Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Adapter card causes system freeze

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 johnmeehan

johnmeehan

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:42 AM

Posted 17 May 2016 - 03:23 PM

I have tried installing the following card into my system and the system freezes on the screen that states press F2 to enter BIOS set up.  Pressing F2 does nothing the system just freezes.

Card I am trying to install:

StarTech 1 port PCI express IDE controller adapter card PEX2IDE

Computer brand PowerSpec

Desktop Board Intel D945GCNL

BIOS vers.:  NL94510J.86A.0036.2009.1231.1407

Processor type:

Intel Core 2 Duo CPU

E7300 @ 2.66 GHz

Intel EM64T capable

Total memory:  2048MB

I am trying to install two additional non-SATA HDs

It does not matter if the HDs are connected to the card or not.  Insertion of the card causes the system freeze.

I read on the internet (another site) that the audio card may be causing a conflct.  I uninstalled the audio card and the system still froze when the adapter card was inserted.

Is there a BIOS setup setting that I could be missing?

I am not too familiar with BIOS settings and do not want to hapazardly change things.

Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

Edited by hamluis, 21 May 2016 - 10:26 AM.
Moved from System Building to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,885 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:42 PM

Posted 17 May 2016 - 03:28 PM

Sometimes when system freezes occur during the installation of new hardware, a return to the OS install disk will find the hardware and proper drivers.  Boot to the OS disk and do  a REPAIR, this will not change any files or programs, just bring the OS up to date with the new, additional hardware.

#3 johnmeehan

johnmeehan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2016 - 03:31 PM

Unfortunately the system will not get to the point where it attempts to load the OS.  It freezes on the initial screen that provides the opportunity to enter BIOS setup.

Thank you for the prompt response.

#4 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,885 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2016 - 07:27 PM

The BIOS should be available from the very beginning, not through the OS.  If the BIOS is not holding settings or has faulty settings, the OS will start to look for the questionable hardware.  Replace the CMOS battery (coin type) and do a system default settings.  The BIOS should come up as soon as you boot, hit F4 or F8 depending on the BIOS version to enter as soon as you power up.

#5 johnmeehan

johnmeehan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2016 - 09:28 AM

I know the BIOS is not available through the OS.  The system freezes when it gets to the BIOS screen (the screen that states press F2 to access bios setup)

When I remove the card the system boots normally.

What I need to know is if there is a setting I need to change in the BIOS with the card unistalled to solve the problem of the system freezing when it reaches the BIOS set up screen.

I am not sure how better to explain what I am dealing with than to state that without the card the the system does not freeze on the BIOS screen and goes on to load the OS

With the card installed the system freezes on the screen that permits the pressing of F2 to enter the BIOS and the system has to be turned off and the card uninstalled to correct the problem.

Here is what I have:

Without card installed:

Power on > system self checks > screen appears allowing limited time to press F2 for BIOS setup > if F2 is pressed system enters BIOS setup if F2 is not pressed the OS starts loading and everything works as it should.

With card installed:

Power on > system self checks > screen apears allowing limited time to press F2 for BIOS setup and freezes at that point.

#6 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,885 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2016 - 09:32 AM

Seems strange but have you tried the card in another machine, or another slot on the MOBO.  If those attempts are for naught, then the card is bad or incompatible with the existing hardware.

#7 johnmeehan

johnmeehan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2016 - 10:00 AM

I do not have another slot on the machine with the same configuration.

According to the motherboard product guide:

"PCI and PCI Express Auto Configuration"

"If you install a PCI/PCI Express add-in card in you computer, the PCI/PCI Express auto-configuration utility in the BIOS automatically detects and configures the resources (IRQs, DMA channels, and the I/O space) for that add-in card.  You do not need to run the BIOS Setup program after you install a PCI/PCI Express add-in card"

Apparently the card I am trying to install requires me to adjust settings in the BIOS and I need information on which settings in the BIOS I need to change so the system recognizes the card.

#8 johnmeehan

johnmeehan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2016 - 09:37 PM

Could restoring the BIOS to Intel defaults instead of the manufacturer's settings help?

I am thinking that perhaps the vendor blocked certain settings in the BIOS configuration that, when unblocked, might be able to be configured to solve the problem.

The other alternative I am thinking about is uninstalling all cards except for the adapter card I want recognized, recycling the power and hoping that any internal conflcts will be resolved and then as I reinstall the other cards one at a time recycle the power after each reinstall to see if they are recognized.

I came across a program on the Intel site for system integrators that, if I am reading the description right, gets rid of all of the vendor's settings and restores the options in BIOS setup that may have been blocked by the builder of the system.  It even enables replacement of the PowerSpec splash screen with a screen of my choice.  Though the splash screen is something I do not care about one way or the other.

#9 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,885 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2016 - 02:19 PM

The other problem could be that the card is incompatible with your MOBO.  Yes, some serious proprietary  information goes into the BIOS.    Removing all card except for the PCI card in question.  A real reset would be to do the hardware reset, remove the CMOS battery and replace it. 

#10 johnmeehan

johnmeehan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2016 - 12:58 PM

I might "play" around with the computer a little more, but am leaning toward saying the hell with using the card to install older HDs that I have laying around and just go with SATA drives.  Have three available bays.

I have another older intel board laying around that I put into a chasis that was out back of a local thrift store (former classmate usually takes the junk away for recycling but as I was walking my dog past the location at the time I asked about it, he went ahead and let me have it).  Might try the card in that setup.  Only problem is that chasis does not have as many open bays as I would like but maybe I can figure out how to use it as a server or as my Linux learning machine (system to learn Linux on without having to worry about deleting anything important).

#11 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,885 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2016 - 04:21 PM

I used to do some collection of spares that way but found they have been tossed for one reason - -  its broke and might BREAK your stuff.

#12 johnmeehan

johnmeehan
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 21 May 2016 - 05:11 PM

In the old days of DOS I came across a shareware program called "Burn In" could load that up and run a machine for hours to see if anything would malfunction.  Have not searched to see if there is a windows based equivelent.

#13 Fascist Nation

Fascist Nation

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 AM

Posted 21 May 2016 - 07:30 PM

I would say that is likely a defective card that should be returned for a new one.

That said, you can try a CMOS reset after installing the card.  May want to photograph your BIOS settings before doing this.

https://www-ssl.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/boards-and-kits/desktop-boards/000005930.html

You can update the BIOS to the last revision available if not already and hope they had a fix along the way. Be sure the card is out and the systme is stable before doing the update.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/18580/BIOS-Update-NL94510J-86A-?product=50369

edit 1: Actually you can stick that card in any of those PCIe slots.

edit 2: Still available though I would not use it on an archaic (but useful) system due to the stress it would place on it.

http://www.passmark.com/products/bit.htm

Edited by Fascist Nation, 21 May 2016 - 07:38 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users