Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 10 Incredibly slow and cursor trouble

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 supersadie

supersadie

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:50 PM

Posted 18 May 2016 - 06:12 AM

Hope you can help as posted elsewhere and had no replies.

My laptop...

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Home, 64 bit
Processor: Intel® Celeron® CPU N2840 @ 2.16GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 55 Stepping 8
Processor Count: 2
RAM: 8075 Mb
Graphics Card: Intel® HD Graphics, -1984 Mb
Hard Drives: C: Total - 937753 MB, Free - 740058 MB;
Motherboard: Acer, Aspire E5-511
Antivirus: Windows Defender, Disabled

Is slow to respond in all programmes. I'm also getting wandering cursor trouble (I have a touch pad) which comes and goes, and tap to click switches itself off randomly although the system says it's on.

Can anyone help?

Defender is enabled and I use antimalwarebytes.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:50 PM

Posted 20 May 2016 - 04:42 AM

Let's try looking at these 2 sets of reports:

1)  Please run this report collecting tool (even though you may not be reporting BSOD's) so we can provide a complete analysis:  http://omgdebugging.com/bsod-inspector/
When done a Notepad document will open with the name of the file and it's location.
By default it'll be a .zip file located on your Desktop
Simply upload the .zip file with your next post and we'll move on from there.
If it doesn't work for you, then please try this:  http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/576314/blue-screen-of-death-bsod-posting-instructions-windows-10-81-8-7-vista/

2)  Please do the following:
- open Event Viewer (run eventvwr.msc from the "Run" dialog)
- expand the Custom Views category (left click on the > next to the words "Custom Views")
- right click on the "Administrative Events" heading
- select "Save all Events in Custom View as..."
- save the file as Admin.evtx
- zip up the file (right click on it, select "Send to", select "Compressed (zipped) folder")
- upload it with your next post (if it's too big, then upload it to a free file-hosting service and post a link here).

FYI - If we're looking for Event ID 41 errors (unexplained shutdowns), there's more info on that here:  http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2028504

While waiting for a reply, please monitor your temps with this free utility:  http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 supersadie

supersadie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 May 2016 - 02:36 PM

Thanks for your help. Of course, since posting, I've not had so many problems. But I've run the two diagnostics in the hope it explains something.

Hoping they're attached!

Attached Files

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2016 - 05:44 AM

The 2 biggest problems that I see in the Admin log are with your Realtek network controller and your Office 2016.

I would suggest uninstalling the Office 2016 stuff.  If you need this program, use your Microsoft account to sign in and download it again:  https://setup.office.com/home/getoffice?wa=wsignin1.0

As for the Realtek network controller, I would:

- download a fresh copy of the latest, compatible wired network controller driver from the Acer website

- uninstall the current wired network controller using Control Panel...Programs and Features

- if unable to uninstall it there, then uninstall if from the Network Adapters section of Device Manager (right click and select "uninstall"

- then install the freshly downloaded copy.

- monitor for further problems.

Your UEFI/BIOS (version V1.10) dates from 2015.  Please check at the manufacturer's website to see if there are any UEFI/BIOS updates available for your system.  This is just in case there has been a recent update.

Although you appear to have a reasonable number of Windows Update hotfixes for this version of your OS, please double check for any new Windows Updates.  It only takes one update to cause a problem, so it's essential that you have all of them.  The actual number is not important.  Rather it's important that you checked manually, installed any available updates, and didn't experience any errors when checking or updating.

Then we wait to see if this stuff has helped.......

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 supersadie

supersadie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2016 - 09:04 AM

Thanks for your reply.

Realtek always seems to cause problems so I might start there.

1 My BIOS is the latest version

2 Is the 'wired network controller' the same as 'LAN driver' - there are only two options for my laptop - one is the audio driver and the other is the LAN driver...

3 I've only just renewed Office 365. I don't know about 2016...

Many thanks for all your help.

Edited by supersadie, 24 May 2016 - 09:18 AM.

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 24 May 2016 - 12:23 PM

Yes, it's the LAN driver

Office things are messed up - uninstall all of it.

Then go back and download/install it again.

That should (hopefully) stop the problems with Office.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users