Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wanting to upgrade my rig

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 ii311hive

ii311hive

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 AM

Posted 17 May 2016 - 05:55 PM

First of all I need to explain what I would like this pc to do. I do want it for gaming, but I am not a real serious gamer IE need the high end gear. I would like it to play the newer stuff Like DooM and Fallout 4 and continue to play the GTA series games and Far Cry 4 without hesitation or running hot. The other thing and probably most important thing is I need to run editing software (IE: AnyVideo converter) without it running hot and the fans spin so fast that feels and sounds like a tornado is on its way. Seriously folks that's what it sounds like, its only shut off on me one time, but one time is enough for me. Here is what I have going on. Suggestions and recommendations are very welcome!

CPU: AMD FX-8350

MOBO: Asustek MSA97

RAM: Gskill DDR3 16gig  (2x8gig)

GPU: Radeon R9 280  2g

Fan: Stock AMD

PSU: Coolmax 750w

Case: Raidmax Atx Mid Tower

Ok, I know what you are thinking . Stock Cooler? Well, I was told the stock amd cooling fan would be enough for what I have, but that's obviously not the case right? Also I think I kinda skimped out on the mobo, but the funds were running low and I had to make do. So that's why my next plans were to get a better cooling system and perferrably a new mobo. I would like to continue to use the DDR3 ram if possible, so consider that if and when you make replacement mobo recommendations please. Also would prefer to have 4 ram slots so I can eventually use 32 gigs of the ddr3. Ok, now that I have said that, would appreciate any suggestions or things I may have left out. Oh, and I am running win7 64bit and not ready for win10.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:08 AM

Posted 18 May 2016 - 06:15 AM

I use the same CPU with 16GB of RAM to good results, I have no complaints playing The Witcher 3 with most settings at max on a GTX 980 with Windows 10.  I suggest swapping out the cooler for something a little better, assuming your case can handle it.  Unfortunately, the model of cooler I use is no longer available.  A cooler like the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO should work well.  For graphics cards, I would go for either the EVGA GeForce GTX 970 04G-P4-3975-KR or the EVGA GeForce GTX 980 04G-P4-3988-KR 4GB CLASSIFIED if you have the money. 

I would go ahead and get the Windows 10 free upgrade which ends in July, you'll need it for DirectX 12 games.

If you aren't in any real hurry to upgrade your CPU and motherboard, which you would also need to buy new RAM and OS license, I would wait until the AMD Zen CPU's are out.  There is little information on them, but it may be worth waiting.

3939.png

#3 JChatt

JChatt

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2016 - 07:15 AM

Id also suggest seeing how the cost of the GTX 1070 turns out as well, with board manufactures yet to release anything and pricing wise would be cheaper than the reference 1070 announced by Nvidia, which should come well under $400 is a very solid option and would definitely be worth the upgrade if you can wait a little longer if you cant afford the card upon release, it will also give you a good future proof buffer that will extend the life of the upgrades!

#4 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,346 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 PM

Posted 18 May 2016 - 07:38 AM

Id also suggest seeing how the cost of the GTX 1070 turns out as well, with board manufactures yet to release anything and pricing wise would be cheaper than the reference 1070 announced by Nvidia, which should come well under $400 is a very solid option and would definitely be worth the upgrade if you can wait a little longer if you cant afford the card upon release, it will also give you a good future proof buffer that will extend the life of the upgrades!

AMD Polaris should also come at about same price range. Released at Computex, that starts last day of this month.

#5 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2016 - 05:31 AM

The Polaris line of GPU's is interesting.  AMD is launching with the mid-range "Polaris" line and the "Vega 10" coming later, but aimed at enthusiasts.  There are rumors the Vega will rival the GTX 1080, but who knows.

3939.png

#6 ii311hive

ii311hive
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2016 - 11:54 PM

I use the same CPU with 16GB of RAM to good results, I have no complaints playing The Witcher 3 with most settings at max on a GTX 980 with Windows 10.  I suggest swapping out the cooler for something a little better, assuming your case can handle it.  Unfortunately, the model of cooler I use is no longer available.  A cooler like the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO should work well.

Are you talking about my tower case? Or the psu? or neither? Please explain. Also,  If neither can you recommend a "case"?

#7 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,346 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2016 - 05:22 AM

I use the same CPU with 16GB of RAM to good results, I have no complaints playing The Witcher 3 with most settings at max on a GTX 980 with Windows 10.  I suggest swapping out the cooler for something a little better, assuming your case can handle it.  Unfortunately, the model of cooler I use is no longer available.  A cooler like the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO should work well.

Are you talking about my tower case? Or the psu? or neither? Please explain. Also,  If neither can you recommend a "case"?

He is talking about CPU cooler. Right now you probably have something like this https://i.ytimg.com/vi/aTsZ1UBJR9c/hqdefault.jpg

#8 ii311hive

ii311hive
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2016 - 10:14 AM

He is talking about CPU cooler. Right now you probably have something like this https://i.ytimg.com/vi/aTsZ1UBJR9c/hqdefault.jpg
Yes this is what I have. Stock amd cooler that came with the cpu.I was referring to the comment about the "if your case can handle it"

Edited by ii311hive, 22 May 2016 - 10:18 AM.

#9 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,346 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2016 - 10:21 AM

Yes this is what I have. Stock amd cooler that came with the cpu.

So buy better cooler and fan problem solved? What is case's exact model? Alternatively measure manually how high cooler can fit on case.

R9 280 3GB card is good enough for games you said. You can also try underclocking it a bit and/or adjust fan profile less aggressive to get lower fan speeds.

Motherboard (M5A97) support 32GB ram so no problem there either.

I also recommend adding SSD.

#10 sandman1374

sandman1374

• Members
  • 65 posts
  •  

Posted 22 May 2016 - 10:58 AM

That is in reference to the height of the Hyper 212 vs the clearance inside the case.

This requires a trip to the coolers manufactures product description page http://us.coolermaster.com/product/Detail/cooling/cpu-air-cooler/hyper-212-evo.html

it shows the Hyper 212 is 158.5mm tall.

Next you'll need to do the same for your case at Raidmax site as your case description doesn't contain model info.

Look for CPU Cooler clearance as most manufactures list this now a days.

You could also measure inside your case but that's usually a PITA with everything already installed.

The 8350 will require decent case air flow as well so be sure fans are adequate especially when under load.

For stock stockings you could probably get by running a fan profile with the mobo software and dial in when to shift fan rpm into high gear etc.

It's not the best, but it does help.

Custom, AMD R7 1800x @ 3925MHz. ASUS Crosshair VI Hero, 2 x 8GB G-Skill Flare-X @ 3466MHz 14-13-13-26-1T, Samsung 960 m.2 NVMe OS. Samsung 840 Pro 120GB SSD OC OS. 2TB WD Blck data, 4TB WD Red Storage, EVGA G2 850 PSU, HD7970 3GB w/XSPC Razor WB. EK C6H Monoblock,  D5 Vario, RX360 rad,RS360 rad, EX140 rad, Xigmatek Elysium. Win10 Pro x64, Linksys WRT1900 ACS, Firefox Beta, Avast Free, Malwarebytes Pro, CCleaner,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users