Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Desktop replacement advice

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 raff

raff

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 AM

Posted 18 May 2016 - 05:59 AM

Hi all I am looking to buy a desktop replacement laptop and have a variety of wants:

i3 or above processor

5500 Intel graphics or above

17.3 screen (MUST HAVE)

would like about 8Gb of RAM

back lit keyboard for typing in the dark

decent viewing screen in outdoors

I have no care on make or colour; as I will be using it near a power outlet most of the time battery life and weight aren't a factor,other than the screen size I am open to all ideas.

It will be primarily used for watching movies and documents but a little gaming and more power intensive applications would be used from time to time. The budget is about £550 with an absolute limit at £600.

I'd appreciate all advice and ideas.

Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 raff

raff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2016 - 04:12 AM

To add to this I think resolution should be 1920 x 1080 and I am not as set on the graphics. 

Also can anyone tell me, if I buy a laptop from the US what power considerations are there? DO I need to use a big clunky adapter type thing or can I just get a UK variant of the power adapter?

#3 raff

raff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2016 - 02:34 AM

Really hoping to get a little input here!! I've narrowed it down to these if anyone has nay opinions:

Toshiba SATELLITE L70-C-12R

Acer Aspire E5-773

AS far as I can see the ACER has reasonable specs but I have read they are poorly built, BUT with a difference of £100 to the Toshiba and £150 to the HP it is out in front in my calculations at the minute. They all seem to have good screens and the processors and graphics are all up there with the Toshiba having the best graphics (Nvidia 930m v Intel 520 on the other two) and the HP and Acer edging out with the processor they have the i5-6200U and the Toshiba has the i5-5200U).

Would be very grateful for a bit of input from anyone that owns any of these machines please.

#4 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 374 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2016 - 04:43 AM

One thing I like about a lot of HP laptops is that they make the "Maintenance & Service Guides" available for download - in your case here:-

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Pavilion-17-Notebook-PC-series/8499304/model/10148518/manuals

& these can be invaluable if you ever need to dismantle / repair or order parts for you machine (or want to see if you can upgrade anything).

Toshiba do not make this information readily available as far as I can tell, but there is a fair chance that the best you could do would be to find a YouTube video to give you a clue for dismantling.

I've never looked for this kind of stuff for an Acer bust suspect it may be hard to find.

#5 raff

raff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2016 - 08:05 AM

Thanks rqt, that is a good level of detail and I like the idea only one RAM slot is occupied leaving a bit of room to upgrade. From what I am reading the  i5-6200U has little advantage over the i5-5200U and with the big jump between the Intel 520 and the Nvidia 930m I am leaning more towards the Toshiba but the Acer looks like better bang for buck.

#6 raff

raff
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2016 - 08:20 AM

As there has been no interest I'll finish this thread by saying thanks to rqt for his/her help and state that I have decided to go for the Toshiba: 

The i5-5200U Processor isn't much worse than the i5-6200U Processor in the other two and in fact out performs on some tests. There is a reasonable step up on the graphics card with its dedicated memory so that help sway my opinion.

The Toshiba has a backlit keyboard and has had decent reviews on the sound with the SkullCandy influenced speakers, (although the Pavilion had B&O speakers which should be good), and since movies will be important good sound would be too, (well good sound being a relative term for a laptop). Just waiting to find out if the Toshiba is 1920 x 1080 or 1600 x 900 as there appears to be conflicting reports!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users