Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Transferring BSOD HDD to new SSD with new drives.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 araragi

araragi

• Members
  • 178 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 PM

Posted 18 May 2016 - 01:20 AM

My laptop has started to BSOD, and apparently has 4 kb of bad sectors but it still could be driver problem since WhoCrashed told me that I had to upgrade Intel graphics but Inte's update utility did not locate my graphics. CHKDSK C: /r won't fix the bad sectors no matter how times I run it. So I assumed it is physical damage.

I plan on building a custom built computer with new SSD and new everything (GPU, motherboard, CPU, RAM, Monitor, etc).

I will probably take out the HDD from laptop and run it in the new computer along with the SSD. From there I will use the disk provided by Crucial's SSD called Acronix True Image to clone the HDD to SSD. (297 GB in HDD; 500 GB SSD)

Will I experience any problems doing all of this? 

Do I have to uninstall before installing the new drivers? Or could I just leave it there?

I had someone in my local computer shop activate Windows about a year ago, so I don't have the disc or product key, but I checked and apparently my laptop's window is genuine.

this is unrelated but I also want to ask-- I heard some countries don't supply enough watts for PSU. I haven't checked my country's watts but my PSU is 650 W. Will I be fine? Also.. I'm not sure how to read the PSU switch.

Is "O" on and "-" off?

Edited by araragi, 18 May 2016 - 04:05 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,428 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:29 AM

Posted 18 May 2016 - 06:39 AM

Not clear from what you have posted...but you cannot remove a hard drive from an OEM (HP, Lenovo, etc.) laptop and then simply move it to a totally different system and expect Windows 7 to perform properly.  The drivers/settings/license for the laptop...belong solely to that system.  IMO, any attempt to simply move such to a different system violates the Terms of Agreement between the OEM manufacturer of said laptop as well as violating the terms of the license for the Windows install on the hard drive from the laptop.

From what I see when looking at your topic in the BSOD forum...the functional status of the laptop hard drive is questionable and any plan to use it as a boot drive...seems suspect.

Louis

Edited by hamluis, 18 May 2016 - 06:45 AM.

#3 araragi

araragi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 178 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2016 - 03:23 AM

My laptop had the hard drive replaced many times and Windows reinstalled the same amount of times by my local computer stores. I doubt it is still OEM? And I thought it only violates Windows if I keep it on two computers, but I am only planning on keeping Windows on the desktop.

I believe everything should be fine if I uninstall the laptop drives and install the new desktop drives. I heard that there is high chance of BSOD when faced with new drives but I think I can just go to safe mode in Network mode to uninstall the laptop drivers and install desktop drivers. Am I wrong?

If I cannot clone all the data, I heard I can at least transfer Windows 7? If I do only that, would I still experience driver problems?

Edited by araragi, 19 May 2016 - 06:46 AM.

#4 Stancestans

Stancestans

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 PM

Posted 19 May 2016 - 06:47 AM

My laptop had the hard drive replaced many times and Windows reinstalled the same amount of times by my local computer stores. I doubt it is still OEM?

If your local stores were using the OEM product key on the Certificate of Authenticity (COA) sticker/label at the bottom of the laptop to reinstall Windows, then it's still OEM no matter how many times Windows is reinstalled. If your laptop doesn't have such a sticker or label and you never bought a retail copy of Windows, then you're running an illegal/pirate copy of Windows on the laptop.

And I thought it only violates Windows if I keep it on two computers, but I am only planning on keeping Windows on the desktop.

An OEM license is not transferable to a different computer. It lives and dies with the computer for which it was issued.

I believe everything should be fine if I uninstall the laptop drives and install the new desktop drives. I heard that there is high chance of BSOD when faced with new drives but I think I can just go to safe mode in Network mode to uninstall the laptop drivers and install desktop drivers. Am I wrong?

No. Everything will not be fine. You need a new license for the desktop and you must perform a clean installation of Windows on it. When you install Windows, it profiles the hardware and also performs one-time low-level (kernel) configurations that you cannot initiate after its done. In other words, it's not only device drivers that need to be taken care of. System devices aka non-plug n play and their drivers are not removable nor are they installable via plug n play events.

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 AM

Posted 19 May 2016 - 09:50 AM

As for using Acronis to clone your hdd.  If your operating system has problems so will the cloned image you would create.

To take Louis's post a step further...  When you take a hdd with a Windows operating system on it and move it to be used in another computer there will be problems.  This is because there are identifiers which Windows recognizes from the chipset.  These identifiers are what ties the installation of Windows to that specific computer.  If you move this hdd to another computer it will see a different set of identifiers and may not even boot.  But as Stancestans pointed out this is a OEM computer, so the Windows operating system is tied to this computer.  Even if you were able to install this hdd in another computer and some how get it to work you would not be able to activate the operating system.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 araragi

araragi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 178 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2016 - 03:38 PM

OK, I understand now.

So instead I buy a hard drive, buy Windows 10 for the laptop. Then I will install the Windows 10 on the hard drive so I can temporary use my laptop. Then later I will  change to SSD on the Desktop, so I would use the new HDD in my desktop. I would want to get rid of Windows 10 and the drivers on the HDD. Is this OK?

Also, if I buy Windows 10, can I install it twice? Once on the temporary hard drive for the laptop, then deleting it from the temporary laptop and installing on new SSD for desktop?

Edited by araragi, 19 May 2016 - 04:35 PM.

#7 Stancestans

Stancestans

• Members
  • 68 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 PM

Posted 20 May 2016 - 02:10 AM

So instead I buy a hard drive, buy Windows 10 for the laptop. Then I will install the Windows 10 on the hard drive so I can temporary use my laptop.

Yes.

so I would use the new HDD in my desktop. I would want to get rid of Windows 10 and the drivers on the HDD. Is this OK?

You wanna move the new hdd of the laptop to the desktop? Why not buy two HDDs, one for the laptop and one for the desktop instead of using the laptop hdd in the desktop afterwards? You can keep both computers working, even if on different operating systems.

Also, if I buy Windows 10, can I install it twice? Once on the temporary hard drive for the laptop, then deleting it from the temporary laptop and installing on new SSD for desktop?

Yes.

Unless you intend to decommission the laptop and no longer have use for it, you can keep both computers operational. You could always install a free operating system on the laptop after you've transferred your Windows 10 license to the desktop. There are lots of free Linux flavours/distros to choose from.

What make and model is your laptop and what are its current specifications, especially RAM? Not all computers are compatible with Windows 10, so you may have the intention of installing Windows 10 on it temporarily only for it to be incompatible and/or unsupported. Some incompatibility cases are so bad that Windows 10 setup won't even start. Fortunately, you can freely download Windows 10 from Microsoft any time now and try installing and running it on the laptop to see how well it works before you actually buy and use a license on it.

Edited by Stancestans, 20 May 2016 - 02:15 AM.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 AM

Posted 20 May 2016 - 07:56 AM

Also, if I buy Windows 10, can I install it twice? 

Stancestan answered yes to this question, but that needs clarification.  You can only install a retail Windows operating system one time.  But you can remove it from one computer and install it on another.

Edited by dc3, 20 May 2016 - 07:56 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users