Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

ByteFence antimalware

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 1dunn0

1dunn0

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 AM

Posted 18 May 2016 - 09:05 AM

Hello smart people,

I have recently installed this weird software that looks very similar to Malwarebytes. I tried scanning my Windows 10 PC and I got the following results(screenshot uploaded below) after which i scanned the PC with Avast as well as MalwareBytes anti-malware. Here is a screenshot of the results:

byte_fence.jpg

After I saw it detect Farbar scanner as a risky software, I then decided to upload the installer into Virus Total. Here are the results:

zasecheno.jpg

I also found some more information about the program on this blog:

Byte-Fence Redirect Description

So, lets get to the question. Is this software legitimate and should someone purchase it or not?

Thanks in advance,

Vincent

Edited by 1dunn0, 18 May 2016 - 09:06 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 PM

Posted 18 May 2016 - 09:07 AM

Hi 1dunn0 :)

ByteFence is a Malwarebytes copycat that I've seen pushed on system via bundled installers. I would say that it's far from being "legitimate" (looks more like a scam to me) and I would uninstall it. You should just use the original and good Malwarebytes Anti-Malware instead ;)

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#3 Will5200

Will5200

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 PM

Posted 18 May 2016 - 09:16 AM

Came across this post:

https://forums.malwarebytes.org/topic/179428-bytefence-protection-available-with-malwarebytes-anti-malware-premium/

They also reference VirusTotal.

#4 1dunn0

1dunn0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2016 - 09:17 AM

Thanks. Removing it now...

#5 Aura

Aura

Bleepin' Special Ops

• Malware Response Team
  • 19,697 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2016 - 09:18 AM

No problem, you're welcome :)

animinionsmalltext.gif
unite_blue.png
Security Administrator | Sysnative Windows Update Senior Analyst | Malware Hunter | @SecurityAura
My timezone UTC-05:00 (East. Coast). If I didn't reply to you within 48 hours, please send me a PM.

#6 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,573 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2016 - 09:25 AM

Hello Vincent.

The 2 items found in the first image are good tools.. FRST and Farbar Service Scanner. That scanner doesn.t know them and hence the flag.

Now anything that behaves like Ramnit you want to remove..

As the other article claims about tracking cookies and other issues. I would remove it completely.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 1dunn0

1dunn0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2016 - 09:45 AM

thanks!

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,089 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2016 - 09:18 PM

FYI: ChicaLogic PC-Shield Pro is a rebranded Malwarebytes Anti-Malware 1.75 version with a modified look. It is powered by Malwarebytes Technology and can be used with your existing Malwarebytes license.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#9 1dunn0

1dunn0
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2016 - 03:04 AM

Ok, i will make sure i check it out. Regards.

#10 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,089 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2016 - 05:07 AM

Good luck.

#11 GillyStone

GillyStone

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:33 AM

Posted 28 July 2016 - 08:14 AM

I wouldn't call it MAlwarebyte's copycat, i've been using ByteFence for a while and am happy with the results. Does detect most of the threats and successfully removes them. Moreover, they have continuous promotions and sales which gives me that gap to save a bit on my AVs. Might be not the best option, but works great for basic user needs

#12 TwinHeadedEagle

TwinHeadedEagle

• Security Colleague
  • 352 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 PM

Posted 11 August 2016 - 03:08 AM

I wouldn't call it MAlwarebyte's copycat, i've been using ByteFence for a while and am happy with the results. Does detect most of the threats and successfully removes them. Moreover, they have continuous promotions and sales which gives me that gap to save a bit on my AVs. Might be not the best option, but works great for basic user needs

Using the software pushed together with other malware is not something I recommend.

#13 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 52,089 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2016 - 04:14 AM

Using the software pushed together with other malware is not something I recommend.

+1

#14 bordertide

bordertide

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:33 PM

Posted 15 September 2016 - 08:58 AM

Byte Fence is a scam operated by Byte Technologies of a mail drop address in Delaware and not to be confused with Byte Technological the acclaimed and highly respected worldwide corporation, who are also angry at the crooks running Byte fence. Byte fence is a Trojan carrier, it arrives hidden inside everyday downloads and invites you to purchase, when you decline the 'fun' starts. It is a devil piece of malware that slowly but surely will slow your system to a crawl and eventual blue screen in some cases. The Delaware police are aware of this and have an online complaints form. If you do get stung by Byte fence or know of someone who has then contact the police in Delaware.

#15 TroyTurton

TroyTurton

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:33 PM

Posted 12 December 2016 - 03:44 PM

Who needs continuous promotions and sales? I got the paid version of Malwarebytes like 10 years ago. I am now on my 5th computer since then. And my original purchase ID & pass have worked on every one of them. I paid what, like $20, 10 years ago for Malwarebytes & I still have the piad, updating version of it? Not a better deal in the world, then buying Malwarebytes, Ccleaner is probably the next best investment to Malwarebytes. Been using that for at least 7 or 8 years now too :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users