Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft shifts Windows 7 and 8.1 fixes to 'rollup' bundles

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,301 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 PM

Posted 18 May 2016 - 08:26 AM

Microsoft says it will simplify the update process for older versions of Windows by switching to once-a-month "rollup" bundles.

Redmond says that all PCs running Windows 7 SP1 and Windows 8.1, and servers running Windows Server 2008, Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1, and Windows Server 2012 will begin getting the monthly updates.

"Each month, we will release a single update containing all of the non-security fixes for that month,"said Microsoft.

"We are making this change – shifting to rollup updates, to improve the reliability and quality of our updates."

The rollup policy will not apply to security updates, which will be released as monthly Patch Tuesday bundles or individually as out-of-band releases if necessary to avoid active zero-day exploits.

Microsoft also says that for Windows 7 SP1, it will now begin distributing a single cumulative rollup update that contains all patches and updates for the OS up to April 2016. The rollup can be downloaded on its own or injected into a disk image for new installations.

Article

On Important updates, it's one or none. So I guess I would be downloading updates like this one in order to get one I needed.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3006137

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,126 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 PM

Posted 18 May 2016 - 12:07 PM

Well...who needs "non-security fixes"?

Everyone needs the security updates...which is same as it ever was.

This "news" is far from beneficial to users, IMO.

#3 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,048 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 PM

Posted 20 May 2016 - 02:00 PM

Post #1, "...KB3006137..." it might be even worse than that. What if KB3035583 or KB3123862 get included within the rollouts, there are updates like KB3006137 that one avoids because they're buggy and there are updates like KB3035583 which one avoids because of what they're deliberately designed to do. Fortunately as far as non-security fixes go most of them are, as hamluis says, relatively un-necessary. As long a one can download security fixes for fixing real problems without getting other updates bundled then things are ok.

Edited by rp88, 20 May 2016 - 02:01 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#4 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:13 PM

Posted 24 May 2016 - 09:38 PM

I think you're reading in to this to much...
Just let Windows do its thing and you do yours.
No use worrying about factors beyond your control.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users