Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help w/ speeding up computer/deleting unwanted processes

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 jschramm23

jschramm23

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 PM

Posted 17 May 2016 - 05:05 PM

Hello all,

So I haven't had an issue until recently but I always used my laptop to play games and only until recently did my laptop start lagging and dropping frames. I'm assuming it's because of bloatware/unwanted processes going on but I'm not sure. I've ran tons of scans - no virus/malware present. I've done ccleaner and other softwares along these lines but would love to hear anyone's/everyone's opinions. I've attached the processes & details screenshots from my task manager below. 

If all looks well to you guys, it must just be time to buy a new computer...

Also, sorry if what I'm asking for is too much. Just looking to see if anyone out there is willing to take on this task. You'd be helping out someone who has been trying to help himself for over a month now on this issue. 

Thanks a ton, I appreciate it all!

details1.png
details2.png
processes1.png
processes2.png
processes3.png
services1.png
services2.png
services3.png
services4.png
services5.png
services6.png
services7.png
services8.png

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DanieI

DanieI

• Banned
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 PM

Posted 17 May 2016 - 05:17 PM

Regcure Pro: http://www.paretologic.com/products/regcurepro/

*moderator edit: Serial key deleted ~ Queen-Evie*

MAKE SURE TO TURN OFF YOUR INTERNET BEFORE ENTERING THE SERIAL KEY.
TURN OFF WIFI THEN COPY AND PASTE THE SERIAL KEY AND TRY IT
IT WILL WORK -- THEN REBOOT YOUR PC AND ENJOY

*moderator edit 2: Please read the Bleeping Computer Rules which state

No subject matter will be allowed whose purpose is to defeat existing copyright or security measures. If a user persists and/or the activity is obviously illegal the staff reserves the right to remove such content and/or ban the user. This would also mean encouraging the use or continued use of pirated software is not permitted, and subject to the same consequences.

~ QE*

Edited by Queen-Evie, 17 May 2016 - 05:29 PM.

#3 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:03:55 PM

Posted 17 May 2016 - 05:41 PM

Bleeping Computer does not endorse the use of registry cleaners.

From HERE, by quietman7

Why you should not use Registry Cleaners and Optimization Tools

There are numerous programs which purport to improve system performance, make repairs and tune up a computer. Many of them include such features as a registry cleaner, registry optimizer, disk optimizer, etc. Some of these programs even incorporate optimization and registry cleaning features alongside anti-malware capabilities. These registry cleaners and optimizers claim to speed up your computer by finding and removing orphaned and corrupt registry entries that are responsible for slowing down system performance. There is no statistical evidence to back such claims. Advertisements to do so are borderline scams intended to goad users into using an unnecessary and potential dangerous product. I would not trust any results such programs detect as problematic or needing repair nor recommend using the options to fix them.

Some "classic clean-up software" such as "Ccleaner" are classified as "Useless" in this database because the Windows registry does not need any maintenance except if you are victim of a malware infection and because tweaking the windows registery does not speed up a computer at all. It does not mean that Cleaner and similar tools are not good for sweeping your harddrive and help to keep your privacy. Registry cleaners have been become social engineering products (e.g. Iobit Advanced System Care, CCleaner, Wise Registry Cleaner, etc.) and paying for this particular function is just a waste of money.

AV Comparatives "Rogueware library" of useless, misleading or fraudulent, malicious software

Further, these types of junk optimization programs are often bundled with other software you download and most are considered Potentially Unwanted Programs (PUPs) so they may be detected or even removed by some security scanners which specifically look for PUPs and adware.

Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons:

:step1: Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications that can damage the registry by using aggressive cleaning routines and cause your computer to become unbootable.

The Windows registry is a central repository (database) for storing configuration data, user settings and machine-dependent settings, and options for the operating system. It contains information and settings for all hardware, software, users, and preferences. Whenever a user makes changes to settings, file associations, system policies, or installed software, the changes are reflected and stored in this repository. The registry is a crucial component because it is where Windows "remembers" all this information, how it works together, how Windows boots the system and what files it uses when it does. The registry is also a vulnerable subsystem, in that relatively small changes done incorrectly can render the system inoperable. For a more detailed explanation, read Understanding The Registry.

:step2: Not all registry cleaners are created equal. There are a number of them available but they do not all work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad entry". One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause problems when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work. Further, some vendors who offer registry cleaners use deceptive advertisements and claims which are borderline scams. They may alert you to finding thousands of registry errors which can only be fixed to improve performance if you use or buy their product.

:step3: Not all registry cleaners create a backup of the registry before making changes. If the changes prevent the system from booting up, then there is no backup available to restore it in order to regain functionality. A backup of the registry is essential BEFORE making any changes to the registry.

:step4: Improperly removing registry entries can hamper malware disinfection and make the removal process more difficult if your computer becomes infected. For example, removing malware related registry entries before the infection is properly identified can contribute to system instability and even make the malware undetectable to removal tools.

:step5: The usefulness of cleaning the registry is highly overrated and can be dangerous. In most cases, using a cleaner to remove obsolete, invalid, and erroneous entries does not affect system performance but it can result in "unpredictable results".

Official Microsoft support policy for the use of registry cleaning utilities (KB2563254)

...Windows continually references the registry in the background and it is not designed to be accessed or edited. Some products such as registry cleaning utilities suggest that the registry needs regular maintenance or cleaning. However, serious issues can occur when you modify the registry incorrectly using these types of utilities. These issues might require users to reinstall the operating system due to instability. Microsoft cannot guarantee that these problems can be solved without a reinstallation of the Operating System as the extent of the changes made by registry cleaning utilities varies from application to application...Microsoft does not support the use of registry cleaners...

Unless you have a particular problem that requires a specific registry edit to correct it, I would suggest you leave the registry alone. Using registry cleaning tools unnecessarily or incorrectly is dangerous and could lead to disastrous effects on your operating system such as preventing it from ever starting again. For routine use, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great. The major source of orphaned registry entries is poorly uninstalled programs so using a good uninstaller program is a much better way to keep the registry clean.

If you want to improve computer performance, please read: Slow Computer/Browser? Check here first; it may not be malware

Note: Driver Update utilities are just as bad as registry cleaners. Most are junk programs often bundled with other software you download from the Internet and many are classified/detected as potentially unwanted programs (PUPs) by security scanners.

#4 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2016 - 06:08 PM

- Run GSmartControl and tell us how much red/pink lines (except for Temperature) show up in the "Attributes" tab.

http://gsmartcontrol.sourceforge.net/home/

#5 jschramm23

jschramm23
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2016 - 06:40 PM

- Run GSmartControl and tell us how much red/pink lines (except for Temperature) show up in the "Attributes" tab.

http://gsmartcontrol.sourceforge.net/home/

Just ran it and the only one pink was current pending sector count

#6 DanieI

DanieI

• Banned
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2016 - 07:21 PM

Scan your PC with Zemana AntiMalware Free and remove any files that it prompts you to remove or quarantine.

#7 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,090 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2016 - 07:31 PM

Scan your PC with Zemana AntiMalware Free and remove any files that it prompts you to remove or quarantine.

Why would you post such a suggestion...when there is no stated malware issue and the topic is initiated in the Internal Hardware forum?

Louis

#8 DanieI

DanieI

• Banned
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2016 - 07:32 PM

Why would you post such a suggestion...when there is no stated malware issue and the topic is initiated in the Internal Hardware forum?

Louis

Zemana AntiMalware Free  can potentially remove unwanted files that can not only infect your computer, but make it slower so I think my post was very relevant.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,090 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2016 - 07:34 PM

Topic moved to Am I Infected.\

Louis

#10 DanieI

DanieI

• Banned
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2016 - 07:43 PM

http://www.howtogeek.com/228570/10-quick-ways-to-speed-up-a-slow-windows-pc/

I use programs such as CCleaner that help me freshen my computer, and I also use programs that help me get rid of malware, adware, junkware, scareware, spyware, etc. Also, I use Piriform's "Speccy" to view my system specifications and the temperatures of some of my system parts. 

If I see my computer is acting up, and I also see that my system is overheating in some areas, I might want to unplug the power cord and try to replace my liquid cooler.

I highly recommend Speccy, CCleaner, AdwCleaner, Ad-Aware Antivirus, JRT (Junkware Removal Tool), and Webroot SecureAnywhere.

#11 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2016 - 08:42 PM

...Run GSmartControl and tell us how much red/pink lines (except for Temperature) show up in the "Attributes" tab.

Just ran it and the only one pink was current pending sector count [*]

[*] Could this be a hardware issue, alongside a possible malware issue?

I'm asking because I don't know what GSmartControl pending sector count means.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#12 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2016 - 12:40 AM

- No, not an infection. But it's precisely what I thought. Your HD is (in the 1st stages of) failing. Backup everything and replace the HD.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.M.A.R.T.

Edited by Willy22, 18 May 2016 - 12:41 AM.

#13 DanieI

DanieI

• Banned
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2016 - 08:23 PM

Before your whole HDD fails, backup the entire OS. I believe your drive is named C: - That's the default in normal Windows machines.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users