Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Service Pack 2..Well...Not Really

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 PM

Posted 18 May 2016 - 07:56 AM

Saw this this morning....Simplifying updates for Windows 7 and 8.1 | Windows for IT Pros

QUOTE a bit:

We’re happy to announce today that we’re making available a new convenience rollup for Windows 7 SP1 that will help.  This convenience rollup package, available to download from http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Search.aspx?q=3125574, contains all the security and non-security fixes released since the release of Windows 7 SP1 that are suitable for general distribution, up through April 2016.  Install this one update, and then you only need new updates released after April 2016.

And since this update can be injected into Windows 7 SP1 media, it’s fully supported to mount a Windows 7 SP1 image (WIM file), then inject this update into it.  See https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd744559(v=ws.10).aspx for the details of how to do this.

This convenience update is completely optional; it doesn’t have to be installed and won’t even be offered via Windows Update – you can choose whether or not you want to use it.

To apply this update, you must install the April 2015 servicing stack update for Windows 7 (KB3020369).  You can read more about the Convenience rollup update for Windows 7 SP1 here.

We hope that you find this convenience rollup package useful.  This same convenience rollup also applies to Windows Server 2008 R2.

An article with more details....Windows 7 now has a Service Pack 2 (but don’t call it that) | Ars Technica

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 AM

Posted 18 May 2016 - 07:57 AM

It's actually a nice way to make sure that newly installed computers are quickly up to date without the hassle that is Windows Update. Good for them.

#3 buddy215

buddy215
  • Topic Starter

• 13,516 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2016 - 11:21 AM

If anyone installs this....let us know if it includes all of the Get Win 10 crapola and spyware. Okay....I'm a bit skeptical.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 saw101

saw101

• Members
  • 477 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:07 PM

Posted 18 May 2016 - 09:18 PM

Well, according to poster 'Sonic' in a reply to the following article regarding this unofficial SP2 for Win 7, here: http://betanews.com/2016/05/17/windows-7-convenience-rollup/    Reply copied/pasted below.

Sonik BinBin2000 a day ago

I've installed in a VM tonight. It doesn't contain any garbage updates like the telemetry ones and GWX. It's mostly security updates and missing around 35 recommended updates. I'm actually pleasantly surprised as I thought MS would bundle those in.
The main ones missing are:
KB2952664
KB3021917
KB3035583
KB3068708
Kb3075249
Kb3080149
KB3123862
The only one that it does install is one of the windows update client updates which does include the wu.upgrade.ps.dll file. This doesn't seem to do anything without GWX installed though.

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

#5 buddy215

buddy215
  • Topic Starter

• 13,516 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2016 - 10:09 AM

Thank you saw101....

#6 Niweg

Niweg

• Members
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 AM

Posted 19 May 2016 - 01:54 PM

I ran it yesterday on a system that had been updated last on May 5.  It ran for 20 min. and worked just fine.  However be aware that it will ONLY work if you use IE11 under Windows 7 (I haven't tried it with 8 yet).  Also be aware that of the 3 items it lists, the first one is only for the 32 bit version.  The bottom one in the list is what you need if you're going to install it on a 64 bit system.  When I ran the 32 bit version on a 64 bit laptop, it churned for 37 min. and then put out a message saying it was incompatible with my system.  Now wouldn't you think MS would check compatibility before scanning your whole C: drive?   :flame:

Make regular full system backups or you'll be sorry sooner or later.

#7 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 1,092 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 AM

Posted 19 May 2016 - 05:10 PM

Well, I like many others,  are very leery of MS and updates. Yesterday I had 3 optional updates available none of which addressed any security patches. Hence will not download.

However, I can see the positive side as well, as noted in prior responses.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users