Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

I'm building a new computer and I have questions. :)

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 SyianZi

SyianZi

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 AM

Posted 17 May 2016 - 01:26 PM

Hi folks!

So I've decided in the next few months I'm buying a new machine and wanted to list the parts here and hopefully get some constructive feedback.

My criteria

I would like this machine to run DOOM on max graphics at 60fps. Not just DOOM, but many games, of course. 

What I have

I already have a Cooler master 700W power supply

I have a Galax GTX 970 with a NZXT Bracket and Corsair h75 water cooler attached.

What I want  1.1

Processor: Intel Core i7 6700 3.4GHz Socket 1151 8MB L3 Cache Retail Boxed Processor

Mobo: Asus Z170 PRO GAMING Socket 1151 VGA DVI HDMI 8-channel HD audio ATX Motherboard

SSD: Crucial CT500MX200SSD1 MX200 500GB 2.5inch 7mm with 9.5mm adapter SSD

RAM: HyperX 8GB (2x4GB) 2666MHz DDR4 Non-ECC CL15 1.2V Memory

Case: NZXT Noctis 450 Matte Black Mid Tower Case

CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H75 Liquid CPU Cooler

External HD: Samsung 500GB M3 Portable External Hard Drive

My Questions

First, I would like to know that all of this will fit. 

I wondered about the h75 water cooler radiator and where it could go, this case seems pretty spacious.

I wondered if I would have enough room if I purchase a second h75 for my CPU, however for now, I could just use the heat sink that comes with the CPU.

Second, I have attached the CPUs Intel page link because it mentions DDR3 memory but not DDR4 in the specifications, but I have added DDR4 in this build, should I pick up a different CPU?

Third, am I missing anything? I have a monitor, mouse, keyboard, headset etc. 

Thanks!

Edited by SyianZi, 17 May 2016 - 03:33 PM.

System Information:

Spoiler

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 382 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 AM

Posted 17 May 2016 - 01:41 PM

If you have a motherboard that requires DR3, such as the Asus Z97-PRO GAMER, then you MUST use DDR3 RAM.

If you want to use DDR4 then you will need a newer motherboard & probably a more recent CPU to go with it.

Do you have a specific reason for choosing a 2 year old CPU? (the price certainly does not seem to be a reason to choose it)

#3 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,398 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 PM

Posted 17 May 2016 - 01:55 PM

I would just put FX-8350 CPU into current motherboard and overlock little. Then difference against i5-4690 would be quite small. Considering price difference, upgrading to FX-8350 becomes very good option.

I also do not recommend Samsung 850 Evo, because it uses unreliable (as 840 and 840 Evo models have shown) TLC nand.

In case you want DDR4 memory, you will also need LGA1151 motherboard.

Edit: In case you want max graphics 60FPS etc, you will also need better GPU so I even more suggest upgrading with FX-8350 CPU.

Edited by Drillingmachine, 17 May 2016 - 01:58 PM.

#4 SyianZi

SyianZi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2016 - 02:20 PM

If you have a motherboard that requires DR3, such as the Asus Z97-PRO GAMER, then you MUST use DDR3 RAM.

If you want to use DDR4 then you will need a newer motherboard & probably a more recent CPU to go with it.

Do you have a specific reason for choosing a 2 year old CPU? (the price certainly does not seem to be a reason to choose it)

I was checking out some posts online and started with some recommendations, I actually thought they were quite recent but obviously quite outdated. I've changed the CPU above. 

One of the questions about the CPU I have listed now, is that on Intel's website, it says "Memory Types: DDR4-1866/2133". The motherboard states memory from DDR4 2133 and upwards. Would this mean the DDR4 RAM I chose at 2666 would now sit well with the CPU?

I would just put FX-8350 CPU into current motherboard and overlock little. Then difference against i5-4690 would be quite small. Considering price difference, upgrading to FX-8350 becomes very good option.

I also do not recommend Samsung 850 Evo, because it uses unreliable (as 840 and 840 Evo models have shown) TLC nand.

In case you want DDR4 memory, you will also need LGA1151 motherboard.

Edit: In case you want max graphics 60FPS etc, you will also need better GPU so I even more suggest upgrading with FX-8350 CPU.

I've switched out the i5 for an i7 and the z97 for a z170, check out the pieces above. And I'm surprised about the SSD, is there any other SSD you would recommend? 

Thanks

System Information:

Spoiler

#5 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 AM

Posted 17 May 2016 - 02:37 PM

Please add two ext HDs and Macrium Reflect, Acronis True Image, or something similar, to your purchase list.   As Cat1092 , Niweg and I would say:  In times of deep OS [or data] crisis, one rarely if ever regrets having routine restorable backups of OS and data partitions.

Perhaps consider OS backup just before installing DOOM and other games; another OS backup afterwards.

[I've seen threads where the end-user without backup...long climb uphill.]

Edited by RolandJS, 17 May 2016 - 02:41 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#6 SyianZi

SyianZi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2016 - 02:47 PM

Please add two ext HDs and Macrium Reflect, Acronis True Image, or something similar, to your purchase list.   As Cat1092 , Niweg and I would say:  In times of deep OS [or data] crisis, one rarely if ever regrets having routine restorable backups of OS and data partitions.

Perhaps consider OS backup just before installing DOOM and other games; another OS backup afterwards.

[I've seen threads where the end-user without backup...long climb uphill.]

Well I have two internal SATA HDs (1tb & 500gb), if I get the software, these internal HD's should be fine right?

System Information:

Spoiler

#7 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 382 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 AM

Posted 17 May 2016 - 02:49 PM

"One of the questions about the CPU I have listed now, is that on Intel's website, it says "Memory Types: DDR4-1866/2133". The motherboard states memory from DDR4 2133 and upwards. Would this mean the DDR4 RAM I chose at 2666 would now sit well with the CPU?"

Don't worry about the RAM spec for the CPU  - the RAM spec for the motherboard is what matters. The 2666 RAM will work fine (I have Crucial 2666 RAM in my Gigabyte Z170 based board which has is i5-6600K CPU). Personally I'd be looking for more than 8GB though - mine currently has 16GB & I'm considering doubling that. 

Edited by rqt, 17 May 2016 - 02:50 PM.

#8 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 AM

Posted 17 May 2016 - 02:56 PM

Well I have two internal SATA HDs (1tb & 500gb), if I get the software, these internal HD's should be fine right?

Well, it's recommended that each internal HD is backed up elsewhere, preferably onto external media.

However, years ago, I had two twin HDs, 1 with C and E, 1 with D & F.  Backed up C onto F, backed up D onto E.  You can do it that way if you want; just be forewarned, it's not as safe and secure as external HDs getting the full images of your OS and data partitions.

Edited by RolandJS, 17 May 2016 - 02:57 PM.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#9 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,398 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2016 - 03:04 PM

I've switched out the i5 for an i7 and the z97 for a z170, check out the pieces above. And I'm surprised about the SSD, is there any other SSD you would recommend?
Thanks

i7-5820K is much better and not much more expensive than i7-6700 IMO. You will need LGA2011-3 motherboard however.

Crucial BX100 is OK but not available from Ebuyer so MX200 has MLC http://www.ebuyer.com/698038-crucial-ct500mx200ssd1-mx200-500gb-2-5inch-7mm-with-9-5mm-adapter-ssd-ct500mx200ssd1

Forget specs. 850 Evo is very slow when it's SLC buffer gets filled.

Edited by Drillingmachine, 17 May 2016 - 03:04 PM.

#10 SyianZi

SyianZi
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 79 posts
  •  

Posted 17 May 2016 - 03:21 PM

Well, it's recommended that each internal HD is backed up elsewhere, preferably onto external media.

However, years ago, I had two twin HDs, 1 with C and E, 1 with D & F.  Backed up C onto F, backed up D onto E.  You can do it that way if you want; just be forewarned, it's not as safe and secure as external HDs getting the full images of your OS and data partitions.

Alright, I have added this External HD to my list, it's cheap, USB3 and as soon as Windows 10 is installed  and a backup is made, will be put back in its box and stored.

Thanks

i7-5820K is much better and not much more expensive than i7-6700 IMO. You will need LGA2011-3 motherboard however.

Crucial BX100 is OK but not available from Ebuyer so MX200 has MLC http://www.ebuyer.com/698038-crucial-ct500mx200ssd1-mx200-500gb-2-5inch-7mm-with-9-5mm-adapter-ssd-ct500mx200ssd1

Forget specs. 850 Evo is very slow when it's SLC buffer gets filled.

Ok great, I've switched the SSD to the one you recommended. I think I'll stick with the i7-6700 however as the i5-820k is £70 more expensive, though I agree it looks nicer, especially with a 15mb cache.

"One of the questions about the CPU I have listed now, is that on Intel's website, it says "Memory Types: DDR4-1866/2133". The motherboard states memory from DDR4 2133 and upwards. Would this mean the DDR4 RAM I chose at 2666 would now sit well with the CPU?"

Don't worry about the RAM spec for the CPU  - the RAM spec for the motherboard is what matters. The 2666 RAM will work fine (I have Crucial 2666 RAM in my Gigabyte Z170 based board which has is i5-6600K CPU). Personally I'd be looking for more than 8GB though - mine currently has 16GB & I'm considering doubling that. 

Thanks for this, it's good to know. I think I'll push it to 16gb on my next months wages after I finish buying all of this :) 

Edited by SyianZi, 17 May 2016 - 03:26 PM.

System Information:

Spoiler

#11 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,363 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 AM

Posted 24 May 2016 - 09:26 PM

No need for an i7 5820k. Most games use at max four cores so I doubt it would make a difference. For gaming you need higher per core performance which the 6700 achieves with its higher clock speed.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#12 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,398 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2016 - 08:54 AM

No need for an i7 5820k. Most games use at max four cores so I doubt it would make a difference. For gaming you need higher per core performance which the 6700 achieves with its higher clock speed.

With DirectX 12 that will change, at least some way. Comparing those two:

- When using small amount of cores, difference is barely noticable, when using all cores, 5820K is much faster

- LGA1151 (6700) is low/mid end platform while LGA2011-3 (5820K) is high end platform

- 5820K platform will last much longer

- 5820K can be overclocked while 6700 not

- 5820K has proper material under heatspreader while 6700 has crappy paste (it's kind of a miracle that anyone buys that LGA1151 crap)

- Considering that thermal paste problem, 5820K may have actually higher clock speed when using just few cores

Price difference is so small and quality difference so big that I still say 5820K is better choice.

#13 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,363 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 AM

Posted 25 May 2016 - 02:38 PM

I don't want to argue with you drillingmachine but the user has no use for 2 extra cores. A 5820k would not only be £70 more expensive but it would require a more expensive motherboard to go with it. The difference in performance between 4 cores and 6 in gaming is negligible.

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#14 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,398 posts
  •  

Posted 25 May 2016 - 03:11 PM

I don't want to argue with you drillingmachine but the user has no use for 2 extra cores. A 5820k would not only be £70 more expensive but it would require a more expensive motherboard to go with it. The difference in performance between 4 cores and 6 in gaming is negligible.

Thre is no need to argue, because today is today and tomorrow is tomorrow. Current DirectX 11 games are limited by single core performance. DirectX 12 will change that. There are already some games, like Football Manager that use almost every core available. And for example Star Citizen wants not six but eight core Intel. And in case thread starter does not need more than 4 cores, then i5-6600K is equally fast as i7-6700 and cheaper. I think that 300 dollar CPU should be future proof. And I don't consider any quad core CPU as future proof because extra cores have always use. If nothing else, virtual machines offer good protection against crypto viruses.

So basically:

Need at most 4 cores, 6600K is overclockable and much cheaper than 6700. Speeds are equal.

Need more than 4 cores, i5-5820K is much better than i7-6700 because of two cores.

And perhaps it's just me but if I pay 300 dollar for CPU, I want good build quality and not crap that i7-6700 offers under heatspreader.

But maybe we should question why i7- 6700 and not i5-6600K if max 4 cores are needed. 70£ is quite much for just Hyper threading...

Edited by Drillingmachine, 25 May 2016 - 03:13 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users