Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blocking Tutorial

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 DanieI

DanieI

• Banned
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 PM

Posted 17 May 2016 - 04:09 PM

Hello, users. How are you today?

Right now I will be explaining how to block websites.

You do not need access to your router for this, and it is very simple.

Open your start menu.

Paste the following into it: notepad

Right click on the blue notepad and click "Run as Administrator" - 

If a UAC prompt comes up, click "Yes"

Click "File>Open" and navigate to: C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc\

Double click on the file with the following name: hosts

Scroll down to the very bottom and paste the following in: 0.0.0.0 www.example.com

Replace "example" with any website name and ".com" with any domain. 

Here is an example, I'll block Facebook: 0.0.0.0 www.facebook.com

All I had to do was paste that into the bottom of the file, save it, and Facebook is now blocked!

Only common browsers will block the website. Such browsers include Firefox, IE, Safari, Chrome, and Opera.

Browsers such as "Epic Privacy Browser" that are uncommon will not block these sites.

Hope I helped!

:bananas:

Edited by Queen-Evie, 17 May 2016 - 05:09 PM.
moved from General Security to Tips and Tricks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,517 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 PM

Posted 17 May 2016 - 08:23 PM

You're in great company!  MVPS host, Spybot 1.62 & 2.x, SpywareBlaster, and probably some others add to the host file   :)   [ps, lose the dancing banana, it's been done]

Edited by RolandJS, 17 May 2016 - 08:25 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 DanieI

DanieI
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2016 - 08:28 PM

You're in great company!  MVPS host, Spybot 1.62 & 2.x, SpywareBlaster, and probably some others add to the host file   :)   [ps, lose the dancing banana, it's been done]

Cool. Young children that might be interested in computer science shouldn't rely on programs like those. Manual is always the best. You can be more precise and careful as well.

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,916 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 AM

Posted 18 May 2016 - 05:26 AM

how to make the internet not suck (as much)

http://someonewhocares.org/hosts/

When I ran Windows I used a similar hosts file to this. You can do similar in Linux.

USE AT OWN RISK

Edited by NickAu, 18 May 2016 - 05:28 AM.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#5 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,002 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2016 - 02:45 AM

Daniel,  :welcome: to Bleeping Computer Forums! :)

Thanks for that tutorial, will bookmark the Topic, because I have one 'lender' notebook, and I don't want any @yahoo.com sites to be accessed on it, caused two of my Windows installs in my main PC room to get infected while the guest was accessing Yahoo Fantasy Sports. I presume because of network sharing, now turned off on every Windows install (yet still all connected by the physical router), which is how malicious code spreads, like the flu, from one block to the next. Cable Internet is bad for spreading threats, just one click by a user onto a Malware loaded link will spew the bad code over the area within minutes. Which is exactly what it's distributor wants, to infect as many computers as possible. 

This is my lesson of today. :)

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#6 DanieI

DanieI
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2016 - 03:52 PM

Daniel,  :welcome: to Bleeping Computer Forums! :)

Thanks for that tutorial, will bookmark the Topic, because I have one 'lender' notebook, and I don't want any @yahoo.com sites to be accessed on it, caused two of my Windows installs in my main PC room to get infected while the guest was accessing Yahoo Fantasy Sports. I presume because of network sharing, now turned off on every Windows install (yet still all connected by the physical router), which is how malicious code spreads, like the flu, from one block to the next. Cable Internet is bad for spreading threats, just one click by a user onto a Malware loaded link will spew the bad code over the area within minutes. Which is exactly what it's distributor wants, to infect as many computers as possible. 

This is my lesson of today. :)

Cat

No problem! Simply go to the hosts file with admin permissions and antivirus/antimalware programs turned off, and add in "0.0.0.0 www.yahoo.com" and it should block all Yahoo derivatives as well.

#7 MajesticFailure

MajesticFailure

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 AM

Posted 19 May 2016 - 07:42 PM

Hi cat1092, i can't quote you, but it'd be interesting to understand more fully how Yahoo Fantasy Sports infects a computer and how the infection spreads via router, in laypersons terms ...

#8 DanieI

DanieI
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2016 - 08:03 PM

Hi cat1092, i can't quote you, but it'd be interesting to understand more fully how Yahoo Fantasy Sports infects a computer and how the infection spreads via router, in laypersons terms ...

To be honest with you MajesticFailure, I don't even know what he/she was talking about. Yahoo services will not infect anything, I have a secure PC and network, and I use yahoo mail as well as all there sports services, etc. If you have some ads or popups of some sort that hijacked your browser, that doesn't have to do with Yahoo. Also, it can spread across your network only if you're connected to the WiFi. The pure nature of the page, downloaded as an HTML, can be accessed without Internet connection. It will have obviously almost 50% less functionality, but will still be a page, and therefore if it doesn't infect your PC, it can't really infect the network. Those would be Internet hijackers, which have 0% to do with Yahoo Sports and is irrelevant as a whole.

#9 MajesticFailure

MajesticFailure

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2016 - 08:12 PM

Hi Daniel, i understand your version of it, so i guess that answers my question. Ty for the OP btw.

#10 DanieI

DanieI
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2016 - 08:21 PM

Hi Daniel, i understand your version of it, so i guess that answers my question. Ty for the OP btw.

What does OP mean? By the way, no problem (for answering your question). :P You can private message Cat, but I'm not really sure what they meant by that.

#11 MajesticFailure

MajesticFailure

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2016 - 08:29 PM

OP = original post :) or original poster i.e. the person that made the original post. Or opening post. Or oily post, something to avoid. Or opened post, time to move out of my parents' house. I think the first definition is definitive.

BTW i agree with post #2 as well, murder that dancing banana, my man :P

#12 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,002 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2016 - 01:37 AM

MajesticFailure,  :welcome: to Beeping Computer Forums! :)

We're glad to have you hear & hope that you'll find our forum meets your needs. :thumbup2:

Now, to answer your question. If you were to examine the Am I Infected line closely, and read all of the posts, you may be surprised (or not?) to find that many has one or more has visited Yahoo sites, clicked onto a legit looking link on the page, and the Malware begins to flow. That person, nor anyone else on the network, may not know, until the damage is done, there's no turning back, other than pressing the power key to (hopefully) prevent damage or spread to one's Data & Recovery partitions. Many Malwares will disable Recovery & sneak in there, so even if a recovery could be forced with a partition tool by making it Active & rebooting, to reload the OS, it's no longer safe. 

Nor is one's data. One has to use a bootable tool, such as a Linux distro, and pull any wanted files, photos, emails, whatever out, and scan multiple times using more than one product to ensure these are 'clean'. 

As to Yahoo Fantasy Sports in general, well that's what the person was on while two of my Windows 7 installs were infected within minutes, not to include the loaner computer. While I had backups of all, and was able to swiftly restore the entire drives of all, an in the 15% of of Home users who performs this task, and I perform weekly full disk images, none of that incremental stuff, which is more prone to failure. 

The thing about Yahoo (& AOL until Version took the corporation in), that they have little choice in screening those looking to place ads on their site, like Outlook/Hotmail, GMail, and the bigger names of today which has no cash flow issues. And when one is desperate for cash, will often turn their heads even if they know of possible bad intent. Once they lease that ad space, it's on, it's either let the ads continue, or pay back any upfront cash paid, and Yahoo simply cannot afford that option with a CEO on the verge of collecting a $55 million 'golden parachute' who could care less. The site was once cleaned up for 2-3 months, only to fall back to the dogs under her watch in both instances.  :P

So with this explanation, I hope that this answers your question. :)

In the meantime, have once again rethought my 'guest plan' for lending a notebook, will have no other choice but to either set things up in my PC room to be viewing the same page as they & have emergency control of the keyboard/mouse, go back to my old plan and allow all the use of my XP notebook only to discourage asking for a computer (can always say the Toshiba is 'in need of repair'), and will use the 'guest' network of my router, which is separate from my connection & won't cause infections to any connected to the main network (which I didn't have at the time), or finally choking access to all others on my network (probably best option). Since most has both a smartphone plus a notebook or tablet, am not dumb, know there's a way to make most any modern smartphone a 'hotspot' for computer use at full 4G speed for up to 10GB (some has this capped at 5GB), if any lower than 5GB, time to get another plan. :)

Walmart (teamed with T-Mobile) has a $30 promo every 2-3 months that allows up to 4GB of 4G content per month, with 'all you can eat' 3G afterwards. Some being freeloaders, why would someone owning an iPhone need to borrow one's notebook for? Many will use Windows notebooks when free, yet won't pay for one, and this applies to the guest in question, he not long back stated that only Apple computers were 'secure enough' for his usage. Having lost a rather prestigious job about 8-9 years back due to viewing adult content on company computers (as well as possibly his marriage, which fell apart less than a couple of months later with a less than 6 moth old daughter), he ought to know more about security by now, called 'network auditing'. Took him close to 5 years to regain a respectable job again, so hope that he learned a lesson on that front, yet there's obviously lots of room for improvement. :P

A Firewall appliance is yet another option, Sophos has one free for private use, and I have a spare PC that meets the requirements, other than an outbound Gigabit card, which can be picked up for $25 or less on eBay, Intel branded ones that over $300 new back at the time of W7's release. 

Because even if I were to add Yahoo.com (and all sub-sites), as well as Facebook, Twitter, Amazon, NC Dept of Revenue & the IRS onto the hosts file, someone will have another, Yahoo's not the only sleazy, Malware loaded site on the Internet, and before all is said & done, the list will be so long hat it'll require copy/pasting to Notepad the list of sites to save. 

The reason why I was able to iD the malicious sites were due to an AdwCleaner report of the computer that I allow guests to use, as well as extensive browsing history left behind. Most every site visited were Yahoo.com ones, along with a few Facebook one at the end of session, however that was after the infections took place. MBAM also tried to block access to sites which was overridden, now has password protection. 

Some folks just never learns............until they end up in prison for doing something stupid. :P

One thing's for certain, there's no 'get out of jail free' cards here. 

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 21 May 2016 - 03:35 AM.

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#13 MajesticFailure

MajesticFailure

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2016 - 11:24 AM

Thanks again Dan for your cool OP, l might tell my sister about it.

And thanks Cat for your amazing post. I remember Yahoo actually cost me a meaningful (well, kinda) friendship because an ad for Dell XPS kept freezing my computer during chess games. They had a brilliant free games system and closed it down for no good reason btw. 

Your post is quite controversial. I have picked up virus attacks via Google images and l'm sure via Google ads too (don't hold me to the latter assertion).

This is gonna sound facetious, and we're already way off topic here and i don't want to hijack the OP, but perhaps you could teach us elsewhere how to make your setup described in Post #12, with diagrams and annotations? Actually n/m it's a big ask. I can just read a book about it.

Edited by MajesticFailure, 20 May 2016 - 11:53 AM.

#14 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,002 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2016 - 04:19 AM

This is gonna sound facetious, and we're already way off topic here and i don't want to hijack the OP, but perhaps you could teach us elsewhere how to make your setup described in Post #12, with diagrams and annotations? Actually n/m it's a big ask. I can just read a book about it.

You mean about the Firewall Appliance? If interested & have a spare PC that meets the specs (many former business PC's with a dual core Core 2 Duo/Quad will do), can be done, all with free software. 

https://www.sophos.com/en-us/products/free-tools/sophos-utm-home-edition.aspx

In the meantime, am aiming to implement some of the rules that the OP has suggested on this one loaner PC & hope for the best. Can always review Web pages visited to add more that I don't want accessed. The more added, the less the freeloader will be interested. Though know that I'll have to include a load of sites that covers sports (even MSN/ESPN Sports), it's basically all that the one person is interested in. 

Cloning the 120GiB Samsung 840 EVO SSD to a very slow SATA-1 HDD (8MB cache running at 5400rpm) may also help, and will protect the main drive from infection. This is how some performs backups, by cloning one drive to the next every week, this also helps with wear & tear on each. In this case, his smartphone will clearly be faster & may choose to use it instead. If so & he wants or needs Internet access, my neighbor owes me a favor, I can ask if it's OK should I have Internet troubles, if I can use his? That would solve my problem, yet still wouldn't want my drive to become infected, so would still perform a clone to the other to protect mine, and may cause the neighbor to need my assistance again, and I'd want the same again in return. 

Though would still apply the block that the OP brought up, to lessen the chance of infection. :)

Great Tutorial by the OP! :thumbup2:

Cat

Edited by cat1092, 21 May 2016 - 04:19 AM.

#15 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,002 posts
  •  

Posted 16 June 2016 - 04:47 AM

And thanks Cat for your amazing post. I remember Yahoo actually cost me a meaningful (well, kinda) friendship because an ad for Dell XPS kept freezing my computer during chess games. 

That's what happened to me, the one using the spare notebook was on Yahoo Fantasy Sports, and evidently was clicking on ads, because first my XPS running W7 froze up in the PC room, as did another computer running 8.1, don't know why neither Emsisoft Anti Malware nor MBAM caught the infections (ESET Smart Security & MBAM on the other), and it was only the next day after cleanup that I discovered what had happened. First, a huge mistake in having computers 'home grouped', secondly it may not had mattered because both (along with the notebook the guest was using) was on my main network. 

Had I connected the PC to the separate guest network instead, it likely wouldn't had happened. :)

But I now have the situation under control, my neighbor said that I could use his in an emergency, so that's my plan, to disassociate what anyone is doing on mine. Secondly, am only going to loan the XP notebook on a restricted account (can't run Disk Cleanup, CCleaner, manually run or control the installed AV/AM software nor stop quarantine (has happened twice already), this has cut it down to the one freeloader, it's a matter of time before he hangs himself & I'll let him do so. I still keep it imaged, so can roll back to a image before he ever used the computer after a DBAN wipe & can swap the network card (I disable the internal when others uses & provide a PCI one on the left side), though I'll still check the sites visited. Here's my lender NIC card.

http://www.encore-usa.com/us/support/ENPWI-G2

Got to cover my back somehow & the PC is no longer registered in my name after reinstall, just used a name of a pet I had, while activation is mandatory, registration is voluntary & I skipped, and activated at McDonalds. So there's no chance of the event above happening again, the computer after reinstall has never been physically connected to my network, it'll connect to the profiled one, my neighbor's, which I updated on while he was asleep so that I wouldn't be eating into his bandwidth while using. :P

If he chooses to connect his smartphone, I'll also have him connect to that one. No more of my computers will be infected by other's activities. 

Cat

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users