Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Win 10, Can't Get Past MOBO POST Screen

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 saxdragon

saxdragon

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 AM

Posted 17 May 2016 - 02:27 PM

Booting hangs at the screen with the revolving dots progress animation.

My machine has two hard disks in it.  One is loaded with Win 10, recently upgraded automatically from Win 7 Pro.  The other disk i recently installed Win 7 Pro on.  Both were working okay until last week when i logged on and got a message that my E:\ drive (the one with Win 10) needed to have CHKDSK run on it.  CHKDSK ran and it's last action before quitting was to go through every single security ID file and replace it with "default security ID" files.  Over 700,000 files.  It took over 8 hours to complete this process.  After that I could no longer boot into the disk that ran Win 10.  I also couldn't access that disk from my other hard drive (the one running Win 7) even after repeatedly changing security permissions by entering the disk properties preferences menu.  I ran a virus check using Avast Antivirus.  It found several medium-level threats and repaired them.  However, that disk still remains inaccessible to me with any program or while booting up.  I've tried using the BIOS setup menu to change the order of drive booting, and even disconnected the other drive.  No luck there.  

At first i was sure it was a system problem, but now i'm starting to believe it might be a virus.

I would appreciate any assistance.  Thanks very much.

My machine is a custom-built running on dual AMD64X processors 3.4 Mhz with 4 Gb of RAM.  Video card is NVidia 750Ti with 1 Gb memory.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 saxdragon

saxdragon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 18 May 2016 - 04:41 PM

Update to my post:

I ran Emsisoft Anti-Malware, targeting the problematic drive.  It found no threats.  

Upon looking at the "properties" menu for that drive, it claimed (with the pie graphic) that the drive had no unused space at all on it, but i know that the last time i was able to log into that drive, almost 50 percent of that disk was free space.

#3 saxdragon

saxdragon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 19 May 2016 - 05:38 PM

Update number 2 to my post.

Ran Malwarebytes  and it found 3 PUP's on the un-bootable drive, and one PUP on my C drive (running Win 7).

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 73,556 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 AM

Posted 20 May 2016 - 09:03 AM

Please run these next.

3Al62Pm.pngMiniToolBox
  • Please download MiniToolBox, save it to your desktop and run it.
  • Checkmark the following checkboxes:
    • Flush DNS
    • Report IE Proxy Settings
    • Reset IE Proxy Settings
    • Report FF Proxy Settings
    • Reset FF Proxy Settings
    • List content of Hosts
    • List IP configuration
    • List Winsock Entries
    • List last 10 Event Viewer log
    • List Installed Programs
    • List Users, Partitions and Memory size.
  • Click Go and post the result (Result.txt). A copy of Result.txt will be saved in the same directory the tool is run. Note: When using "Reset FF Proxy Settings" option Firefox should be closed.
zcMPezJ.pngAdwCleaner
  • Please download AdwCleaner by Xplode and save to your Desktop.
  • Double click on AdwCleaner.exe to run the tool. Vista/Windows 7/8 users right-click and select Run As Administrator
  • Click on the Scan button.
  • AdwCleaner will begin...be patient as the scan may take some time to complete.
  • After the scan has finished, click on the Report button...a logfile (AdwCleaner[R0].txt) will open in Notepad for review.
  • The contents of the log file may be confusing. Unless you see a program name that you know should not be removed, don't worry about it. If you see an entry you want to keep, let me know about it.
  • Copy and paste the contents of that logfile in your next reply.
  • A copy of all logfiles are saved in the C:\AdwCleaner folder which was created when running the tool.
lv0mVRW.pngJunkware Removal Tool
  • Please download Junkware Removal Tool to your desktop.
  • Shut down your protection software now to avoid potential conflicts.
  • Run the tool by double-clicking it. If you are using Windows Vista, 7, or 8; instead of double-clicking, right-mouse click JRT.exe and select "Run as Administrator".
  • The tool will open and start scanning your system.
  • Please be patient as this can take a while to complete depending on your system's specifications.
  • On completion, a log (JRT.txt) is saved to your desktop and will automatically open.
  • Post the contents of JRT.txt into your next message.
Now a Rootkit check....

Download 51a5f31352b88-icon_MBAR.pngMalwarebytes Anti-Rootkit to your desktop.
  • Double click on downloaded file. OK self extracting prompt.
  • Warning! Malwarebytes Anti-Rootkit needs to be run from an account with administrator rights.
  • MBAR will start. Click in the introduction screen "next" to continue.
  • Click in the following screen "Update" to obtain the latest malware definitions.
  • Once the update is complete select "Next" and click "Scan".
  • When the scan is finished and no malware has been found select "Exit".
  • If malware was detected, make sure to check all the items and click "Cleanup". Reboot your computer.
  • Open the MBAR folder and paste the content of the following files in your next reply:
    • "mbar-log-{date} (xx-xx-xx).txt"
    • "system-log.txt"

How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 saxdragon

saxdragon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 20 May 2016 - 07:53 PM

Thank you

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users