Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Monitor DVI No Signal After Previously Working

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 tazman656

tazman656

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 AM

Posted 17 May 2016 - 11:24 PM

Not really sure if this should go to external or internal hardware issues, but the main problem is the monitor not displaying so i'm putting it here.

Alright these are the specs...

Windows 10
i5 4690
gtx 970
Msi z97 gaming7 motherboard
Antec 620w psu
2 Asus VG248QE 24in monitors

This is a pc I built myself roughly a year ago and has ran fine with no issues, until now.

Backstory

I woke up Monday morning and found that my computer was off, even though I left it on the night before

When I turn it on it seems to turn on and light up fine for about 20 seconds (showing nothing on the screens), then shuts itself off, then restarts itself again and seems to run well from there (although still nothing on screens besides dvi/hdmi no signal).

Everything seems to be running fine, the fans are running and everything's lit up (graphics card, motherboard, keyboard)

On the motherboard where it usually lists temperature it has a b7, at least i'm fairly certain it's a b since temps never really get into the 60's and it's constant.

Note: This is effecting both monitors. One is connected to the graphics card via hdmi, and the other dvi. They both say no signal.

What I've tried... 

Double checked all the cords and reinserted them into computer/monitor

Usually have the monitors plugged into the graphics card, but switched one to the motherboard and unplugged the other

Power cycled the pc by unplugging the psu and holding the power button down for a minute

Took the ram out and re-inserted them after dusting out their slots... 3 times

Removed the cmos? battery (the round battery in the motherboard) and waited a half hour then re-inserted

Dusted the pc because why not 

At this point I have no idea what else to try or what could be wrong so any help would be appreciated!

Edited by tazman656, 18 May 2016 - 01:17 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 381 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:17 AM

Posted 18 May 2016 - 03:11 AM

When you tried the monitor on the integrated motherboard graphics did you physically remove the graphics card form the case?? - as this may be necessary to allow the integrated graphics to function

It seems very unlikely that both monitors have failed - but try them an another source just to be sure (you may not have a another DVI source available but HDMI shouldn't be a problem).

Beyond that you would need to try disconnecting everything that is not absolutely essential for getting a BIOS screen display - so only PSU / motherboard with onboard graphics / CPU with cooler / 1 stick of RAM / Keyboard / 1 monitor. If still no joy I would then probably try an alternative PSU / RAM / keyboard, if it still doesn't work then all the listed parts out of the case & onto the bench for test. If it doesn't run outside the case & you've already tried a replacement PSU / RAM keyboard then there's only the motherboard & CPU left.................................

Edited by rqt, 18 May 2016 - 03:25 AM.

#3 tazman656

tazman656
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:17 AM

Posted 21 May 2016 - 03:46 PM

Alright so I guess something was wrong with my main bios chip. I flipped the switch on the motherboard to switch to the second bios and everything is working fine now. Now to find out how to fix my main bios chip...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users