Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question about Windows 7

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 34BLEEP00XX

34BLEEP00XX

• Members
  • 272 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 AM

Posted 17 May 2016 - 03:26 PM

Three Questions:

I have windows 7 Home Premium. Should I upgrade it to Windows 7 Professional and then to Windows 10?

Does Windows 10 have Compatibility mode like Windows 7?

About Windows 10 Startup Screen: It is so complex. Can it be reverted to Windows 7 Start screen?

Edited by hamluis, 18 May 2016 - 06:54 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Win 10 Discussion - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DanieI

DanieI

• Banned
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:05 PM

Posted 17 May 2016 - 03:56 PM

-Get Windows 10

-Windows 10 does have compatibility mode with basically every single Windows 7 product.

-The startup screen can be reverted with http://www.skinpacks.com

Edited by DanieI, 17 May 2016 - 03:57 PM.

#3 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,550 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:05 PM

Posted 17 May 2016 - 07:22 PM

Why would anyone consider "upgrading" from 7 Home to 7 Pro?

Any questions you have about Win 10...can probably best be answered in the BC Win 10 Discussion forum.

Louis

#4 DanieI

DanieI

• Banned
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2016 - 07:27 PM

Why would anyone consider "upgrading" from 7 Home to 7 Pro?

Any questions you have about Win 10...can probably best be answered in the BC Win 10 Discussion forum.

Louis

Hence the name, Windows 7 Professional is professional. It's also faster from my experience. I've tested both. I personally enjoy Win7 Pro x64 (SP1) much better than Win7 Home premium.

Edited by DanieI, 17 May 2016 - 07:27 PM.

#5 DanieI

DanieI

• Banned
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2016 - 07:29 PM

Three Questions:

I have windows 7 Home Premium. Should I upgrade it to Windows 7 Professional and then to Windows 10?

Does Windows 10 have Compatibility mode like Windows 7?

About Windows 10 Startup Screen: It is so complex. Can it be reverted to Windows 7 Start screen?

Upgrading to Windows 7 Professional just to get Windows 10 is useless. Simply download it from here.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-10-upgrade

Run it, and choose "upgrade now".

If you don't want to install anything, the bottom of your screen, on the task bar, you should see a little white windows icon towards the right of your screen. Double click it, and then hit "Upgrade Now".

#2waysToGetW10fromWin7HomePremium

#6 34BLEEP00XX

34BLEEP00XX
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 272 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 AM

Posted 18 May 2016 - 11:44 AM

Question: What is a difference between Win10 Home and Win10 Pro?

From cnet.com:

• Those of you who currently run Windows 7 Starter, Windows 7 Home Basic or Windows 7 Home Premium will be upgraded to Windows 10 Home.
  • Those of you running Windows 7 Professional or Windows 7 Ultimate will be upgraded to Windows 10 Pro.

Troubling info:

Also I heard that Windows 7 widgets are REMOVED by windows 10. Yikes. There is a good widget on Win 7 and I NEED IT.

Question:

What is that Cortana which is not available in Finland?

#7 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,494 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2016 - 12:07 PM

34Bleep00XX,

Yes, widgets as a Windows feature are gone, but like virtually everything else, you can get third-party recreations of most of the "must-have" ones (which were few and far between - these things ended because of lack of use by most of the base of Windows users).

Cortana is Microsoft's answer to Apple's Siri personal digital assistant and, in very many ways, is quite a bit better than Siri.  I'm surprised Finland is not one of the markets where she's been "unleashed."

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#8 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 374 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:05 AM

Posted 18 May 2016 - 01:53 PM

8gadgetpack allows you to run gadgets in Windows 10 (or, as the name might suggest, Windows 8)

#9 DanieI

DanieI

• Banned
  • 109 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2016 - 05:03 PM

8gadgetpack allows you to run gadgets in Windows 10 (or, as the name might suggest, Windows 8)

In my opinion, all those widgets and gadgets and... in general, metro style, is very bad in my opinion. I'd rather have Windows 7 or Windows 10 than Windows 8. Microsoft should put Windows 8 on phones, not computers. I'd buy a Windows 8 phone, definitely, but not PC... who wants a smartphone with full-screen metro apps on a hardcore PC? I've had a computer before that had windows 8.1 and it had 12 GB of RAM, and 4.1 GhZ - it was an overclocked gaming beast - I just avoided Metro.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users