Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New PC need help!

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 JChatt

JChatt

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2016 - 04:22 AM

My current computer is rocking an old

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Processor

16GB of RAM

AMD HD 6850

To name some of the most notable specs of the pc, so as you can see iv had this computer running on 5 years now and while the CPU is still rocking it the graphics card just cant keep up with modern games anymore, im also into photo editing so a new pc really is in order. 

I have a maximum budget of $3000 AUD

I have roughly sourced parts and pricing from around my local computer stores and managed to come under budget at $2650

So to get to the point of this post iv gone with the current specs and considering prices as well so if anyone has an product reviews or other options for me to look at that would be fantastic!

Case  NZXT S340 Mid Tower Case

Power Supply Corsair RM650x

CPU i7 5820K

Graphics Card GTX1080

SSD Samsung 850 Pro 256GB

Motherboard MSI X99A SLI Plus

RAM Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB

CPU Cooler Corsair H105

Im not to fussed with the look of the case or cosmetic enhancements im just after a decent cheap mid-tower case, I know the GTX1080 isnt out yet but iv roughly calculated that it should come in at around $900 AUD. I might also hold off and wait for the new Broadwell-E to come out on the cpu side of things, 

But Id love to hear any feedback or suggestions on how to improve the build! 

Edited by JChatt, 18 May 2016 - 05:07 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,393 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 AM

Posted 18 May 2016 - 05:16 AM

Hi JC :welcome: to BC.

Re this PC

16GB of RAM

AMD HD 6850

Would you be interested in installing Linux on it? You could get many more years use out of it, and its a safer way to surf the net, You still get your new Windows PC and for $3000 you can get a monster of a machine, If you are interested start a post in the Linux & Unix section and we can show you how.

Regards

Nick

Edited by NickAu, 18 May 2016 - 05:17 AM.

#3 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 PM

Posted 18 May 2016 - 05:52 AM

You will also need an operating system, which will cost about $100 or so, unless you want to mess around with getting DirectX games to work on Linux with WINE.  If I were building a new system, I would go for a more modern Skylake-based system and not an LGA 2011 one.  If you have the money on hand, I suggest going for a full ATX case and not a mid ATX so you can have plenty of space to work in with room for many components.

3939.png

#4 JChatt

JChatt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2016 - 06:27 AM

You will also need an operating system, which will cost about $100 or so, unless you want to mess around with getting DirectX games to work on Linux with WINE.  If I were building a new system, I would go for a more modern Skylake-based system and not an LGA 2011 one.  If you have the money on hand, I suggest going for a full ATX case and not a mid ATX so you can have plenty of space to work in with room for many components.

Ah yes I forgot about the operating system, the only reason I was heading toward 2011 was for my photo editing, I shoot off a Nikon D800 and the file sizes become huge and take a considerable amount of time to process once Im finished with them on my current rig, I have looked at the skylake set up and im torn between the two, but with broadwell-e just around the corner Ill wait and see what the gain is sticking with 2011 over 1151.

Which full atx case would you recomend?

#5 JChatt

JChatt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2016 - 06:28 AM

Hi JC :welcome: to BC.

Re this PC

16GB of RAM

AMD HD 6850

Would you be interested in installing Linux on it? You could get many more years use out of it, and its a safer way to surf the net, You still get your new Windows PC and for $3000 you can get a monster of a machine, If you are interested start a post in the Linux & Unix section and we can show you how.

Regards

Nick

Thanks for the welcome Nick!

Id have to familiarize myself with Linux before I made a move like I dont have a whole lot of experience outside of windows

#6 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,393 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:48 AM

Posted 18 May 2016 - 06:33 AM

I understand, Once you get your new PC set up and running ( With Windows ) and you have some spare time, If you want to learn Linux on your old machine let us know.

#7 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:48 PM

Posted 19 May 2016 - 05:27 AM

Sitting back and waiting for the Broadwell-E to be released, then reassess as to whether or not the price premium for an LGA2011 part is worth it seems like a good idea.  That platform is aimed at enthusiasts and Intel prices it appropriately.

Cases are largely a style choice, so long as they have the ports you want and can hold your components.  Aluminum cases tend to be of higher quality with side vents or windows increasing the noise you hear from inside the case.  I prefer Lian-Li cases, they are pricey, but quality cases.  They are a bit understated though.  The case selection depends on what is available where you live.  Which store are you going to be purchasing from?

If you are curious about Linux, I really like Debian.  I find it more stable than Ubuntu.

3939.png

#8 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,439 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 PM

Posted 19 May 2016 - 06:25 AM

Romours say that Broadwell-E's price premium over i7-5820K is too high to justify small difference. To be seen. Other CPU's are too pricey anyway.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users