Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Advice on Cooling Fan

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Achaemenid

Achaemenid

• Members
  • 416 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 AM

Posted 18 May 2016 - 06:33 AM

I have a wide screen sony vaio laptop with 500 GB HDD and 6 GB RAM

It gets hot. When the weather is also hot I want an extra cooling fan underneath to avoid any damage.

The existing fan is on the left side

The HDD and CPU are, if memory serves, in the forward center.

The fans available vary between one large fan in the center or two smaller fans on right and left.

Some fan structures raise the entire body of the laptop about 1/2 inch above the surface.

I would like to know if one fan or two are preferable and if if raising the laptop body is desirable in a cooling fan.

any constructive comments appreciated.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:25 PM

Posted 18 May 2016 - 01:24 PM

Any air-flow is preferred to none.

Optimally one would open the laptop to clear away dust build-up from fan, heatsink and vents: Should make for many more years of use. Removing the heat from outside is no match for dissipating from within.

I use the $10 fans from K-Mart that have helped when gaming on my laptops. They have the dual side-by-side fans and seem to offer some cooling.

#3 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,478 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2016 - 01:35 PM

Along with the good advice given previously, I use a usb connected external cooling assembly -- whether one giant fan or two good-sized fans -- all are good.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

#4 Achaemenid

Achaemenid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 416 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2016 - 01:55 PM

Optimally one would open the laptop to clear away dust build-up from fan, heatsink and vents: Should make for many more years of use. Removing the heat from outside is no match for dissipating from within.

I use the $10 fans from K-Mart that have helped when gaming on my laptops. They have the dual side-by-side fans and seem to offer some cooling.

I do this about every 6 months. Remarkably not that much dust builds up in that time.

#5 Achaemenid

Achaemenid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 416 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2016 - 01:59 PM

Along with the good advice given previously, I use a usb connected external cooling assembly -- whether one giant fan or two good-sized fans -- all are good.

Oker seems to be well-represented brand where I am.

So I will go with the 2 fan device.  Common sense suggests that would distribute the cooling.

I do this about every 6 months. Remarkably not that much dust builds up in that time.

My response is completely messed up. I don't know how to use multiquote.

Edited by Achaemenid, 18 May 2016 - 01:58 PM.

#6 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2016 - 11:04 PM

Optimally one would open the laptop to clear away dust build-up ..

Glad to hear it. I usually get around to it about once a couple years. Lazy and not much going on (build-up) as observed.

Why is it getting hot? Are those models known to produce heat in excess? Is there a dual-graphics? Sold one (VAIO) not long ago that had on-board and dedicated graphics. If the proper drivers are not installed: There was an/will be an increase in temps and hardware usage. Also same results on ThinkPad laptops (also more brands), desktops and other devices that run more than one GPU.

Could that the thermal compound on CPU/GPU be broken or not re-applied correctly?

What model is it and what OS is running?

#7 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,478 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2016 - 11:22 PM

"...My response is completely messed up. I don't know how to use multiquote..."  Not to worry!  I had the same problem awhile!  After you click on quote, go to just underneath the quoted box, that area is your reply area.  On multi-quotes, it's a little trickier.  One has to, for each quoted box, type a reply just underneath said quoted box without actually typing into the next quoted box below it.  Sorry I'm not explaining it very well!  While I often click the single quote, I rarely click on multi-quote.

Edited by RolandJS, 19 May 2016 - 03:04 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

"I heard Spock finally got colander!"  "I believe the word is Kolinahr."  "Oh."

#8 Achaemenid

Achaemenid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 416 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2016 - 10:01 AM

Optimally one would open the laptop to clear away dust build-up ..

Glad to hear it. I usually get around to it about once a couple years. Lazy and not much going on (build-up) as observed.

Why is it getting hot? Are those models known to produce heat in excess? Is there a dual-graphics? Sold one (VAIO) not long ago that had on-board and dedicated graphics. If the proper drivers are not installed: There was an/will be an increase in temps and hardware usage. Also same results on ThinkPad laptops (also more brands), desktops and other devices that run more than one GPU.

Could that the thermal compound on CPU/GPU be broken or not re-applied correctly?

What model is it and what OS is running?

I had the thermal compound replaced about 6 mo ago.

model sony vaio vpcf1390x if memory serves

I bought it specifically for video editing, but since they don't customize for that, had to get a gaming customized one.

dual boot win 7 64 pro, and Linux Mint 17

there are no problems yet but since summer is coming I want to take precautions

#9 bludgard

bludgard

• Members
  • 934 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2016 - 02:44 PM

Discreet graphics will heat em up. Not many options other that the external fan. Although discrete/dedicated graphics are the rage in laptops... I tend to gravitate towards the integrated graphics on them as they generally produce less heat and there is not that much improvement with discrete card in lappys: Just my opinion.

Been a while since holding a VAIO... is there access from bottom case to RAM or other hardware? Or does one have to totally disassemble the machine to perform upgrades? Reason I ask is opening doors on bottom casing in combination with the external fan can bring the temps down a bit more.

#10 Achaemenid

Achaemenid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 416 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2016 - 10:15 AM

Thanks for your response.

Discreet graphics will heat em up. Not many options other that the external fan. Although discrete/dedicated graphics are the rage in laptops... I tend to gravitate towards the integrated graphics on them as they generally produce less heat and there is not that much improvement with discrete card in lappys:

I have nVidia graphics. I don't know the difference between discrete and integrated graphics.

Been a while since holding a VAIO... is there access from bottom case to RAM or other hardware? Or does one have to totally disassemble the machine to perform upgrades? Reason I ask is opening doors on bottom casing in combination with the external fan can bring the temps down a bit more.

With the vaio you have to disassemble the entire back. Rather long process.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users