Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 update icon will not go away

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 fred93

fred93

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:24 AM

Posted 18 May 2016 - 12:25 PM

The update icon that normally shows up on the "shut down" button whenever there is new updates (my pc has always been set on "automatic updates") has been staying on for the last few days. At first I thought that I would the message that says "don't turn off your computer there are 5 updates that need to be installed"---but that has not happened. The icon is always there!

I checked online for some info about this problem and I did a couple of things that were recommended by Microsoft ie; downloaded Microsoft's troubleshooting pack cabinet--which told me that troubleshooting was unable to automatically fix all of this issues found--troubleshooting did say that the error was 0x80070057(2016-05-18-T-11_01_34A)--I then looked for rec updates and found one which I installed (Microsoft Framework  4.6.1  it installed okay)

The computer seems to be working okay but I am concerned that with this problem I may not be getting updates like I should.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Attached Files

Edited by hamluis, 18 May 2016 - 03:05 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 kbp80

kbp80

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:24 PM

Posted 18 May 2016 - 11:36 PM

Hi fred93,

You could try the following from the Microsoft support forums: http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/insider_wintp-insider_update/windows-update-error-0x80070057-windows-10-tp-9926/34cc0917-f49b-4f1d-b351-54bdc6942a71

#3 fred93

fred93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2016 - 09:38 PM

Thanks for your suggestion---however, last night when I shut down the pc in question a message stating that 1-5 updates was being installed. Then the next day when I started the pc the icon was gone! I did nothing to make this happen so I wonder if it will pop up again. Guess I'll have to wait and see. I hate it when things fix themselves. 

Thanks again for your help.

#4 fred93

fred93
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 159 posts
  •  

Posted 26 May 2016 - 04:34 PM

Well folks--Microsoft fixed my problem! Several days after my last post while I was working on some documents in my pc all of a sudden windows 10 started to download. I was afraid to stop it so now I have windows 10 on my pc. No more Windows 7 update icon will not go away. Thanks loads MS! Not really the way I wanted to go.

Edited by fred93, 26 May 2016 - 04:35 PM.

#5 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 1,022 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:24 AM

Posted 26 May 2016 - 04:58 PM

You can always revert back, you have that option.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users