Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Disabling System Restore in Win7, to get a proper AV scan of a workstation

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 TommyBoat

TommyBoat

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:55 PM

Posted 17 May 2016 - 04:59 PM

In using Anti Spyware tools and Anti Virus software to scan a workstation with the intent of ridding it from infections, should we be Disabling System Restore in Windows 7?

I am formalising some local processes and procedures for a Help Desk.  

In my research,  I have found that if System Restore is not disabled, than the virus scan is incomplete.

Here is an entity that performs the disabling of system restore and broadcasts this STEP to their users...

https://www.it.umass.edu/support/security/remove-viruses-malware-your-computer-windows-7

Here are some neat linx...

http://antivirus.about.com/od/windowsbasics/a/systemrestore.htm

http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixtheproblem/ht/virus-scan-malware-scan.htm

thanks for your help in advance! 

Tom

R We Good ?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Daydreamed

Daydreamed

• Members
  • 349 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2016 - 05:34 PM

If you must, I'd only temporarily disable it for the scan. Otherwise, don't disable it at all in case something goes wrong.

- Daydreamed

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,897 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 PM

Posted 17 May 2016 - 06:55 PM

Many security and malware removal experts do not recommend disabling System Restore as the first step when attempting to clean a system or when scanning for malware. Unfortunately, some anti-virus vendors still recommend doing this before attempting malware removal and a lot of folks follow that advice. This is really not a good practice when dealing with infected computer systems. Turning System Restore off and then turning it back on has some risk associated with it since that feature does not always work as intended. Further, there is always a possibility of something going wrong during the malware removal process and you end up with more problems. If an incident renders your system problematic or unbootable, you can use System Restore to return it to a previous working state if restore points are available. Without a restore point to fall back on, you are left with a limited means of restoring your system to a usable condition. Disabling this feature could mean having to perform a repair install (or reformat in worst case scenarios) if you're unable to fix any problems which System Restore may be able to correct. Although System Restore is not always 100% guaranteed to work all the time, it at least gives you another option before resorting to more drastic measures.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 TommyBoat

TommyBoat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 42 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2016 - 09:59 PM

Fair enough!   I do not want to complicate things for the help desk.  I will stick with our original plan.   

THANK YOU

R We Good ?

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,897 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:55 PM

Posted 18 May 2016 - 05:44 AM

You're welcome and good luck.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018