie, 18 May 2016 - 06:37 PM.

#14 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,007 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2016 - 06:31 PM

by the way i got my linux desktop going again ii wont click on nothing unless somebody tells me it ok....lol   for real so friend me if yall need to!

Sounds like you Erased XP?

Would be good to know what kind of hardware you have on that Compaq.

cpu

Hard Drive Capacity

and RAM if possible.

If you want, you can type this command into the "Linux Terminal" like CMD in Windows.  It will give you the Specifications of your pc that you can Copy Paste into a Post here.  

To open Terminal, click on the Menu, and start typing Terminal and you will see the Terminal come up, click on it to open it.  It will look like a little black box like in Windows.

If you downloaded Mint Cinnamon, Copy Paste this into the Terminal and push Enter.  Remember to Copy Paste it, because if you get any of it wrong it won't work.  There is a space after i, and that is a Capitol F:

inxi -Fx

Then you can use Ctrl + a to Select All, Right Click Copy, then Right Click Paste into your Post. 

Or, highlight the text with the cursor, Right Click Copy, then Right Click Paste into your Post. 

Edited by pcpunk, 18 May 2016 - 06:34 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#15 Sabastiondoggie

Sabastiondoggie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 239 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2016 - 08:13 PM

im not on a a machine with linus on it but i can get all the info for you its a compaq persario   intel celeron cpu 2.53 ghz  504 mb of ram 33.1 gigs of ram yeah tiny.

but xp is still on it im sitting here wondering if i should try this again,  looks like  re install file was still on the hard drive despite i clicked remove xp and install linux.  and it told me it was gonna format that drive...lol  i guess not.  and i see files for linux on my hard drive but linux wont boot it goes staight to xp now i made no changes sent the re install recovery.

Edited by Sabastiondoggie, 18 May 2016 - 08:17 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users